Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Mobile Data Usage Android + Verizon

Spotify Mobile Data Usage Android + Verizon

Plan: FAMILY PREMIUM

Premium: YEP

Device: Pixel 5

Operating System: Android 13 

My Question or Issue: From December 1 - 23 2022, Spotify used 11+ GBs of data.  As a premium member since 2011/2012, I don't recall ever using this much mobile data. I checked all "critical" settings: Download audio only, Stream audio only, Spotify Connect in Background [ON], Canvas [OFF] 

The only culprit I could identify was having Download Using Cellular [ON]. I downloaded a few podcasts over cellular before boarding a flight. On the flight, I noticed one of the Podcast episodes (Dead & Gone) failed to download. Get off the flight, and it must have been a few days before I noticed the same episode never fully downloaded until I stopped the download > turned off Download Using Cellular Data > Confirmed WiFi connection. 

My hypothesis is that this particular podcast may have been cycling in the background and never fully downloaded causing the spike in data usage.

Has anyone experienced something similar (what happened? solution?) or have thoughts on what else might have occurred? 

Spotify Mobile Usage 1.png
Spotify Mobile Usage 2.png
1 Reply

Hi there @NICU313,

Thanks for reaching out. What you described with the podcast episode seems to be the most likely culprit for this, altough we cannot say for sure. Your best option would be to reach out to your carrier and ask for a breakdown of your data usage to pinpoint when and how this happened. Also, you can double check your phone and make sure you don't have any cache optimizing apps. These can often alter the downloaded contents for Spotify and cause unexpected behaviour such as what you experienced. 

Hope this helps.

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts