BMW Connected Drive Android Issues

Re: BMW Connected Drive Android Issues

jediant
Casual Listener

Same story on my new X1. Spotify disappears randomly mid-song, and isn't selectable until I restart the car.

martinsixsmith
Music Fan

Hi jediant

My Spotify seems to be running ok now although I have not yet had the opportunity to test it on a long journey. So far maximum 30minutes but it seems to be behaving itself.

What seems to work for me was ensuring that no power saving settings from Galaxy G7, Android 7.0, were applied to either the BMW Connected App or the Spotify App. Go into Settings, Battery and make sure that both the BMW and Spotify Apps are selected as “ unmonitored apps that won’t be suggested to be put to sleep”.

I always open the Spotify app via BMW Connected - this may be “snake oil”or wahetever but it seems to work.

i hope this works for you - my apologies if you have already tried these steps.

bcm3237
Casual Listener

Is this solution still working?

SimonRoper19
Casual Listener
Thanks. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

jediant
Casual Listener
I'll try that, thanks!

martinsixsmith
Music Fan

An update to previous posts. Had my first long drive a couple of days ago and, yes, after about one hour the sound stopped and the Spotify logo had disappeared from the iDrive screen. By switching to “ Galaxy S7” on the screen the sound continued via Bluetooth but there was no  album artwork and I was limited to “ next track” or “ previous track”. All other functionality was gone ( selecting albums, playlists etc ). Only way to recover Spotify was to relaunch the Spotify app on my phone - not something you want to do while driving !

Overall, a **bleep** scenario for the premium brands involved in this fiasco.

.......and by the way, iOS users also seem to be having connectivity issues with BMW / Spotify if you look at the latest blogs.

Would be interested in potential solutions from Spotify - and please don’t mention clean install etc. That’s all been tried and the problem of connectivity randomly disappearing still exists.

bcm3237
Casual Listener

No matter what  I try, the Spotify app always disappears. I then have to restart everything  to get it working again. Terrible!!

EvrenTR
Regular

Do you think the problem is related with bmw? spotify? or android?

martinsixsmith
Music Fan

That's the big question. Having exhausted ( I think ! ) all the different forums on this issue, I am leaning towards it being more a BMW specific problem. Why ?

1. Apparently BMW fear that the predicted demise of the internal combustion engine will leave them ever more dependant on software in the future to run their cars, This leaves them vulnerable to the likes of Apple and Google and if they cannot control this they will simple become a "hardware" manufacturer with drastically reduced profits - think IBM / Microsoft as an example.

2. The Spotify problem is not confined to Android users. See attached :

https://michaelkummer.com/technology/major-bluetooth-audio-issues-iphone-bmw-no-carplay/

3. Android Auto is not available an any BMW model - nor will it be. BMW charges for Apple Car Play unlike most other auto companies.

4. Deezer / Android combo is not supported by BMW although Deezer is supported for ios. Makes no sense and BMW can only lose goodwill because of this.

5. Seemingly, Spotify / Android combo works well on most other makes of car but, as a BMW driver for many years, I cannot vouch for this.

Bottom line is that I am drawn to the conclusion that BMW are not giving these connectivity issues any priority, preferring to plan for the future by paddling their own canoe.

Perssonheterjag

I actually after like 2 months of trying reached BMW support about this issue got a response!
They said that Spotify needs an update to work well in their cars. And that update will be released in May/June this year.
Lets hope they do what they promise. Because this is embarrassing...

SUGGESTED POSTS