Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify app stops playing after 20 mins

Solved!

Spotify app stops playing after 20 mins

Hi,

My Spotify app plays for about 20 mins then stops. I then have to restart my playlist. Never had this problem before. I am on Android using a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I am a premium user not that that should make any difference.
36 Replies

Device: LG G4 

OS-Version: Android 5.1V10d-EUR-XX

Spotify-Version: Premium4.1.0.868

Additional Info: problem started about 3-4 weeks ago, before that time everything worked fine.

Please fix it soon, it is really annoying! 😞

Thanks!

Hey @zahni@xankazo @vgiorgio25 @trustyx146 @Janesmile

Thanks so much for your feedback, let's try a little troubleshooting:

Could you guys please go here and remove all you offline devices and then do another clean reinstall and see if that helps 🙂

Note: This will remove any saved offline tracks and cache 🙂 

Did it work?

Edit: Also if it didn't work, are you using any kind of 3rd party equalizers?

Same problem. Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Android 5.0.2. The app is crasching for some versions. That hasn't happened before. But please don't tell us that it is our own fault, fix the problem instead! I'm for example is a experienced Android user and have done all that you recommend to solve it and it hasn't been better. Look at the Play Store reviews it is many many there which have the same problem.

I'm experiencing the same problem. The app closes after a while. Sometimes after 6 minutes, sometimes after 30. What I noticed is that if I open the app after the crash there is a message saying I should go online to download things. Because the message dissappears after a second and english is not the default language on my phone I can't say what the exact message is.

Could it be a fault in a connection with Spotify servers? Although that woud be odd because I listen to offline (downloaded) playlists only.

I have reinstalled the app 3 times the last few days but to no avail. I tried the suggestion from Jean3601 but that didn't help either. The crashing began about a week ago I think, after the latest update.

Model: Samsung S5
Android Version: 5.0.2
Spotify version: 4.1.0.868

I just took the update and now I am seeing similar. I am playing a downloaded playlist. It stops after a few minutes - 6 to 20 sounds about right. I open Spotify and I see something about downloading even though I have downloaded tracks. All was fine before I upgraded Spotify this morning.

Model: Samsung Note 3
Network: 4g with 1 bar
Version: 4.1.0.868
Android: 5.0

I don't think this is a network issue. Turning on airplane mode does not fix it.

Spotify, fix this issue!  Your first line of defense shouldn't be to instruct your subscribers to uninstall an app.  The burden is on you, not them.  Spotify is the best service out there, but you are seriously slipping this year.  I was a subscriber for 2+ years and recently canceled my service because it was getting worse.  I resubscribed because I love your service and really can't live without it.  I'm about to unsubscribe again and just move on.  This is seriously getting ridiculous.  It's clearly a problem with the last update.

Hey Guys

A quick Update, Spotify is aware of this issue and is looking into it 🙂

It would be greatly appreciated if everyone experiencing this issue could please post the Requested details in this Ongoing issues post 🙂

Hopefully their will be a fix soon! 

Have A Great Day Guys! 🙂

Hey folks,

Android 4.2 is now alive and kicking! 

Let us know if you're still seeing the same issue, but the new update should have fixed things up.

Thanks

Jake

Well, I listened to a lot of songs yesterday and I'm glad to inform that this issue seems to be fixed on v4.2.x.

It never stopped while listening to my offline playlists.

Go grab the update people!

Sadly the issue is not resolved, atleast not for me. It happens a lot less frequent but Spotify still stops randomly. At the moment the frequency is between 40 minutes and 1 hour approximately.
Are there any suggestions on how to fix this issue? I mean other than 'restart the app/device'. Done that several times already.

Not sure I also need to post this in the ongoing issues forum.

Hey there,

Android 4.3 is now available to everyone!

Let us know if you're still seeing the same issue.

Thanks!

Hi,

I had  still this problem on my LG G4 with Android 6.0

Additionally, is may  continues to play after BT disconnects  😉

And sometimes, it won't load the controls on my Wear-Smartwatch (missing controls also on the G4).

I often launch Spotify using Play-Button on my BT head set and using  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cp2.start.and.play.music.player

I have the same problem, did all the suggestions, nothing helps. Have a premium spotify account, a Samsung Galaxy S6 phone and a Samsung Tab E fully updated, both with the same problem. Sometimes the music just stops, sometimes the app just closes. Please advise

Something I noticed and someone posted in another thread is to keep the app "in focus". As long as Spotify is on the screen the music will continue to play but if you open another app or click to get to the homescreen the app will close itself at soms point.

I know this is not a permanent solution but for now it helps.
Marked as solution

I've found a solution that works with my phone, Galaxy S6

This weekend I found out that not only Spotify stops after playing some 5 numbers, but also my other musicplayers. Even when I play music with Firefox it stops after a few songs. So a new search on the internet to solve this problem began.

I've found that my S6 automatically saves batterylife and that that might be the problem. Go to your settings, battery, App optimalisation, Details. Go to Spotify or other musicplayers and turn of App optimalisation.

I found that this solved an issue for many of my other apps as well! Thank you!

Suggested posts