Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Please help.....

Solved!

Please help.....

Hi all

So I have installed Spotify on my tablet - been with the service for long time, I love it! Usually premium but on free at the moment.... BUT....

I just keep getting the message that Spotify is not responding should I wait, close etc. There is a message in my tablet bar next to a Spotify symbol saying "No storage area found. Check the device storage settings." I have 0.5gb of internal memory remaining so that shouldn't be the problem, plus in all the years I have been using Spotify I have never had an issue like this.

II should add that I have already tried reinstalling -  twice! 

Please help! Would be more bearable if I could at least get into the app and play some music! But it won't even open.

Many thanks in advance
David

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi David,

I suspect the issue is that some redundant files have been left on your device... then when you go to re-install the app it sees the existing cache (which is encrypted with a different key) and tries to open it; but fails and closes.

Can you read the first section of the troubleshooting guide linked in my signature to get a completely clean install. Make sure to uninstall, check for the Android/data/com.spotify.mobile folder on all your storage locations and delete any you find, once done reboot your device then install the Spotify app from the Play Store.

Please make sure to do the reboot, some people think it's not important, but it is!

Dan

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Hey there @david1806 and thanks for reaching out!

This is odd. Having a 0,5 GB internal memory isn't really a lot of space especially if you have Premium and have several playlists available offline. Have you tried using some kind of app like Clean Master? An app that isn't responding is usually due to a full RAM memory. Try cleaning up your tablet first and see how it helps.

K

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treat others the way you want to be treated!
I can help in english, français or ελληνικά
Follow me on Spotify | What is a Community Star? Join us!

This is so frustrating. I was about to renew my premium subscription but not if I can't get it to work! Half a gig should be more than enough to be able to open Spotify, surely? Plus I have plenty of space on my SD card. Help! I'm not prepared to factory reset my tablet. After years of being with Spotify I would hate to have to go elsewhere. D

Hi there, sorry to hear you are having issues.

What tablet are you using and can you confirm the Android version number as well as the Spotify app version you are using?

Android Troubleshooting:

Hi... 

Just for the record, I meant to say I had been with Spotify for years, not a year!! 

My Android version is 4.4.2, and I can't open Spotify so don't know the version but it must be latest as that is what I am downloading now, if that makes sense. 

I have had Spotify working on this tablet before. I did a factory reset to free up some memory and it hasn't worked since. Nearly half a gig of internal memory is more than enough just to simply run it. Check my post further up the page to see the messages I am getting. 

Frustrating! 

Thanks in advance 

David 

Marked as solution

Hi David,

I suspect the issue is that some redundant files have been left on your device... then when you go to re-install the app it sees the existing cache (which is encrypted with a different key) and tries to open it; but fails and closes.

Can you read the first section of the troubleshooting guide linked in my signature to get a completely clean install. Make sure to uninstall, check for the Android/data/com.spotify.mobile folder on all your storage locations and delete any you find, once done reboot your device then install the Spotify app from the Play Store.

Please make sure to do the reboot, some people think it's not important, but it is!

Dan

Android Troubleshooting:

Hi Dan

Thanks for that.  Going to look at the link now - I guess you mean the first one,  Complete Guide. 

The frustrating thing is, is that I have had it running on this tablet before, but hopefully your suggestion works. I'll make sure I keep you posted on developments! 

Thanks again 

David 

Dan

I have found a folder called com.spotify.music on the internal drive - should I just delete that whole folder?  I have uninstalled Spotify. 

D

I should add that the search function is not picking up the files listed in the guide.  I could be here all day trying to find them! 

D

Aha!  Looking at the files in the list more closely I see now how it is i.e. how to locate them...  

So I know that yes, I should delete that folder and any of the others I can find.... 

Excuse my dumbness!  🙂 

D

Okay, files deleted, tablet rebooted - about to reinstall Spotify..... wish me luck!  Lol.... 

D

YIPPEEEEEE! 

IT WORKED! 

Many thanks to all, but especially to Dan.  You is da man, Dan!!  🙂 

David 

😀 I loved the running commentary.

Glad it's all sorted and you can enjoy using Spotify again!

Android Troubleshooting:

Yep, thanks for that Dan - I'm guessing that would be a solution for any similar problems in the future. Although to be honest, you would think that when you uninstall Spotify, it would delete those files as well. Something Spotify should maybe look at? 

And while I'm at it (lol), I cannot move Spotify onto my SD card like nearly all other apps that I download. This tablet doesn't have the largest memory, I really do like to move as much as possible to my SD card. And I definitely do not want to root my device. 

Bug#er - just noticed... I'm missing the football, need to get to a pub that shows the games. Come on Arsenal!! 

Thanks again Dan - I have kudosed you to the max!! 

David 

You are more than welcome. And yes, it's the best troubleshooting solution. My guide also details being thanks into your sd card... Do you not have the 'storage' option in the Spotify app settings - right at the bottom?

FYI is android that's the issue. Kitkat was notorious for issues writing to the sd card.

Dan

Android Troubleshooting:

Suggested posts