Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Losing Volume Control with Chromecast

Losing Volume Control with Chromecast

Well, my problem of Chromecast randomly disconnecting with Spotify stopped with latest update (to Spotify) - but I'm experiencing another isue: I frequently lose volume control on my phone.

For instance, I’ll try turning the music down and notice I’m turning down the phone’s ringtone instead. All other functions work; I can pause or skip songs, I can change playlists, etc. - just no volume control.

I've tried all the usual debugging steps; uninstall/reinstall apps, check for updated versions, reset chromecast, etc.... The only fix is to close the app and relaunch it – and then a short while later, it’ll lose volume control again…

Since I'm not always adjusting the volume, I don't always notice if there is a problem. But I do know that sometimes I have no problems for days, other times I notice it several times within an hour or two.

Here're some of my details:

• Samsung S6 
  • Android 7.0
  • Spotify 8.4.9.271
  • Chromecast 1.24.8807 (Chromecast 2nd gen)

Any help with this is much appreciated.

68 Replies

@jenswestmoen, Yes, I had a chat with someone from Spotify two days ago and we tried the same. I first wanted to test it for some days, but now I guess I can say, this solved the problem for me.

Also, doing this for other apps solved some other problems 🙂

This did not work for me, still having issues...

I disabled the battery saving feature (app power monitor) for Spotify as suggested. Lauched Spotify, connected to Chromecast and let play from playlist a few minutes. Woke up the phone, went to change volume and it adjusted ringtone volume.

This is not a solution for:

Samsung S8

Android 7.0

Spotify 8.4.26.770

Chromecast (2nd Generation)

Google Home 1.25.81.28

Hello,

To me, we do not need to set the app as "not optimized" in battery settings.

When unlocking phone after long period of inactivity (leaving only spotify casting), the spotify apps reopens and sees the chromecact playing correctly (song and position in the song). All functionality is restored after this, except volume control of the chromecast...

As a work arround, you can swipe close spotify. The re open.

After this, spotify restores all functionality including chromecast volume control...

Br;

Seems it is working fine since last update

Still not working for me.. Latest version of Android (8.1.0) and Spotify as of this writing.

Thanks, this solved it for me.

Suprisingly I didn't even have to restart the app. (changed it while I was casting)

Got back to the app and was directly presented with my belived volume bar 🙂

As a workaround I used to just open the Google Home app, and change volume from there.

Same here, using with Google home. Stopping battery optimisation does not solve it for me. Restarting spotty app does not work either. I go into the Google home app and control volume from there. Not a great UX.

+1 on this still being an issue, even with Battery Optimization turned.

Hope this gets addressed soon.

Still not sure why this is tagged as Solved - IT IS NOT SOLVED!

And to echol what others have posted here, the best workaround is to launch Google Home and use that for controling volume. It's still a pain (and still absurd that users have to do this) but it's better than closing and relaunching Spotify every time you want to adjust the volume. 

Agree, this is NOT solved. Very frustrating - this has been a bug for a long time now. Battery optimization is not the issue. Only going via the Google home app works for adjusting the volume, or restarting the Spotify app.

This seems to be a problem on my wife's iPhone X as well. Really needs to be fixed.

Still an issue. 

It can be reproduced on my Android by disconnecting and reconnecting to the wifi network (e.g. stepping out of range, or being switched between two wifi access points).

For me the battery setting change helped, but only while I was on one steady access point. 

Device is an LG G6.

Exactly as you filski but on a Moto G4. Android v7.

Same issue with Galaxy S6 Edge. Very annoying. I also own an iPhone and the volume control never disappears when I play it at home using the Chromecast. 

Battery optimization solution works as charm!

Unfortunately, not for me - still an issue...

What're your details: phone, model, OS and spotify versions, etc.?

I have a Samsung S6 edge with andriod 7.0 and spotify up to date (8.4.32.623 arm V7) with cromecast 2. Diferent menu but similar. 

I've have it in spanish, so i kind of traslate.

Ajustes/ Manenimiento del Dispositivo / Bateria / Apps sin supervision 

Have to go to Settings/ Device manteniment / batery / apps without supervision 

There you have to check spotify in order to not allow to close it when its in backgroud. Hope its help!

This solution did not work for me. 

Still having the issue on Galaxy S8, Android 7.0

Didn't work for me either. On galaxy s8

Problem with my Note 8 too, battery optimization didn't work. The volume control works on my girlfriend's OnePlus 3T on the same Chromecast.

I have noticed that the volume issue isn't just with Spotify but with other apps as well.

*Edit*

I edited the permissions and the notification settings for Google Play Services scince it seems that this is the app that lets you control the Chromecast. I set all the permissions to allow and checked the "Set as priority" in the notification settings. After a reboot it seems like I can control the volume even with my screen turned off, this I have never been able to before.

Suggested posts