Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Problems with Spotify free on Android

Solved!

Problems with Spotify free on Android

Hi. I'm having problems following the instructions for the Spotify app on my HTC phone (quite an old model, but no mention made in the app that this would be a problem). I open the app and it shows all of my playlists as Downloaded - doesn't give me the option to press Shuffle Play as it says in the instructions. When I click on any playlist it just gives me the option to Download, then tells me because I don't have Premium I am unable to Download. I know this, which is why I want to try to just listen to the tracks for free, which I am supposed to be able to do with the app! Help would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

What version of Spotify and Android are you using?
You need the most recent release version of Spotify for free shuffle to be enabled on your device, which is only supported on Android 2.3 and above.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Marked as solution

What version of Spotify and Android are you using?
You need the most recent release version of Spotify for free shuffle to be enabled on your device, which is only supported on Android 2.3 and above.

Peter

Hi,

You can also try uninstalling/re-installing the app (or wipe data from 'Settings - Apps - Spotify')... may be some spurious error which is causing this.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Hi, thanks for your reply (sorry for being so slow to reply). Just checked, my Android is 2.2.1 which would probably explain not being able to use the app properly. Boo! Thanks for enlightening me anyway. Need to update my phone!

Hi, i´m having the same problem. I can´t listen any song on my htc. When i try to listen a playlist i don´t have the option shuffle, and in each song i try to listen, it says that i need a premium account. The fact is that until now, that i had a premium account i didn´t have any problem to listen the music, so i think it´s not a problem with my android version. And i tried to uninstall and install againg the last version of spotify on my mobile, but the the problem is still there.

Does anybody now why is this happening? or have a solution?

thanks in advance.

@tonyblanko - What version of Spotify are you using?

Peter

In "configuration" it says version 0.6.5.183

i installed the app from the play store, i suppose this is the last one. 

Until last month i was using the same version, having the premium account and i had no problem, but once i cancelled the premium subscription, with the same version, it happens what i explained. So i tried to uninstall it and install it again, now is the version i wrote above, but nothing changes.

0.6.5.183 is too old to use Spotify free on android I'm afraid. You must have been on a free Premium trial.

You need to upgrade to android 2.3 or above to use the most recent Spotify updates which support free on android I'm afraid.

Peter

ok, it may be that. My mobile has android 2.2.2, and i´m afraid that it doesn´t support 2.3 version. But i didn´t understand why with premium i could listen the music but not now. Do you know if the new versions of spotify works on android 2.2.2?

Thank you!!

Android 2.2 users can access Spotify in Google Play but will not receive updates beyond version 0.6.5 of the app so you can never have Spotify Free on your device, The premium ftrial actually gave you Premium for 30 days. You can subscribe and have Premium but not Free on your device.

Suggested posts