Sweden

Device

OnePlus Nord

Operating System

Android 11
Browser
Chrome, Brave

My Question or Issue

I've seen other topics here about shared links not working and they've been closed without action, like this one for example: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Bug-in-sharing-links/td-p/1604500

My friend and I usually share links of songs we like and it used to work flawlessly. She's got an Iphone, although I doubt that has anything to do with this. When I click on her link the Spotify pops up but shows nothing, like I just switched back to the app. The links are definitely broken and I know they used to work without any problems. It's not been working for quite some time now.

Here's an example she sent me today:
https://open.spotify.com/track/6IZWJhXyk1Z0rtWNxIi4o7?si=tsjnJSTZQe2QsHMOOu8QuQ&context=spotify%3Ast...

On my PC this works just fine. On my phone however it doesn't. Tried in both Chrome and Brave, it just opens the Spotify app as if I switched back to the app myself and it's not re-directing to the shared music.

In the post I mentioned about this very topic the user labelscollected gave a suggested "solution" to the problem; removing everything after the "?" in the url seems to work on my phone in Brave browser(tested). Like this:
https://open.spotify.com/track/6IZWJhXyk1Z0rtWNxIi4o7

However, this is a workaround and not a fix! Please fix your bug for sharing links as it seems to not have been fixed for some time now and it's really annoying! I just found the workaround today on the community page because I was so annoyed about it not working I had to go search for it... I just wonder how many people are affected from this without knowing why or how to work around it.

Cheers Spotify devs!

Top Answer
MihailY

Hey folks,

We think this might be happening due to an ad blocker being installed on your device. Can you please confirm if that's the case? If yes, try adding http://api2.branch.io/ to the list of exceptions and let us know if this helps.

Cheers,

91 Replies

This isn't a new feature that's being tested. Sharing artist/album/track links has always been a feature and only stopped working about a year ago. My app is updated to the most recent version, so updating the app is not a valid fix for this issue. I don't understand how this issue can possibly still persist with no solution when it's been known about for so long

Hi @MCLPEEZY,

True, sharing links has been possible for a long time, but the test I'm refering to is the new format for shared links. As you've noticed, they have been switched from open.spotify.com.... to spotify.link... and this is the new feature still being tested. We appreciate the feedback and will pass it onto the right folks.

Hope this clears things up.

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Just adding my voice to the chorus here. I just started having this issue a week ago (links shared by friends are just opening up a blank page in the Spotify app). The only thing that changed for me recently is that I left a prior Spotify family account and started my own Premium account. I share music constantly and this has been so frustrating!! Especially because my primary music app is actually SoundCloud, which I also pay for.

Seems the only reason I started paying for Premium--the ease of sharing music between friends--is now the only thing that doesn't work about the app.

As a side note, the links I'm trying to use are in fact the "open.spotify.com" variety, not ".link". I am using the latest version of both the Spotify app and Samsung Galaxy s22 ultra OS. What's going on here?

The issue is that the *.link domain does NOT work with many ISPs around the world as it's used by spammers. This is a terrible decision by Spotify. Try some other domain like *.io or *.co or just *.music. 

I’m currently having the same issue, since the links switched from open.spotify to spotify.link pressing the song in whatsapp only opens the spotify app without doing anything else. The old links do still work though so why doesnt spotify just change it back???

When I receive a link to a track from Spotify some links open successfully (as expected) wheras others open the Spotify app and refuses to play.

The links that work uses https://open.spotify.com/track/xxxx

The problem exhibits itself with other links https://spotify.link/xxx for example.
When opening this kind of link the app opens (or is brought to the front). The previous screen is dispalyed for a short second before then refreshing. The refreshing appears that Spotify has attempted to load the track but somehow failed and thus the screen is repainted.

Any help appreciated
Thanks

Asus zenfone 9 - Android 13

Spotify Version 8.8.36.522

Click on link in Messenger

Messenger opens webview (see screenshot) 

Spotify launches 

Whatever view in Spotify currently opened is replaced by the home screen

Screenshot_20230530-075655_Settings.jpg
Screenshot_20230530-075648_Settings.jpg
Screenshot_20230530-080144_Messenger.jpg

Very frustrating.   Lack of positive response.  "send screenshots" like you don't see 3 pages of people all reporting the same issue.  I switched phones from a Pixel to a Samsung, and I haven't been able to open peoples shared links once on my new phone.  Android 13, spotify 8.8.42.468.  I uninstalled and re-installed and still the same issue

Still not fixed, I am starting to consider switching to Tidal, because " small indie company" cannot fix one of the most useful features for about 1 year...

My issue on this has been fixed a while ago! Yey 👏🏼 back to how things uses to run. My aplogies for not checking back to report. 

Screenshot_20230616_180020_Messages.jpg

 Cheerio! Thanks guys, good luck! 

This is still not working. Even after switching from OnePlus 6 to 11 recently. Tried reinstalling, latest version. This feature havent worked for ages for me! Thought it was the phone. Fix it or i change to tidal.

Heres a video of whats happening.

Oh and i just figures out a annoying work around for this problem. After i figured i would log into the webbrowser of whatever it is that Snapchat is sending me to, it says no playback and still sends me to Spotify without playing or finding the song. But see video for what works. 

Basically the tree dots in the upper left corner and "send to browser" actually sends me to Spotifyapp and plays the song.

Fix this, djises. Sharing music is a huge part of this app. And finding people struggling with this issue across multiple platforms/phones for such a long time is just plain embarrassing!!

Hey, 

I'm experiencing a similar issue in Android 12 with the latest Spotify App. When I open a shared link, the Spotify App doesn't show the shared content. To make things worse, the bottom navigation in the App stops working which forces me to restart the App. 

Plan

Premium

Country

Denmark

Device

Samsung A32

Operating System

Android 13

My Question or Issue

When my friends send me a link to listen together and I press it I get directed to Google and when I try to press "go to app" it doesn't connect me to the listen together.

I have tried to see if Spotify didn't have access to open the link but I gave it full access and yet it keeps opening in Google and won't direct me to Spotify. 

I can make my own listen together and invite my friends but I want it so they can send me a link.

The former URL-scheme "open.spotify.com/track/..." still works flawlessly, but the new one "spotify.link/..." does nothing but starting the Spotify-App and opening the homescreen. Please fix this ... it's super annoying...

I'm using a Google Pixel 7, latest Android 13

Plan

Premium

Country

Brazil

Device

Motorola G6 Plus 

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

Spotify links are not working the way it should, everytime I click on them, it opens the app but nothing happens afterwards. A friend of mine sent me a song, I click on the link, the app opens, sends me to the homepage then nothing happens, no changing songs, nothing.

Screenshot_20230918-101626.png
Screenshot_20230918-101654.png

Same problem with the .link not working. Spotify just opens whatever I had last open on Spotify.

Using an S20+

Still broken

I have the same problem as OP, but only since the recent change to the shortened "spotify.link" links.

OnePlus 6

Android 11

Oxygen OS 11.1.2.2

Spotify 8.8.70.532

Edit:

Found a solution for my case, hope somebody finds this usefull, too.

I use AdAway and it blocked some Spotifydomains that are needed for the spotify.link(s)

Just log the domains when you try to open a link and allow those afterwards.

Suggested posts