Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify freezes when syncing playlists.

Spotify freezes when syncing playlists.

Yo!

I've got a Sony Ericsson xperia X10 mini pro, which I'm trying to sync one of my playlists to offline mode. That works out just fine, for the first 3 songs, then it freezes. Tried reinstalling, deleting cache and files, deleting some of my playlists (as I read somewhere that it might help), but there is still no improvement. Am I the only one having these problems? I changed my microSD card from a 2gb to a 16gb card, is that the problem?

Help indeedly appreciated 

23 Replies

I have the same problem with my Motorola Droid Pro (Verizon model).  I recently upgraded memory from 2GB to 8GB and that's when the problems started.  I have done everything from clearing the cache to completely re-installing the app.  I was able to successfully sync one playlist by deselecting "sync over wifi" and selecting "sync over 3G" instead, but that option will only work if you have unlimited data.  But even though it sync'd, the app freezes and crashes when I launch it.  Sometimes it freezes my entire phone and I have to pull the battery to reset it.  Let me know if you find a solution.  This might be enough of a headache for me to cancel my Premium account all together,

Hey guys,

The SD card seems to be the common issue here, have you checked this guide for instructions on how to get it all set up correctly? http://www.spotify.com/help/faq/mobile/android-how-do-i-store-offline-music-on-the-external-sd-card/
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Thanks Richard. Yes, mine has been set up to go to this directory "/mnt/sdcard" - I had even tried making it go to a custom folder on the card (/mnt/sdcard/offline) but that caused more problems and I began to think that the directory path might be too deep. I might try switching back to my 2GB Sandisk to see if that isolates the problem. But I really need to have more than 2GB of storage, so even if it isolates the problem, it doesn't solve it. The 8GB card is a Class 4 card - does that have any impact?

Is there a way to offline sync playlists by connecting my phone to my computer via USB and using the desktop app, instead of using wifi or 3G? I've found that the app seems to run smoother if I keep it in offline mode, but that rules out wireless sync.

How many playlists are you trying to sync? A Class 4 SD card would probably be ideal, in fact.

It may be worth running a check on it anyway - instructions here: http://www.ehow.com/how_6857598_check-sd-card-errors.html
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

Thanks, I will try checking the card for errors.  I am trying to sink 15 playlists - about 1100 songs total.  I set the sync quality to low (96kbs) in an effort to be able to sync all those songs in 8GB or less.

Just to clarify, I am not trying to sync all the playlists at once. I've been trying to do only a few at a time.

Update: I checked the new SD card for errors and Windows found and repaired several errors on the card. Unfortunately, this did not fix the app crashing. But I did try switching back to the original 2GB card, and everything runs fine! I am going to get another new 8GB SD card and see if that solves the problem.

So, the 2GB card works just fine. But I need more than 2GB. So I bought yet another 8GB card to try. The phone doesn't freeze anymore, but I keep getting a "Disk is almost full" error when I try to sync. There's 6GB or more available, so I'm not sure why Spotify thinks the disk is full. I have confirmed that Spotify is saving to the 8GB card. I tried clearing the cache, doing a full reset of spotify, uninstalling spoify, reformatting the SD card, and then re-installing Spotify. Still says "Disk is almost Full." This app bug is enough to make me cancel my premium account. Goodbye Spotify. Hello MOG.

Mike, when you reinstalled Spotify did you delete the cache and all Spotify files, or did you do this after the reinstall? I think the order matters here.

We discussed this matter in a thread back in our old Community. The discussion is a little old but it's the same issue - https://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/disk_full_messages_during_sync_when_disk_still_half_empty

There's a few things to try there, so let me know how you get on. We'd hate to lose you over this.

I performed the reinstall in the following order:
1. Cleared the Spotify cache
2. Logged out of Spotify, relaunched the app, and selected "Full Reset of Spotify"
3. Uninstalled Spotify
4. Powered off phone, and removed memory card
5. Reformatted (deep format, not quick format) memory card using Windows 7 computer
6. Reinserted memory card into phone, and powered phone on
7. Reinstalled Spotify from Android Market
8. Launched Spotify, and made sure SD card location was correct before logging into app
9. Tried to sync playlist. At 340MB of sync'd data, I received the all too familiar "Disk is almost Full" error.

At this point, I went into Spotify's settings tab and viewed memory usage.... 6% of total memory used. Yet when I try to sync it tells me it is full.

I did troubleshoot the issue using the old community thread you listed. But if you notice, the problem was never fully resolved in that thread, and those who did get it to work had to do quite a few time consuming workarounds.

I really liked Spotify, but I can't be spending all these hours troubleshooting an app for a service that I PAY for. So instead of wasting more of my time, I spent 45 minutes to recreate all my playlists in a different service, and an hour to sync them ALL to my phone. I only wish it would have been that easy in Spotify.

I do appreciate your time and attention Richard.

Ok, the next thing I'd ask then would be if you are using any third party apps at the same time as Spotify? Specifically I'm thinking of cache clearing apps like Advanced Task Killer.

It seems they can confuse the devices and the memory allocation. So an exception might need to be made for Spotify.

Let me know if this is the case.

Richard, didn't you read his reply? You've already lost him to a rival service where it took him only 1 hour and 45 minutes to accomplish what he had been trying to do with the Spotify Android app for several days.

I can't see any harm in trying to fix the problem still. There's always a chance we can get things working happily again and I'm willing to keep going until it is.

So, is there a solution for this?  Or is the official response 'try a new SD card'? 

I'm having the same problem on a Motorola Droid2. 32GB SD card. Syncs fine up to ~3.25GB, everything works great. Once I try to sync the next playlist: boom, entire program starts freezing and telling me the disk is almost full. File manager says otherwise (still ~30GB free)

I'm having this problem for more than a month with Android Kit Kat.

The only solution I found is to remove Spotify App + Cache, reinstall it and re-sync my music, which usually takes some hours to accomplish. If I go offline and go online again after some days, the phone becomes totally useless, freezing EVERY time I open Spotify (syncing music or not).

I tried every workaround I found, still no success.

Does anybody have a solution for this?

Roughly how may offline tracks are you talking about? What phone model and are you using an external SD card?

I'm trying to sync hundreds of extreme quality tracks (500+) to a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini with a 16GB external sd card.

Please use the online contact form and someone at Spotify can help get this sorted. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, please reply to it to speed things along.

Suggested posts