Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No SD Card storage !!

Solved!

No SD Card storage !!

Hello evdb,

I just bought a SD Card for Spotify ... and realised it's not possible to use it with Spotify !

Hello guys .... We are in 2012 ! We need to use space as we want.

The "solution" is to downgrade Spotify, clear data, and add path to SD Card in the settings then upgrade to the latest version ...

If I had to search 10 mins more I woukd have unsubscribed to my premium account.

Who !? In your team decided to remove the SD Storage option ? Idiot !

72 Replies

SO ... Let's wait the next release.

User are able to submit new ideas. Devs and product owners should also get some kudos before removing something 😉

Seriously I must admint that for me and for a lot of people I think ... Spotify is the best music soft which was invented since Napster (and it's legal) so don't be "bad commercial politic" oriented ... but user oriented. 

You don't want people to store too much music ? (royalties or somehting else ?) Try to find a solution with the community not in your own.

The storage limit of tracks has always been in the region of 3,333 tracks per device, and each account can have a max of three devices.
Airhorn Enthusiast

We know that ... but we don't know the origin of this limitation (number of tracks)

Performance ? Legal ? Commercial ?

It's all about license with record labels.

The store limit of 3,333 tracks is actually a racially motivated move against Jamaicans and the Irish.

Disgusting.

(I'm joking)

@RossF-B wrote:

Thanks for this.

Just attempted it. I did the following:

• My files
  • Scrolled down to 'external-sd' and selected this option.
  • Selected 'Create folder'
  • Created folder name: 'Test'
  • Opened this folder
  • Location given as:  /sdcard/external_sd/Test

Still no joy, am I doing something wrong? As this still appears to be the same pathway I entered earlier, but obviously without '/Test' and it still gave me the pop-up window showing: No such folder - The path you enter must exist.

Please do not include test path to Spotify. You need test folder only to know path to sd card.

So your path is /sdcard/external_sd/

If no joy, delete app and install it again. Then use this right path and see if this works.

it is beyond ridiculous now that this issue is still going on! it's been months, yet we still get the rehashed response of "it may be included in a future upgrade".. why is it taking so long to implement a feature that was once there to begin with? what is more upsetting is the fact that customer support has been terrible. i've been a paying member from the beginning, yet i received no response when emailing spotify support. it would help to ease your customers' concerns if a dev would just chime in once in a while to let us know what is really going on.

Juste received an update a few days ago .... no sd card config ...

Wait & see what "in a coming relase" means ...

Worked like a charm! Thanks for the steps.

@hpguru wrote:

App is re-designed. This SD Card thing is coming in future update.

Workaround, download this version https://rapidshare.com/files/2999426550/SpotifyAndroid.apk

Some Android phones have both internal storage and an SD card slot. In order for Spotify to use the SD card for storage of offline playlists, you will need to manually specify which folder you want it to use. Please keep in mind that your offline playlists will need to be re-synced after doing this:

1. Download this apk file.
  2. Enable third part apps in Settings.
  3. Install this apk file.
  4. While at the login screen, press the hardware Menu key and select SD Location.
  5. Enter the path to a folder on the SD card.

Finding the exact path to your SD card can be done with a file manager and can differ between phones.

On the Samsung Galaxy S, for example, you should use:

/mnt/sdcard/external_sd

Spotify will then store tracks in this folder:

/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/Android/Data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

Go to Market and update Spotify to new without removing old version. Now you can delete Spotify's Storage in Cache from your phone's built-in memory card. You can find it with file manager, just search it from built-in memory card in Android - Data - Spotify - Cache - Storage folder. The new Storage folder is now in external Micro SD card, so you can delete this old Storage folder if still in built-in memory card.

All done!

Someone get this man a beer. Immediatley!

Cheers dude, works like a charm!

It is a shame that it is still no updat for SD. 

The mentioned way works on my Galaxy SIi but not on my Galaxy Tab 7.7 which I used the most for sportify. 

It was not working on a Tab2 wifi so I bought this one with a sim card and now this problem bah...

How can you remove such a feature? With 32GB SD cards available for 20US$, it is clear that people wants to save their music on SD cards and not in the internal memory. I don't want to use a workaround, this feature should be right in the application.

Do the right thing, do it quickly.

parsifal wrote:

Do the right thing, do it quickly.

That's not how Spotify rolls. The only updates I've seen in the last 4 months are the NFC sharing thing on the android app (how many are going to use this??) and the option to sign up without Facebook (implemented very poorly and makes the signup page seem broken, unfixed for almost two months now).

Fixing problems is taking an eternity for their developers. The new radio was the last major update 4 months ago and you still can't delete radio stations. That being the most obvious flaw in it and it's still unfixed. They just don't bother to fix it.

The same thing is happening with the thread's topic - SD card storage: this feature was present on the old app, but Spotify's development team is INCREDIBLY LAZY and don't bother adding it. I sometimes feel bad for their support team taking all the hate while the developers continue slacking and doing nothing because they ain't getting any of that hate.

I honestly believe that I've done more work on my university's programming course in the last two months than the entire Spotify development team in the last four months. If they really worked at least 35 hours a week like normal people, things wouldn't be fixed this slowly. Are your developers on vacation?

I'm also considering cancelling my account if this is not fixed.

Okay, I bought a new phone and signed up for a 2 year contract only to be able to use Spotify on the move.
This app is a big joke. First, the inefficient, impractical and limited user interface, and now this. No SD card support? What the hell? Even some recent phones only have a gigabyte of internal user storage.
But I guess that's in line with the general attitude and devolution of this service over the past years.
It's just a shame that a service with a big, high quality music catalogue that could have been great is turning into a relative pile of crap. I don't know what the Spotify developers are doing, their time certainly hasn't gone into improving the desktop client either.

The company presents a nice image, suggesting that they listen to their users, providing a forum to post suggestions and communicate. But they don't follow through at all. There are lots of great suggestions, some that would even be considered basic requirements for an application of this kind. Many requests are simple but useful features that should only take a few hours for any programmer to implement. But nothing is happening. It has to be said - with all the potential of this service, the actual reality of it is a disgrace.

I used to be a fan but it's becoming increasingly difficult as Spotify keeps letting me down again and again. If there was a viable alternative I would probably switch instantly.

Like I've said in the landscape thread, I've come to the conclusion that Spotify is not even trying to be a music streaming service anymore. It is a music SHARING service first and foremost.

Look at the latest update that fixed nothing in licenced's big thread of missing/requested features. Instead, it gave us some stupid Facebook thing and a sign up option that only gives the choice to use Facebook - no choice to make a Spotify account like on the website.

Spotify's management is completely blind to the large amount of users who only want to listen to music and don't wish to use the sharing features at all. The decision to require a Facebook account is a big sign of this.

It looks to me as Spotify's strategy is to be bought by Facebook. This would at least explain their prioritization.

I started to look for another cloud music provider. Can you suggest any other service?

I am extremely angry. I have a new Galaxy Note 2. I have promoted spotify for 2 years and got 20+ people to join. I have a 64gb card and a 16gb phone. 2days in to owning it I am maxed on on storage and don't know how to fix it. Only half of my play list was even added. I don't know how to clear it off now. I am incensed about this. Absolutely unacceptable. This isn't a wish list item but a mandatory keep your customers item. Please respond with a time line.

Suggested posts