Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music quality keeps changing!

Music quality keeps changing!

Hi,

I've download a bunch of songs into my android device but there is some songs who start playing with a good bitrate quality and end with a poor quality (I've chosen extremly high quality for download in settings)

I've tried redownloading songs but the bitrate keeps changing !

Is here anybody here with the same problem ?

Thanks

PS: Excuse me for my poor english i'm french.

8 Replies

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved - This includes checking redundant folders and a REBOOT!

[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I am sorry, I know you're just trying to help, but as an IT professional I really feel this kind of answer belongs in the late 90s. And should stay there. 

Really? Solve arbitrary bitrate change issues by re-installing the Android app? Appart from solving issues in really crappy software, this kind of thing really shouldn't be necessary in the year 2018. And certainly not when talking about the biggest, most popular and best funded streaming service in the entire planet!

Is there any kind of technical analysis that justifies this kind of solution? And what isithe advice if I experience the same problem on a Chromecast Ultra connected to a 50 Mbit wired internet connection? "Reinstall the firmware"??

The constant change in bitrate is quite obviously not an isolated Android issue. An android device does not facilitate the actual stream, only control data. So when experiencing this problem with embedded devices on arguably strong internet connections, there is little reason to "re-install". This is a server-side platform issue that Spotify needs to look at. Or it is a lack of capacity during peak hours - in which cases it should be clearly admitted and handled (as a paying customer this is not exactly a problem that makes me happy with the overall product experience).

Spotify: step up, and look into this. It's on your end for sure.

I have a similar problem where my Spotify has been set to extreme quality since I bought my Pixel 2, and it automatically sets the download quality back to normal after each relaucnh of the app.

Pixel 2 XL, same issue here.

I also have a Pixel 2 XL, and have been having this issue since I got it. The streaming quality keeps getting set to "Automatic" rather than "Normal" (not cool because I have limited mobile data) and my download quality keeps getting set to "Normal" rather than "Extreme" (not cool because I download a lot of music for the road and prefer to listen to **bleep**-quality music as little as possible).

Xperia xz2 compact 

Downloads quality changes from extreme quality to Normal on its own. 

Every time it happens I re-download everything at extreme. I have unlimited data, but it is bad for everyone involved in every other way for reasons I do not need to mention. 

Jeesus what a **bleep** comment from the support. This is clearly a thought out "function" to save bitrate. Step your game up. Last time I had an issue that you answered with a shitty response I canceled my sub. Will cancel if this problem is not fixed.

If I should provide any help (not needed I suspect since you clearly know that the issue exists, and you should own up to it and just admitt it). I'm on galaxy S8 and S5 both are from time to time resetting the audio settings. EVEN IF I have not changed equalizer or updated the app. Last night it it just flipped itself. I have turned off automatic updates.

I also flagged "Daniels" **bleep** response as inappropriate. Because it is. Come up with a better answer and the community might start liking you.

Yeah I know. Thats why I was throwing fists to maybe get a reaction!

Anyway. I have already cancelled my sub and won't be back untill it is fixed. That is the only way we can "vote"; with our dollas'.

Peace!

Suggested posts