Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify not opening in Android Lollipop

Solved!

Spotify not opening in Android Lollipop

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

Spotify no longer working on Nexus 5 with newly updated Android Lollipop

Spotify worked perfectly on my Nexus 5... however, once I upgraded to 5.0  lollipop and tried using it, it comes up to a screen that's blank except for the spotify logo and a sandwich menu icon in the corner. Nothing else happens.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

(We need to know what you are doing so we can do the exact same to try and get the same error)

1 Upgraded to Android 5.0 from 4.4.4 on Nexus 5

2. Run Spotify - NOTHING.

3. Clear data and cache, reboot, clear all related files.

4. Run Spotify - NOTHING.

What I expected to happen

This is what I expected to happen

Example:

I expected Spotify to start normally!

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

Nexus 5

Device’s Operating System

5.0 Lollipop

What type of account do you have?

Premium

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")

Space left on your device

3.06 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

3.06 GB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

... GB

Is your device rooted?

Yes

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

NA

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

My mobile provider and country

T-Mobile

My username

pcarenza

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

Yes

Screenshot 

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there, I've seen some issues with the widget in Lollipop, but no one else has reported unable to open the app.

Can you try a clean install as per the guide here: [GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I had the same issue after updating to Android 5.0 Lollipop on my Samsung Galaxy S5, but solved it easy today.

Seems to be a common Lollipop-issue.

I did the following to solve the issue:

1. Uninstalled Spotify

2. Deleted the folder com.spotify.music under ../../Android/data

3. Rebooted the device

4. Reinstalled Spotify

PROBLEM SOLVED!

You loose your preferences and downloaded playlists by doing this, but at least you have a working Spotify Music app.

Marked as solution

Hi, I had the same issue.
And no Spotify folder in android/data.
But I succeed.
Basically, I've uninstall the non working Spotify, I've deleted the complete folder data on my SD card, reboot and reinstall Spotify.
And hourra

Marked as solution

Uninstal spotify
Unmounting sd
Install spotify
Mount sf card
worked for me. Not able to use SD for storage of music Thou.

39 Replies

Hello pcarenza,

I updated my Nexus 5 to Lollipop yesterday via OTA (stock room and non root). 

I also got this problem, but suddenly it got solved and the application opened correctly. I believe that it was just a matter of taking tooooooo much time for the first time loading after the ugrade. Try to wait for 5 minutes and see if it works. 

Regards,

Bralok

Marked as solution

Hi there, I've seen some issues with the widget in Lollipop, but no one else has reported unable to open the app.

Can you try a clean install as per the guide here: [GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Android Troubleshooting:

I am having the exact same problem as pcarenza. I updated my Nexus 5 on Nov 22 and it has not worked since then. Here are my details.

Description

Spotify no longer working on Nexus 5 with newly updated Android Lollipop

Spotify worked perfectly on my Nexus 5... however, once I upgraded to 5.0  lollipop and tried using it, it comes up to a screen that's blank except for the spotify logo and a sandwich menu icon in the corner. Nothing else happens.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

(We need to know what you are doing so we can do the exact same to try and get the same error)

1 Upgraded to Android 5.0 from 4.4.4 on Nexus 5

2. Run Spotify - NOTHING.

3. Clear data and cache, reboot, clear all related files.

4. Run Spotify - NOTHING.

5. Clear data and cache, reboot, clear all related files. Uninstall and Reinstall Spotify following these instructions: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/GUIDE-How-to-fix-common-issues-for-Spotify-on-Android/t...

6. Run Spotify - NOTHING.

What I expected to happen

I expected Spotify to start normally

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

Nexus 5

Device’s Operating System

5.0 Lollipop

What type of account do you have?

Premium

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")

Space left on your device

16.43 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

16.43 GB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

Not Applicable

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

Not APplicable

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

Not Applicable

My mobile provider and country

ATT USA

My username

danjoba

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

Yes

Spotify not loading.png

After my 5th uninstall and reinstall, it appears to be working for now. I will update if it begins to fail again.

I'm also seeing this behavior on my Nexus 6, though it seems to come and go.

I've had periods of time where the app opens and works without issue and then for whatever reason, the next time I open the app, it gets stuck on the same black screen described (and shown) in an earleir post.  In a few cases, restarting my phone when getting stuck at this screen has seemed to resolve the issue.  This morning, it did not and I ended up driving to work in silence because regardless of what I tried (closing the app, restarting the app, restarting the phone, etc.) I could not get the app to load.  

Since I'm getting ready to leave the office and head home, I just tried to launch the app out of curiosity to see what it would do and...it opened perfectly without issues.  

