Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Losing Volume Control with Chromecast

Losing Volume Control with Chromecast

Well, my problem of Chromecast randomly disconnecting with Spotify stopped with latest update (to Spotify) - but I'm experiencing another isue: I frequently lose volume control on my phone.

For instance, I’ll try turning the music down and notice I’m turning down the phone’s ringtone instead. All other functions work; I can pause or skip songs, I can change playlists, etc. - just no volume control.

I've tried all the usual debugging steps; uninstall/reinstall apps, check for updated versions, reset chromecast, etc.... The only fix is to close the app and relaunch it – and then a short while later, it’ll lose volume control again…

Since I'm not always adjusting the volume, I don't always notice if there is a problem. But I do know that sometimes I have no problems for days, other times I notice it several times within an hour or two.

Here're some of my details:

• Samsung S6 
  • Android 7.0
  • Spotify 8.4.9.271
  • Chromecast 1.24.8807 (Chromecast 2nd gen)

Any help with this is much appreciated.

68 Replies

The suggestion from hallonsas worked, where everything else had failed. Thank you! On my Samsung S7, I went to advanced notification settings, and set Google Play services as priority.

Now I can control the volume on my Chromecast even with the screen off. No more running back and forth to the TV.

Come on Spotify!!! Fix this annoying problem that sooooo many people like me are also experiencing - Grrrrrrrrr

Update: I still lose volume control sometimes with the above “fix”, just not as often.

Where the battery optimization did seem to work for a while the problem has now returned.

Spority please FIX THIS it's very annoying.

Same issue on my OP3!  Was fixed for a day other the battery optimization disable but the problem has come back!! Please fix this bug!!!

Tried hallonsas method, still having problems 😕 on galaxy s8. 

Btw, please go vote for this idea. I think you will like it 🙂 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Chromecast-Volume-control-for-multiple-Speakers/idc-p/44...

Same problem on Galaxy J5 😞

also facing this problem, no one from Spotify that cares about this issue? 

Apparently not. I have started testing old Spotify versions since I very
quickly after connecting to a chromecast group lose volume control - even
with phone on. About 5 mins after. Seems old versions work better on my
galaxy s8. Currently on 8.4.37 from
https://spotify.en.uptodown.com/android/old

Anyone tried old versions?

Maybe Spotify are so busy with the Nasdaq introduction that they don't have time to fix this. Who can blame them?

many can....

Thanks for the help, have been struggling with this one for a while!

Same problem tried the battery thing, didnt help, volume stops working after around 5mins, is SO FREAKING ANNOYING!!! How come Soundcloud or Google Music doesnt have this problem? maybe its time to switch... not to mention how many times spotify wont even see my chromecast audio even tho soundcloud or google music connects without a hitch. FIX IT SPOTIFY!!, also mark this not solved because its not solved.

Totally agree... VERY annoying!

bump, still not fixed

Changing battery\sleep settings does not fix this problem.  But, on the bright side, we have "stranger things mode!"  Good to see the devs have their priorities right. 

The closest I've come to a "fix" for this volume control issue when casting, and to keep the widget alive, is to download an app called Macrodroid (autosart and stay works too). For Macrodroid, set it to launch Spotify and then launch home screen on the trigger "screen on." Depending on how fast you access your phone, you may see Spotify appear and disappear.  This basically wakes up Spotify so that the widget and cast volume works every time you use your phone. Good luck. 

Here we are more than a year later and STILL having this problem!

I even have a new phone since first reporting this issue - new phone, new versions, same problem - come on Spotify!

I've tried adjusting the Google Play Services permissions, battery, you name it. The only workaround that works consistently is to use Google Home to control the volume (I don't even bother trying to use Spotify after the first 5 min). 

It's ridiculous we have to experiment with workarounds, and even sillier we have to resort to different apps and a bunch of steps to control the volume.... but here's how I use the Google Home app on my phone:

1. Launch Spotify and start casting
  2. Launch Home 
  3. Tap the 'currently casting' to open controls for that device
  4. You can now adjust the volume and pause/play
  5. Note: if or when Spotify disconnects from Chromecast, just tap the Open Spotify button at the bottom to reconnect

Here my specs: 

• Spotify v 8.4.67.886
  • Samsung S8 SM-G950U
  • Android 8.0.0
  • Chromecast 1.32.124602 (Gen 2, TV)
  • Home v 1.30.43.17

I used Google Home for a while it works reliably. I'm still using Auto start & stay, and prefer it because it keeps the widget alive too. 

What I really enjoy most about Spotify is the "Stranger Things" mode, such an amazing feature. /s

Yep, still happening

Suggested posts