Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Black screen

Solved!

Black screen

My daughter woke up yesterdaymorning and the Spotify app didn´t work. It was just a black screen. We have tried to do all the recommendations that we can find here but nothing works. When trying to re install we only get the spotify logo on a black screen and then redirect us to the google play. The phone is a galaxy S5 and everuthing else works fine and here spotify account works fine on other phones.

We tried everything, hard reset, SD card clean etc.... What shall we do??

52 Replies

Version of Spotify: 3.8.0.800
Version of Android: Android 5.0
Device: Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900M)
Date it started happening: October 6

Version of Spotify: 3.8.0.800
Version of Android: Android 5.0
Device: Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F)
Date it started happening: October 6

Any updates in when you expect this issue to be resolved?

Everyone seems to be posting about having Android 5.0.... I have an S5 with 5.0 and my spotify is still working, but my phone has other issues, (unrelated, so I won't go into it) that are preventing me from downloading the latest software update.

Have you all tried going into "settings," down to "system update," and selecting "update now"? My phone tells me there is an update available, I am just unable to download it due to unrelated issues. 

Let me know if this helps...

I tried it, installed the latest update, didn't work 😞

People, I've contacted Spotify through twitter (@spotifycare) they've sent me a link with a previous version of the app, which works fine, and is a workaround until they find a solution for the latest version.

Oh!! And I have the latest version of software /firmware available for my phone also

@Cyudowsky wrote:
People, I've contacted Spotify through twitter (@spotifycare) they've sent me a link with a previous version of the app, which works fine, and is a workaround until they find a solution for the latest version.

what's the link? 

Ok, whats the Link?

Marked as solution

Apparently my last message did not get through but by manually updating twice, Spotify now works for me on Android 5 on Galaxy S5. I think that with the latest Android 5 update it disabled the automatic updates, causing me to think I had the latest version but apparently didn't. There is still an update waiting for me but I'm keeping it as it is right now since this works 100%

Screenshot of the info screen from settings with my version:

Screenshot_2015-10-09-12-57-00.png

Manually update Android as instructed above worked for me! Phone is way faster too now btw, I think personally that the Android 5 version I had before was some rushed version with lots of bugs

Screenshot_2015-10-09-13-00-48 (1).png

Android 5, Galaxy S5

Kernel 3.40-4664691

This worked for me...Thanks 🙂

Hey guys!

I'm glad you guys found a workaround 🙂

For now may i please ask that you guys post your device info (Device/OS/Spotify Version that's not working) in this post here 🙂

For those of you who don't know about the Workaround:

please check for any Android firmware updates available.

we aware of an issue with Samsung S5s and are working on a fix. While we do, you can download a slightly older version of the app. Just head to your phone's Settings > Security > check 'Unknown sources'. Then head to this link to download the app:

https://d1clcicqv97n4s.cloudfront.net/android/s5/SpotifyAndroid.apk

We'd recommend using this version of the app for about a month, just to be safe. In a month's time, switch back to the version from Play Store. Sorry for any inconvenience 

Suggested posts