Sweden

Device

OnePlus Nord

Operating System

Android 11
Browser
Chrome, Brave

My Question or Issue

I've seen other topics here about shared links not working and they've been closed without action, like this one for example: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Bug-in-sharing-links/td-p/1604500

My friend and I usually share links of songs we like and it used to work flawlessly. She's got an Iphone, although I doubt that has anything to do with this. When I click on her link the Spotify pops up but shows nothing, like I just switched back to the app. The links are definitely broken and I know they used to work without any problems. It's not been working for quite some time now.

Here's an example she sent me today:
https://open.spotify.com/track/6IZWJhXyk1Z0rtWNxIi4o7?si=tsjnJSTZQe2QsHMOOu8QuQ&context=spotify%3Ast...

On my PC this works just fine. On my phone however it doesn't. Tried in both Chrome and Brave, it just opens the Spotify app as if I switched back to the app myself and it's not re-directing to the shared music.

In the post I mentioned about this very topic the user labelscollected gave a suggested "solution" to the problem; removing everything after the "?" in the url seems to work on my phone in Brave browser(tested). Like this:
https://open.spotify.com/track/6IZWJhXyk1Z0rtWNxIi4o7

However, this is a workaround and not a fix! Please fix your bug for sharing links as it seems to not have been fixed for some time now and it's really annoying! I just found the workaround today on the community page because I was so annoyed about it not working I had to go search for it... I just wonder how many people are affected from this without knowing why or how to work around it.

Cheers Spotify devs!

Top Answer
MihailY

Hey folks,

We think this might be happening due to an ad blocker being installed on your device. Can you please confirm if that's the case? If yes, try adding http://api2.branch.io/ to the list of exceptions and let us know if this helps.

Cheers,

91 Replies

Just tried that method and I still get the "Unsupported browser". Also, the
previews work in discord and my friend on iOS says everything looks fine on
his phone.

Hi Yordan,

Thank you for your response. 

I have tried that and while the "unsupported browser " message does not appear and therefore delivers along after the spotify track link, it still does not show the preview of the track. I have also tried the Google messages app but it's the same issue. On whatsapp works fine as it should. The thing is when i click on the spotify track share button it right away determines that the browser is unsupported before I even select which app I am going to share it on. I believe I included that screenshot, were u able to see it? At first I thought it was the android issue, either the OS or the app itself in this instance the default Samsung  "messages app" but when I discovered that spotify determines that the browser is unsupported before i even select the sharing platform I figured that the issue most likely stems from spotify, hence I reached out. Thank you for your time and looking into this. 

I am not sure it's of significance, but I have been a spotify premium listener for over 6years now, maybe more, I lost the count heheh 

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies in this thread and for all the info shared.

We've gone ahead and passed this info to the right team. Rest assured this is being investigated. In the meantime, we suggest you subscribe to this thread in the three dot menu, so you can be up to date on the news about this inconvenience.

It'd be really helpful if you could share with us the exact Spotify version you're currently running on your devices. Also, it'd be awesome if you share with us some of the links which have this inconvenience.

Keep us in the loop!

Take care!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Spotify App Version 

Screenshot_20221011-150949_Messages.jpg

 here is a text exchange between a friend of mine who has an iPhone and myself who has a Galaxy Note20 Ultra. As you can see, all the songs including the one I sent show "unsupported browser". Several months ago, I would get a thumbnail of the album art and a preview of what the track was. The 1st track my friend sent and the one that I sent go to the song. The last link from my friend just takes me to the Spotify app. It won't go to an album or song. My friend said he gets previews and can see all the songs in his feed and they work for him

Hey folks,

Thanks once again for all the detailed info shared.

We've passed this new info on to our tech team. Now, to continue investigating this further, we'll need you to send us the links to the songs in which you noticed this behavior. This'll help us a lot, since that way we can continue isolating this inconvenience. To do it, you just need to follow the steps in this article

So, that being said, please send us some examples so we can pass them on to our team 🙂

We'll keep an eye on your replies!

AlejaRModerator

It does this for all/any song I share or receive. 

