Announcements

Songs stop playing, app going offline

Solved!

Songs stop playing, app going offline

Music Fan
I used the preview version on my desire hd and it worked great. I then upgraded to the final release and started getting problems. The app seems to go onlineand offline at will and songs stop playing at random. Even the downloaded songs and even if the app is set to offline mode. I didn't bother to fix it sinceI bought the galaxy s3, but the problems appear on the new phone as well. I did the following:
Installed the new app from google play store.
Logged in with spotify username and password. I tried facebook as well.
I downloaded a playlist in high quality.
I played it. The song stops after a short while at random.

Any solution?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Songs stop playing, app going offline

Music Fan

Okay so I have tried the new version some, here are my results:

Play a playlist online with 3G (30 minutes): Worked.

Play a playlist online with wifi (20 minutes): Worked.

Download a playlist and play it while online with 3G (15 minutes): Worked.

Download a playlist and play it while online with wifi (15 minutes): Worked.

Download a playlist and play it while offline (10 minutes): Worked.

So far everything has worked for me, but I have not had time to do any excessive testing. I will test it more tomorrow but the initial tests look promising. I am sorry to hear that two of you have tried the new version without success though, so apparently they still need to take a good hard look at this issue.

By the way, I cleared the app data and uninstalled the preview version before installing the new version from the play store (in other words, i did NOT chose to upgrade it), since this was the way they told us to upgrade from the preview version earlier. Can more of you try and report here if it works for you or not?

View solution in original post

66 Replies

Community Legend
You don't have Google Listen installed do you? I used to get random stops in Spotify and other music applications. Narrowed it down to Listen doing something odd, uninstalled it, and haven't had an issue since.
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Music Fan

Nope, I don't have Google Listen installed. It's also only happening in spotify. If I listen to mp3s on the stock music player it doesn't stop. 😞

Music Fan
I installed the preview version again and now it works again. The bad side is that I don't get the folder structure for the playlists and that the player don't remember the shuffle-setting, but I can live with that as long as the playback works 🙂

Casual Listener
By per chance are you using the new update? I find mine does it when the signal drops, even if my playlists are syncd offline... My temporary option is to select 'offline mode' until I get a response back about it. I've emailed the team with this problem.

Community Legend
@ijeans - I had that issue with the preview - seems it has not been fixed: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Preview-app-crash-on-loss-of-network-signal/td-p/4898...
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Regular

I have a similar problem, and even without data enabled it always stops after a few minutes a first time (usually before the end of the first song).

It seems to go much better when I restart it.

Sad that this topic is marked as solved because of a cheesy workaround ...

Casual Listener

I am having this problem.  Even after the update on 6/18.

Music Fan
Yup. I'm staying with the preview version until I read that this is fixed.

Gig Goer

Also got the stop playing problem.

When online (3g / wifi) my downloaded playlist stops playing after 3-4 minutes and can't resume it, i must go back  (back button) to that playlist to start it again. Most of the time it stays playing after the second start, occaisionaly it stops playing again.

When playing a not downnloaded playlist on 3g and wifi in online mode it stops playing randomly (arround 3-4 minutes). The playlist disapears and have to go back to the folder where the playlist is stashed to restart it. But it is quite useless since it stops again after a while.

I did an uninstall yesterday (after removing the cache and reinstalled it with v0.5.1.15, but that gave me no cure. I own a HTC Sensation with the ICS (4.0.3) upgrade.

I Never had problems with the old app besides sometimes the music stopped playing due to lost connection with offline (not downloaded) playlists.

Beside this problem i also got a problem with the playlist mentioned in an other topic.

I hope these anoying problems can be fixed soon. I have taken a premium account because i (want) to use it on mobile.

Hope to hear soon!

EDIT: The music also stops playing in the 'offline' mode.... so i think it can't be a connection problem only. I also forgot to mention that the app crashes a lot too, when going to offline mode, or after not using it a while.

SUGGESTED POSTS