Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify does not work with Google Home, Google Mini, or Google Chromecast

Spotify does not work with Google Home, Google Mini, or Google Chromecast

Spoiler

Spotify Premium no longer works with Google Home, Google Mini, or any of my multiple Chromecast devices. When I ask the assistant to play Spotify, it says it will and then silence. Sometimes a track might start to play and will then stop. Cannot initiate playback by connecting to Google devices from my Pixel 2 either. Simply no sound. No music.

Casting other apps works just fine: TuneIn, Google Music, Rocket Player mp3s.

This has been a consistent problem with Spotify's apparent incompatibility with Google Home. I've tried all the regular troubleshooting resetting all devices and router and nothing.

Totally infuriating. 

7 Replies

Same here as of last week...

Hey,

I am really sorry to hear this. We are working on fixing this.

Can I ask you to setup a Free account and give that a try and see if you get the same problems? Also, which country are you in?

/magnus

Just started happening as well. Driving me crazy over here. 

Hi Magnus,

Thanks for your reply. I'm in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. It's my understanding that something similar happened across Canada back in December 2017 with users reporting the same thing. My premium account will not work with my Google devices -- Home, mini, Chromecast audio. Just silence. Periodically it will play for a couple seconds and will then cut out again.

Signed up for a free test account and the problem is the exact same. Whether giving a play command to Google Assistant or selecting the streaming device from the menu in the Android app, I get no music. Sometimes a song will play for a couple seconds. Then stop. It will go to the next song. Then stop again. This is all with the free account.

Again, Google Play Music and all other casting apps work flawlessly. Appears to be a Spotify issue on the back end.

Appreciate your assistance on this.

Chad

Hey, 

We rolled out a new version of the app on Google Home and Chromecast two days ago.

Is it still not playable?

Seems to be working now with the app update. Yay!! Thanks!

Still having problems on the Google home mini. Backplay starts 10 seconds after it says it would start but so now and then it stops playing for 15 seconds. I haven't found any logic in it yet. Monitoring my internet usage (speed, errors, DNS traffic) or timing it.. Nothing seems to have anything to do with it. But yes it is driving me crazy to. After 10 minutes I stop using Spotify and start YouTube. Even with ads that is better than silence at the strangest moments.

Suggested posts