Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Play button on the left? Previous/Next button in the middle? please help!

Solved!

Play button on the left? Previous/Next button in the middle? please help!

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

USA

Device

Galaxy S20 FE

Operating System

Android ver. 12

My Question or Issue

I'm not sure why/when it happened, but today I noticed that the control buttons are rearranged! I've already tried reinstalling spotify, disable the canvas loop, nothing seems to be fixing it. If anyone has any ideas how to fix this please let me know! 

86 Replies

• same here, why the actual **bleep** would they put it on the left. Such a dumb place to move it

Hey everyone,

I've merged a few threads into this one so it's easier to track the feedback on this.

Spotify is always testing new things in the app, so what you are seeing is most likely a test.

https://support.spotify.com/article/why-has-the-app-changed/

Some tests are temporary, so it is possible that the now playing screen you see goes back to normal in the future.

Thanks for coming to the Community to post your feedback.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I hope Spotify takes this this layout away soon I absolutely hate it and doesn't help that I'm right handed and can't reach the pause button.
(Spotify please don't do this on the right side aswell)

Plan Premium

Country Netherlands

Device Samsung Galaxy S10+

Operating System Android 12, One UI 4.1

Spotify Update 8.7.30.1221

My Question or Issue

Yesterday, I played Spotify again as always, and when I opened my currently playing screen, I was negatively surprised by a new layout of the buttons. Instead of the familiar play back, pause/play and play forward and the other buttons below that, I now stumbles across what the screenshot attached shows. I presume this is a new feature. What went on in the minds of the developers to change the long industry standard and intuitive layout, to this, in my opinion, abomination? Why doesn't the settings have a switch to let users choose their layout? Is this by any chance a very weird finished bug? I'm very interested to know. 

Screenshot_20220515-124522_Spotify.jpg

Excuse me, I do see now that other users have also addressed this issue. I see that moderators fused multiple threads together. However, it did state that it is an experimentation. How come, however, that this isn't in a beta version for some folk interested in new experimental versions? Why aren't new features toggleable? I am quite frankly disgusted by this new layout. 

Very well said IkPatrick and I wholeheartedly agree. It's an industry standard and the only intuitive way to have a playing system.

Plan

Premium

Country

Poland

Device

Realme GT Master Edition

Operating System

Android 11

Realme UI 2.0

My Question or Issue

Weird layout of Play button an arrows.

(Play | left arrow | right arrow) like on screenshots

I tried reinstalling but it didn't work. 

Screenshot_2022-05-15-14-55-26-07_0438eb925998df20b3482ec25499d226.jpg
Screenshot_2022-05-15-13-00-28-81_0438eb925998df20b3482ec25499d226.jpg

This looks like a bad joke. 

I'm also here to complain. This is an objectively bad design. It makes no sense. Please revert this change.

Sony Xperia XZ1 here and buttons placement like this. Please make it as was before. That's wrong and confused. 

god, i was so scared i messed something up. this new update is not intuitive and aesthetic, looks like it's supposed to fit for one-hand use. and for left-handed people. welll, at least someone cares about them 🙏

Screenshot_20220515-194502_Spotify.jpg

Oh wow I didn't even consider how bad this would be for right handed people. I'm fairly ambidextrous but write with my left hand, carry my phone in my left pocket etc. This would be a nightmare trying to use it one handed as a right handed person. 

I've had this since today too, and it's so terrible... I'm left-handed, this makes the play button nearly impossible to tap if I'm holding something with my other hand, plus even with my other hand I tend to go by instinct/muscle memory and so i accidentally tap skip forward because that's the button at the center. Please please return the play/forward/backwards button to their normal placement...

They should use common sense before testing stupid stuff like this

This is not a solution. Solution would be to change it to better.

As a right-handed person with a big phone and who just had surgery on their left hand: Thanks a lot, Spotify. Who in their right mind agreed to this monstrosity?? 

This new UI is awful in every aspect. Please, roll it back to the previous one ASAP.
The play button is on the far left rather than in the middle, it is bad to click and makes it easier to missclick the back/next buttons.
There's an "empty space" for no reason, whereas in the previous UI the whole space had use, which was: to make it easier to click in the 3 buttons (back/ play/pause / next)
The "random" and "loop" buttons are so small that they are hard to see and are really difficult to click correctly, for someone with average-sized hands like me.
Please revert these untasteful changes with no usability improvement.

I could see shuffle will not work in NPS. This new UI is very buggy. Could you please put back previous and next button in the old format how it was. I really liked pause button in the centre. Moving play/pause to the left in NPS is not user friendly and i sometime mistakenly tap on next and previous. Very bad design i would say. New version is degrading my app experience. I had been listening on spotify for a long time and this new UI update really sucks and is not user friendly.

This new UI does not work, it's awful. I just wanted to contribute to the general consensus because I'd like it to revert back.

Is there a way to OPT OUT of this A/B test? It's absolutely horrible

Suggested posts