Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Samsung Galaxy 9+

Operating System

Android Oreo (8.0.0) 

My Question or Issue

Will occasionally pause playback of songs - This can happen between songs AND sudden, mid-track, with the phone screen on AND off, and regardless of the app running in background or foreground (i.e. visible/open).

When this happen, not only do the notification bar controls disappear, but also controls on Lock screen and Always On Display disappear.

Even if I go on and start the app to resume playback (press play) - it will, appear to, behave normally. But I cannot control the app from the system notification, lock screen or AOD. It's as if the app is not running  if not for the normal playback, playing track after track and responding to Bluetooth device controls.

Also it's like it is running on other audio channels.

Music won't dive/pause when e.g. another video plays audio/video, and if I disconnect my BT headphones or 3.5 Aux cable, music will sometimes keep playing, and other times (mostly) paus - only to resume playing 30-90 seconds later. Normally it pauses until I decide to resume playback!

To work around this issue, each time playback stops, I open Spotify, bring upp recent apps, swipe away Spotify to "close" it, open Spotify again (I know it's a new instance because seeker is back at 0:00).

But I am getting tired of this, and it's not funny thing to keep doing when driving - especially not when music suddenly goes on playing in my pocket when I e.g. get outside my car... 

10 Replies

Same issue... Spotify updated twice since the issue started happening and none of the updates solved this issue. Very frustrating.

I too have had this issue. OnePlus 6 with latest updates. Many other issues as well. 

Same issue.  Google Pixel running Android 9 and Spotify 8.4.68.911 armV7

Hi there,

This is a bug that's affecting many users and unfortunately there is no permanent fix at the moment. Force stopping the app will fix it for a little while but it always comes back. There is a thread open for the issue here :

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Several-problems-since-last-update-bugged-controls-music-st...

I am having the same or similar issue, for the last month or two. It's very frustrating, especially when I am depending on Spotify to work properly while I host a party in a couple weeks. I found that playback. Randomly as well as specifically when I open another app, or when I drag up to display all open apps, it suspends playing. I might as well just go pay for YouTube, since they don't have this kind of BS once you pay for it. However, I would prefer Spotify to just work the way it's supposed to since I'm paying for it. I haven't had this problem since I've been a subscriber for like 4 years, until the last 2 months or so.

LG Stylo 6 (android)

USA

Premium

So, I see you but it's one thing to post a question, how do we get somebody to answer it?

Hi folks!

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Sorry for the delayed reply. We've just come across this thread.

@Usrname4Dummies, first up, it's well worth running a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one. If this doesn't make any difference, could you let us know if the apps which you drag up to display need a song or playback from Spotify? Also, sending us a screen recording would come in handy. 

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I... Don't know how to make a screen recording?

On my phone (lg stylo 6) -
To clarify- you swipe up from the bottom to display all open apps, & you
can scroll side to side to switch app. So like if I do this, jist the drag
up to show open apps, the music stops AND i have the setting set to play in
the background or whatever it's called. So basically it's acting like the
free version of youtube, it has to be the only app you're looking at/ can't
listen to music & surf internet or text message at the same time.

ALSO it stops randomly when left alone, like a **bleep**ed gigapet that just
dies from lack of attention. I need my music to play without me fawning
over it every 6 minutes, & really id like a refund for the last 2 months
because it's driving me CRAZY. I need music that I leave alone and can be
productive to rather than having to restart the app ever 5-10min/ i chose
not to reproduce because i don't have time for a baby. Please make spotify
grow up.

-It happens while wifi and unlimited data are available. I've tried just
one and just the other and both on and same problems all around.
- i have uninstalled the app
Cleared cache
Reinstalled
Restart phone
Update phone

Idk what else i can do

Again, I've been a subscriber since like 2017 & this is a NEW problem. If
it doesn't get fixed by the end of june I'll have to find a different
platform, which sucks bc i prefer spotify. But if it doesn't work, what am
I paying for?

Hi there @Usrname4Dummies,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation. We really appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far.

We're not eligible to give out refunds, but you can contact our customer support here so that they can take a closer look and see if you're eligible for a refund.

Can you log in with a different account on the device - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist? This will help us understand if it's account related or not.

We also suggest that you perform a soft reset of the device.

Keep us posted 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I don't think anyone would give me their spotify login info & I don't live near enough anyone I know to meet in person for them to login on my device (idk people where I live)

I have uninstalled & reinstalled the app, deleted cache & temp files, restart phone, let phone battery die & wait a while to charge. Still have the problem. Just stops playback whenever another app loads & when a text/notification comes through or etc.

Hi again @Usrname4Dummies,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

We're sorry to hear that you're still experiencing this issue. We're trying to narrow down what the root cause of this behavior might be and whether it's account or device-related.

Since you don't have another account to borrow, you can try creating a new free account here to test that one and see if the issue persists.

Additionally and if possible, try using your Premium account on a different device (preferably another phone) and let us know if the issue is also present there.

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts