Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Not possible to play playlist in order of most recently added since May 3 update

Solved!

Not possible to play playlist in order of most recently added since May 3 update

Plan: Premium

Device: Samsung Galaxy S9

Operating System: Android 10

My Question or Issue

Since the May 3 update, in the Android App, if I sort my playlist by most recently added (3 dots->sort playlist->recently added up arrow), the most recently added song is correctly displayed at the top, but when I play it the player actually moves upward in the playlist oldest to newest, not newest to oldest. 

If you sort the playlist from oldest to newest (recently added down arrow), the oldest song is displayed at the top and the player plays it downward as expected, it is only the up arrow that works incorrectly. I confirmed that shuffle is off. I confirmed that when sorting a playlist by title alphabetically, either up or down arrow, the player always plays it downward as expected, only when you sort by most recently added up arrow does it play it upward incorrectly. I confirmed that multiple playlists in my account have this problem.

This is not how the Android app worked before the update, and it is not the intended operation. It is currently not possible to play the playlist from most recently added song to oldest added because sorting by recently added down arrow and recently added up arrow are the same order when the upward/downward movement is figured in. Sorting your playlist by most recently added seems like a common use-case because you want to hear the most recent music Discovery Weekly found for your that you added to your custom playlists. 

The Win10 Desktop app on the same account with the same playlist does not appear to have this problem, so if I sort by date added up arrow, the most recently added song is at the top and the player plays it downward as expected from newest to oldest. However, if I use the Android app to control the  Win10 Desktop player, it plays it incorrectly (up the playlist) like the Android app, so it seems like this is an issue with the Android app.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

We're aware of this issue and the right team from Spotify is working on it as we speak 🙂

You can head over to this Ongoing Issue Thread for more info. Add your +Vote and subscribe to stay up to date with any development.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I also have the same problem, using an Android app for a Samsung Note 20 device.

I have the same issue in the android app.

Marked as solution

Hi folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

We're aware of this issue and the right team from Spotify is working on it as we speak 🙂

You can head over to this Ongoing Issue Thread for more info. Add your +Vote and subscribe to stay up to date with any development.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks. I tried valiantly to search for this before posting, as I figured someone else surely noticed the same problem, but alas I could not find this first thread.

Suggested posts