I have a Galaxy S21. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and nobody can share a Spotify link with me. It opens the app to what was previously playing or just a blank screen. Super annoying. I'm about to switch music providers as me and my friends love to share music with one another and it's now essentially impossible. I have to copy the link, email it to myself, then launch a web browser and use a desktop computer to see what they're sharing with me. FIX YOUR STUFF OR I'M LEAVING

Hey there folks,

Thank you for all the replies, our tech team is currently looking into this and has asked for a little bit more info on the issue. Could you provide the following:

- The version of the Spotify app you're using

- The brand/model and operating system of the device you're opening the links on

- A video recording of what is going on on your end, this'll help the most. You can upload it to Google Drive or YouTube and share the link here.

We'll relay the info as soon as we get it,

Thanks!

DianModerator

Pshhh

20221021_113748.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/track/1KaRuTOGchQyTnrY3vWzfR?si=mKin0msZTSGtAZ4OCH_wvA&context=spotify%3Aal...

My friend sent me this link today and it is supposed to be to Roddy Ricch's newest single. It took me to Jeremih's 2010 album. 

I am using version 8.7.76.359 of Spotify on a Galaxy Note20 Ultra. 

This is very frustrating as I frequently share music with my friends. It seems to work fine on Apple devices.

Hey @quaysey,

Thanks for your reply.

We couldn't replicate the behavior you described from our side. Could you send us a video recording of it so we can investigate further? You can attach the videos in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google drive and make it public, so we can visualize it.

On another note, and just to confirm, is this just happening on this device or does the link you redirects you to a different song on other devices as well?

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Hi, this has been a long standing issue for me as well. Like a year +

Stuff broke cuz it used to work. I searched forums and found no solution. 

Trying here as a last ditch effort to help the cause. 

1. Samsung Ultra22+
  2. Android v13  Updated 9.1.2022
  3. One ui version 5.0
  4. Spotify version 8.7.90.544

Hey @cpaine-us,

Thanks for the reply and the shared information.

We'd really appreciate a screen recording of the experience so we can share it with the tech team and better understand what is going on on your end. Could you prepare one? You can then upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and share the link.

Thanks!

DianModerator

I've been getting this very same issue for the past couple of months and it's very frustrating. My partner has an iPhone 11 and she can successfully open ALL the links I send her, however I'm unable to open any of the links she sends me, for example:

https://open.spotify.com/track/2TUzU4IkfH8kcvY2MUlsd2?si=tbzuKHy1TCuz8HqggoTpAA&context=spotify%3Ase...

I'm using an Android phone, an Oppo A67, running ColorOS version V12.1.

I've already done a clean uninstall and reinstall of Spotify, and this has not resulted in an improvement to this problem. 

When she sends me the link it's via WhatsApp - I click on the link and it opens the Spotify app and shows what is currently playing, or whatever was last played. It DOESN'T open the song that the link is for. 

This is another example of a link that fails to open the corresponding song: 

https://open.spotify.com/track/6qc34bnVOyqGDPni8H5W0U?si=Cc8Ak8RWSfK0oiVxUSMNLw&context=spotify%3Ase...

My name is Brent and my partner is living in Berlin Germany, and I'm currently living on the Gold Coast in Australia. 

I'm having exact same issue on Samsung Galaxy S8+

Same issue. Now Spotify is forcing “Spotify.link” sharing urls, and this dumb domain is used so much for spam that many ISPs block it. Please go back to Spotify.Com sharing urls please. 

Not sure what a video will show that hasn't been explained already, but here you go. Video shows me trying to open multiple different album links. Clicking on the links in any app just takes you to the home screen. Entering the link in browser will take you where it's supposed to, but the tracklist is broken and can't be clicked on

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L7h430tGeVjownjztAcOxBs4exomE2E0/view?usp=drivesdk

Hi there @MCLPEEZY,

Thanks very much for the video. We can confirm that this feature is still being tested, so some issues can be expected. At Spotify, we're often testing new features and improvements, that's why you may have something in the app that other users don't or vice versa, or have a feature to try temporarily. In this case, we suggest to keep the app always updated so you don't miss out on any new features and improvements.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

JoanModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts