Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Home Screen Freezing

Home Screen Freezing

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Operating System

One UI 2.5 - Android 10

My Question or Issue

The app keeps freezing after entering a playlist, then trying to go back to the home screen. The app will not respond to input until it is force closed and reopened. This happens almost every time I go back to the homepage, by pressing the back button in the system controls, the back button in the app, or by just selecting the home button in the app. 

If I am currently playing a song, then go back to the homepage and freeze the app, I can still select the song and access the now playing screen. I can use the media controls in the notification area while the app is frozen.

This issue does not occur while switching playlists in search or library tabs.

I have cleared data and cache, uninstalled, verified no local spotify files on device, then reinstalled. Same issue. I have restarted the phone multiple times.

Screenshot_20210415-121233_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20210415-115218_Spotify.jpg
23 Replies

Hey hey @user-removed!

Thanks for reaching out. We'll do our best to help you out here.

We can recommend that you check the phone's battery settings and make sure that Spotify is set as an exception if you're using the battery optimization option.

It's also a good idea to check that Spotify has the permissions to run in the background.

If that's not causing the issue, could you let us your Spotify version and, if possible, if you experience this on other mobile devices - like for example a friend's or a family member's phone?

We'll be on the lookout for your answer and we'll see what we can suggest next. Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you in the meantime.

Keep us in the loop here.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

App version is 8.6.18.720

I disabled app optimization and allowed it to run in the background, same issue.

Unfortunately, I don't have another device to test on. 

At times it seems like a gradually increasing issue. Eg, I enter a playlist and go back to the home screen, then to another playlist - repeatedly. It will work the first 3-5 times, then the app gets increasingly slower and eventually freezes up entirely. However, at other times it will freeze the first or second time going back to the home page in the app. 

Hi @user-removed,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

If you have an SD card we suggest that you uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

We also suggest that you double-check so that your device has enough storage.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I believe there's a software conflict that should be looked in to for Android devices. Seems to replicate itself on 2 separate Motorola mobile devices.

My issues have only started within the past few days as of this addition and I think there might've been an update to the app in that time?

Version: 8.6.18.720 

App: Mobile

Device: Moto G Power / Moto Z3 Play

Plan: Premium - Family

Tried the following fixes on both devices with no resolution to the issue:

1. uninstall > clear all local files (stored music + settings + cache) > restart > reinstall + restart
  2. App settings > removing battery/data throttling settings for spotify > enable access to Storage, Camera, Contacts, and Speaker > restart.
  3. Logging out, back in again.
  4. Combinations of all 3

Only workaround I've found is to never use the homepage and to constantly force close the app. It'll even crash the phones entirely, locking up both systems and forcing me to do a hard reset.

Are there any additional steps not listed in the thread above we can try to resolve this issue? Can we rollback to the previous mobile version?

Thanks for the response

I have removed the SD card a while back when first troubleshooting this issue as it was a suggested general TS step. I have clean reinstalled several times since. I still have the sd card removed.

I have approximately 75gb free space on my internal storage, so that's not the issue.

Hi folks, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

@YoungElderGod, would you mind checking if the issue persists if you use a different internet connection? Also, would you mind letting us know if you have any cache-clearing apps that cleans your phone's cache constantly? If so, we'd suggest adding Spotify to the exception list.

@user-removed, could you check if the OS of your device has any pending updates? Additionally, could you ask a friend or a relative to log in to their account in your device to check if the issue persists with a different account?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

No access to a separate internet connection at the moment, I'll try it next time I'm out. I did turn off WiFi entirely and switch to mobile data to see if that helped, no dice.

No cache clearing apps in my case.

Hey there @YoungElderGod,

Thanks for your quick reply. 

Could you check if the OS of your device has any pending updates? 

Additionally, sending us a screen recording of the issue happening would come in handy. You can attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

@Eni

I don't think there is an option to have multiple user profiles on my Samsung Galaxy Note 9, as far as I can tell. 

I have no pending OS updates.

I took a screen recording of the issue, but it's over the 5mb limit. Are we allowed to post a link to an external hosting site here?

Thanks

Hi there @user-removed, 

Thanks for your reply. 

No worries, to check with a different account you can log out from your account and ask a friend to log in with their own account. This will help us know if the issue is account-related. 

On another note, you can upload the screen recording to Google Drive and send us the link. Make sure it's visible to others with the link.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

EniModerator

No pending updates. Looks like its Android Version 10, most recent update was a security patch installed 01FEB2021. Next scheduled update from Motorola is in some months in the future and it should include a migration to Android 11. 

My phone doesn't have a native screen recorder, so I'll need to download something after doing some research on apps. But from their screenshots, gezafisch's issue is the exact same as mine, so when they post their capture I can confirm if it matches my experience.

Hey again @YoungElderGod

Thanks for all the information you've sent so far!

In this case, we'll be waiting for @user-removed's screen recording so we can take a closer look. 

Cheers 🙂

EniModerator

Here's a screen capture of the issue. As you can see, the app works normally for a little bit, then freezes up. Sometimes it happens sooner, but it never takes much longer than what's depicted in the video. I turned on touch indicators so you can see at the end, I'm tapping around in the app but nothing's working, except for the now playing screen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-ldGqc9o0dgC6apCLrjI_luTRVednvf2/view?usp=sharing

I created a new spotify account and logged into it with the app. Under limited testing, the issue does not appear to be present, however, as it is not a premium subscription, i am unable to test using custom playlists. 

Hey there @user-removed,

Thank you for your reply and for the screen recording.

In the screen recording, it appears that you're in Do Not Disturb mode (there's a circle icon with a dash inside in the notification tray). Can you toggle it off > quit Spotify > wait a couple moments and launch Spotify?

It would also be great if you can try with a Wi-Fi to see if the issue persist?

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

With "Do Not Disturb" off, and connected to WiFi, issue persists

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

If there are no changes, it sounds like this could be an account-related issue.

In this case we'd suggest you head here and contact our support team. The folks there can check your account and give you more information about it.

We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I had this same issue. After reaching out to support they transferred my account to a new one and it was fixed.

I have submitted a support request and am awaiting a reply. I will update this thread with the results.

Thanks for your help!

After reaching out to Spotify support and requesting an account transfer, my playlists and premium subscription was transferred to a new account under a different email address. 

It appears to have fixed the issue. Hopefully after my old account is deleted, I'll be able to change the email address on my new account back to my main email address. 

FYI - when your account is transferred, none of your listening history or followed artists/podcasts are transferred, only your saved playlists. 

Suggested posts