Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Offline music goes away after each restart and has to be re-downloaded

Offline music goes away after each restart and has to be re-downloaded

Hi there!

If someone could help me with this issue on my android phone.

Would greatly appreciate.

Thank you.

10 Replies

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved - This includes checking redundant folders and a REBOOT!

[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I have the exact same issue on my Galaxy S5, and nothing in the above linked guide helped me. Good luck.

Having same issue on multiple adroid devices my works fine and works even after my device is powered down but after about 24 hours although there still showing I just get item unavailable switch Internet on and presto work fine again for another 24 hours really fustrating

I never post on forums, but this issue caused me a lot of issues over the last couple months and I thought I'd share my resolution. I came on here when the issue was quite prevalent and no one had a proper fix.

My Spotify Android app would download music from my offline playlists, then somehow the music would be deleted and the playlist would automatically re-download the next time I started the app; this issue occured over and over again, so I was forced to stop downloading offline playlists. Also, songs would stop randomly while streaming them on wifi or 3G/4G and I'd have to skip the song to get Spotify to play again. The music would go quiet although the time bar would show the song was still playing.

Well, after having issues with Spotify and another player, I was thinking that my MicroSD card was at fault. The way I tested it was by putting it in its adapter and plugging it into my PC and adding files/folders/etc. The files would appear to be added, but then when I would place the card back in my phone, the files would mysteriously disappear. I originally blamed it on the Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) write permissions to MicroSD cards, but concluded that it didn't cause the issues. Those permissions only prevent apps from writing outside their proper folders. If you look at your MicroSD card folders, Spotify creates it's own folder and has full read/write permission to download and play music. The issue with the songs stopping randomly was simply because Spotify is designed to download the song into it's local cache to prevent buffering/skipping issues. Those files weren't being properly written to the MicroSD card. So when the song got to that point, the cached part of the song had been deleted because my MicroSD card was screwed up.

The actual issue? A faulty MicroSD card. The card somehow went into read-only mode (the write functions were broken). My Galaxy S4 and my PC both could not properly write to the MicroSD card or if they did, the files would not stay on the card. I returned my MicroSD card to the manufacturer and their test showed that it was faulty. They immediately sent me a new one.

I receieved my new card and no longer suffer from this issue. My ofline playlists are saved in "extreme quality" to the MicroSD card and my music no longer stops randomly while playing a song even when streaming using wifi or 3G/4G.

I hope this helps everyone who has had this issue.

Oh! Thats interesting because I use a LG G3 and I only recently inserted a SD CARD into my phone and maybe thats the issue.

@AvtnPilot wrote:

I never post on forums, but this issue caused me a lot of issues over the last couple months and I thought I'd share my resolution. I came on here when the issue was quite prevalent and no one had a proper fix.

My Spotify Android app would download music from my offline playlists, then somehow the music would be deleted and the playlist would automatically re-download the next time I started the app; this issue occured over and over again, so I was forced to stop downloading offline playlists. Also, songs would stop randomly while streaming them on wifi or 3G/4G and I'd have to skip the song to get Spotify to play again. The music would go quiet although the time bar would show the song was still playing.

Well, after having issues with Spotify and another player, I was thinking that my MicroSD card was at fault. The way I tested it was by putting it in its adapter and plugging it into my PC and adding files/folders/etc. The files would appear to be added, but then when I would place the card back in my phone, the files would mysteriously disappear. I originally blamed it on the Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) write permissions to MicroSD cards, but concluded that it didn't cause the issues. Those permissions only prevent apps from writing outside their proper folders. If you look at your MicroSD card folders, Spotify creates it's own folder and has full read/write permission to download and play music. The issue with the songs stopping randomly was simply because Spotify is designed to download the song into it's local cache to prevent buffering/skipping issues. Those files weren't being properly written to the MicroSD card. So when the song got to that point, the cached part of the song had been deleted because my MicroSD card was screwed up.

The actual issue? A faulty MicroSD card. The card somehow went into read-only mode (the write functions were broken). My Galaxy S4 and my PC both could not properly write to the MicroSD card or if they did, the files would not stay on the card. I returned my MicroSD card to the manufacturer and their test showed that it was faulty. They immediately sent me a new one.

I receieved my new card and no longer suffer from this issue. My ofline playlists are saved in "extreme quality" to the MicroSD card and my music no longer stops randomly while playing a song even when streaming using wifi or 3G/4G.

I hope this helps everyone who has had this issue.

OMG!! THIS GUY WAS KIND OF CORRECT!!!

I REMEMBER READING THAT LOLLIPOP DOESNT SUPPORT WRITING INTO EXTERNAL SD CARDS and hence this is what made spotify redownload the songs after each restart.

Just remove the SD CARD, reinstall SPOTIFY APP and download the songs.

Restart your phone to see that all the songs are still available offline.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

I Was kind of disappointed since all the other music streaming services are nowhere near spotify.

HOPE YOU GUYS FIND MY POST USEFUL 🙂

Its kinda sad that you have to live without the SD card but it works.

You don't have to live without the SD card. The SD card you currently have may not be working properly. You should try writing to it on a PC with an adapter and see if it works. I am almost convinced that this was an issue caused by a Samsung Update. I have the Galaxy S4 and would be curious to see how many other Samsung Galaxy users have a similar issue with their MicroSD cards.

You can still buy a new card or have your old card replaced and use it to download all the songs you want; it will fix the problem. If you then do a delete cache/data from Spotify's Settings menu, uninstall the app, then reinstall it as a clean install, you can then enjoy your new MicroSD card because when you reinstall the app and it sees the NEW MicroSD card, it will create a new folder for itself to save all your Spotify offline music on that new card.

Android Lollipop (5.0) handles MicroSD cards differently, but better than KitKat (4.4). Lollipop allows apps to ask for permission to write to other folders (which Spotify has no use for) therefore, Spotify does not ask for it. Spotify just needs read/write access to it's own folder which it has in any Android platform.

My previous post was basically stating the MicroSD card was fried/broken. Simply replacing the MicroSD card may fix these issues.

I am not sure if your point is correct coz my sd card works fine with my PC and I could never do any file related operations within android as in things like copying files from internal to external sd card and so on.

Well I am not sure if a new sd card would fix this coz I am running a custom lollipop rom on my lg g3 and it is stock android without any skins.

I am happy that I can listen to my songs anyways.

I have the same. My musice is stored on phone's internal storage. All music gone every time phone restarts.

Paying premium is now pointless.

Spotify solve this asap. Or pay my pre-paid top-up so I can download 6GB everytime on your cost after each restart.

Cheers,

Erik

Is there any real solution available now?

I think the only solution is Spotify to fix the bug!

realy annoying situation, and the bug has been there now for a while, bad support.

Suggested posts