Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Random Device Switching During Playback

Random Device Switching During Playback

This doesn't happen very often, but I've had this happen about 5 times now over the last couple of months.  I'll be listening to Spotify on my desktop or my surface and then it will just switch to my phone and start playing from there as if I had told it to switch playback devices.  Yet i haven't touched the application at all.

Each device is secured that is on my list and in my immediate possession or in an area not accessible by others.

7 Replies

I get this too - there's NO reason for it to do it.  In all cases it switches from another device TO my phone - never from my phone to my laptop, for example.

I've been seeing this all day today- I'l start playing something on a Windows 10 computer and two tracks later the playback moves over to my phone, all by itself.

I have been experiencing this too and have some more specific steps as to how to recreate it (for me at least). It is still sort of random WHEN it happens, but each time the precursing events have been the same and it can happen multiple times during the day.

I sit at my desk (at work) and listen to music using the Windows 10 spotify client. At some point I decide to add the song I am listening to, to a playlist of mine. When I do this, occasionally it will immidiately switch playback device to my phone (LG G4); sometimes even without the phone having spotify open.
I do listen to spotify on my commute to work (in the car), but often I shut the app down when exiting the car, which makes this even stranger. How can Spotify lsiten for songs playing on my computer, from my phone, when the app is closed?

Spotify, you seriously need to look into this. In a quiet office environment, it is very much frustrating to suddenly have my phone blaring music to my colleagues... It is enough for me to consider cancelling my subscription, if you don't look into it at least.

often I shut the app down when exiting the car, which makes this even stranger. How can Spotify lsiten for songs playing on my computer, from my phone, when the app is closed?

It seems that the Spotify mobile app is always running in the background, to make the device appear on the "Available devices" list. Which would not be a problem if the random switching during playback was not happening.

The only workaround that I've found is changing the Spotify mobile app settings to make the device be offline. But I need to change that back whenever I want to stream songs from it or download new songs, so sometimes I forget to change back when I get to work and want to listen to songs in my computer.

I sit at my desk (at work) and listen to music using the Windows 10 spotify client. At some point I decide to add the song I am listening to, to a playlist of mine. When I do this, occasionally it will immidiately switch playback device to my phone (LG G4);

I noticed something similar when I add songs to my play queue on my desktop (Mac OS). After a while, if my (Android) mobile is not with the Spotify App in Offline Mode, the playback might switch devices.

I'm glad that it's not just me that this happens to. My phone just started blasting out music at work - in an open plan office - even though I had selected "listen on" my laptop. Somewhat ironically I'd decided to put music on to drown out the conference call going on behind me...

So that was a bit embarassing and deeply annoying.

Thanks Spotify - who thought this was a good design choice?

ps. I've had to mute my phone to stop this happening. It's still playing away. And this is doubly annoying because I am supposed to be listening out for the moment my other half goes into labour. Guess it's no music for me.

Same here, it is just enoying. I personally think it's the app on the phone that does this since the last update.

You'll do better to head over to the main thread and post the information requested by one of the developers.

Suggested posts