I've also been experiencing an issue in this app where the app opens but tells me no Internet Connection is available, although it is available and working perfectly fine with all other apps.  Sometimes a restart of the device fixes this but many times it does not.  On a couple of occasions, turning on Airplane Mode, leaving it for a few seconds, and then turning offf Airplane Mode has seemed to work but...not consistently.  I've experienced a couple of silent rides in the car as a result of this issue as well.  

I have the same issue, Nexus 5, Updated to Lollipop OTA. Non root, all stock.

Happens the same, i open de app and it freezes. Have to restart the phone to make it work. Please bring a solution i use spotify all the time.

I reproduced this issue on my Nexus. 

I can see an ANR on spotify service on this class:

com.spotify.music/com.spotify.mobile.android.service.ConnectManagerProxy

Maybe this is related to one of the methods that are now deprecated on android 5.0. The class ConnectivityManager has many methods that are now deprecated:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/ConnectivityManager.html

@byAvallone wrote:

I reproduced this issue on my Nexus. 

I can see an ANR on spotify service on this class:

com.spotify.music/com.spotify.mobile.android.service.ConnectManagerProxy

Maybe this is related to one of the methods that are now deprecated on android 5.0. The class ConnectivityManager has many methods that are now deprecated:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/ConnectivityManager.html

The ConnectManagerProxy service is unrelated to the ConnectivityManager class in the Android SDK. CMP is the service called by the app when connecting to a Connect enabled device (Speaker, Desktop , other Android device) in order to send the remote commands. Odd that you have an ANR on this; maybe a clean install?

Android Troubleshooting:

Uninstall is not a solution, i have more than one device and all reproduce this issue, everyone that i know that have a device on android 5.0 and uses spotify is having issues. All of us have tried to uninstall, clean data, remove all apps. just remove and reinstall will no fix, clean data will no fix. This reproduce also if i install only  install spotify on a device after the factory reset.

If ConnectManagerProxy is related to connected devices, there is none method trying to verify the connection?

@byAvallone wrote:

Uninstall is not a solution, i have more than one device and all reproduce this issue, everyone that i know that have a device on android 5.0 and uses spotify is having issues. All of us have tried to uninstall, clean data, remove all apps. just remove and reinstall will no fix, clean data will no fix. This reproduce also if i install only  install spotify on a device after the factory reset.

If ConnectManagerProxy is related to connected devices, this method is not trying to verify the connection?

I recommend you contact Spotify Support using the form here.

You will get an automated reply at first, however if you need to chase them just reply to the email as it does get monitored.

Android Troubleshooting:

Thanks, i sent an email to the support.

Having exactly the same issue with the black screen as per screenshot posted above, but has happened for the last few days at some point.

I am having the same issue on my Nexus 6. For context, I had a Nexus 5 prior to this and experienced issues with Spotify on that device after the OTA update to Lollipop 5.0. At some point, the issue magically fixed itself and the app at least allowed me to play music most of the times - but I still experienced odd issues w/ Spotify that often required me to close/reopen the app.

However, I just set up my Nexus 6 yesterday and I have been unable to use Spotify ever since. The Nexus 6 is running Android Lollipop. When I open Spotify, it just loads the app with a black screen. I've restarted the phone numerous times, closed/reopened Spotify, ensured that all apps are "optimized" to run on Lollipop, and ensured that Spotify is up to date. Screenshot below:

Spotify Lollipop Issue

Please add me to the list.  Latest update on a Nexus 5 caused this for me.

I think I figured it out, at least it works for me.  Install this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2524485

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrbimc.selinux

And enable permissive mode.  I reinstalled Spotify (I had previously uninstalled it because it wouldn't start).

Note: You must be rooted to use.

I'm having the same problem.  The developer stuff is beyond me.  Don't know what rooted means.

@Scott549 wrote:

I'm having the same problem.  The developer stuff is beyond me.  Don't know what rooted means.

Then this is not something you want to try.

Pleas try a clean install as per the guide here: [GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

FYI - I've just converted my M8 to GPE and am running 5.01GPE and have been using Spotify for the last 2 days without issues.

Android Troubleshooting:

This seems to be very random. Forget uninstalling it. Not going to happen. Not try to change your APN either as i've tried that and no luck. Seems to work fine on WiFi but on 4g...nooo good. If i find anything ill post. 

running Android 4.4.4 on HTC One M8 tmobile

@Nikaloz wrote:

This seems to be very random. Forget uninstalling it. Not going to happen. Not try to change your APN either as i've tried that and no luck. Seems to work fine on WiFi but on 4g...nooo good. If i find anything ill post. 

running Android 4.4.4 on HTC One M8 tmobile

That's a different issue. See this thread: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/HTC-M8-on-T-Mobile-HELP-Information-request/td-p/99416...

Android Troubleshooting:

Suggested posts