Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify starts playing automatically when a bluetooth device is connected and phone makes a sound

Solved!

Spotify starts playing automatically when a bluetooth device is connected and phone makes a sound

Plan

Premium

Country

Norway

Device

Samsung S9

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

Whenever a bluetooth device is connected to my phone, Spotify automatically starts playing the last song it was paused on if my phone makes any "noise". If I recieve a Messanger message, it starts playing as soon as the "bing" sound is over. It starts playing automatically after I've hung up a call, etc.

I've disabled auto play, I've reinstalled the app and cleared cache.
Under "car view", both "Turn on automatically" and "Always on" is disabled.

I'm unsure what more I can do.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I solved my own problem by just buying a new car with AAOS and Spotify integrated. Was easier

View solution in original post

66 Replies

I have exactly the same problem.

I use a Galaxy S10+ with Spotify Premium.

My phone is connected by Bluetooth with my car kit.

Every time I get in my car Spotify starts automaticly.

I tried to change the settings, car view off, both slides are off.

Its always starting my last listened number.

Its driving me crazy, its driving me nuts...

I've almost reached the point of removing the app!

Yes, it's what I'm experiecning as well. Starts at my last played track.

To me it's kind of worse, since I have a headset on bluetooth for work to take calls and such. Whenever I hang up a call, Spotify starts blasting. If I receive a Facebook Messenger message, text or whatever, spotify automatically starts playing where it was last paused even though the app is closed.

Same happent to me in my new Corolla. Spent many hours googling but no good solution. Then I realized my car has an "audio" button to switch "radio" on/off and to control volume (just like my old Avensis radio). Just pushed to turn it off and sound stopped, also spotify got paused too!

Cars "radio" remembers last state when car is started. Too many screen controls but the old on/off button did it.

Same problem here - I think this is due to a recent update in Spotify (either that or Android), as it did not happen beforehand.

I am using a Samsung S40, headphones are Sony WF1000-MX3, Android 10,Spotify 8.5.55.1105.

I am not 100% sure if the 'triggering event' is the fact that the phone emits a sound, but the symptoms surely are: when I have the bluetooth earbuds connected, spotitfy frequently springs to life without having been summoned, and starts playing a song I was last listening to a while ago..

Extremely annoying bug if I might say, please prioritize this one, thx!

Também estou com o mesmo problema, essa inicialização automática no modo veicular ou em qualquer dispositivo bluetooth deveria ter opção para desabilitar.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to us. This sounds odd and we'll do our best to help you out.

@FernandoszAndra Hope you don't mind us replying in English as it's the Community's official language.

We'd suggest you give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. There are also steps for restarting the device and clearing the cache. That way you can make sure the cache is not leading to this issue. 

It's also a good idea to check if the firmware is up-to-date. You can also try re-pairing the devices.

Hope this helps. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello! It's 2021 and I having the same issue.
Spotify auto starts playing every time I connect my ear buds.
All the devices are up to date and re installed the app multiple times...

Please help!

Hey @En_ri_que,

Thanks for reaching out.

We recommend that you unpair your ear buds from your phone, restart the device an pair them anew. That way the connection will be built from the ground up.

It's also worthwhile to check the individual device settings from your Bluetooth menu after paring the devices again.

If that doesn't do the trick, we'd appreciate it if you share the make, model, OS and Spotify version of the device you're experiencing this on.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

• Still doesn’t help. Having the problem with my car also. Every time I turn my car on, the last song on my Spotify autoplays. Even if I completely close out of the app, it’ll still play. It’s annoying because I DoorDash, so I’m constantly turning my car off and on, and since the volume is up for my GPS, Spotify starts blasting when I turn my car back on. The only fix I found is to just log out, which sucks because I still want to listen to music while driving around, but not the second I turn my car on. Apparently this issue has been happening for years and never been resolved, so unless there is an actual fix, I’ll be canceling my account.

Hey @Trentt1130

Thanks for posting here on the Community. 

Could you confirm if you still experience the same after running a clean reinstall of Spotify on your mobile device? This will update your app to the latest version and remove corrupted data causing the issue.  

In case this persists, make sure no battery optimization settings or data cleaning apps run active on your mobile device. Such features can often prevent the app from operating at full capacity. We also suggest accessing the app settings and making sure all Permissions are enabled for Spotify. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

I did everything you said and it definitely still did it. I got a new phone (iPhone 12 pro) after trying it, did a clean install, and it still does it. If it’s not supposed to be doing this, then something is pretty wrong, because nothing works. I’m still having to log out to prevent it from auto playing when my car starts.

Hi there @Trentt1130,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you try the following:

• Log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist.
  • Try an alternative device (if possible)
  • Ensure the operating system is up-to-date
  • Ensure device has enough storage space
  • Soft reset of the device.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

This annoying behaviour apparently is an Android feature, according to this article: https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-disable-bluetooth-automatic-playback-on-any-android-phone/

So it is not something that Spotify can influence.

I have an iPhone and it does it. It did it on my old iPhone and the brand new one I just got. Tells me that it’s a Spotify problem. I wish they’d just add a feature to turn off and on auto connect, but then again it doesn’t sound like they’re wanting it to auto connect at all and having trouble figuring out how to make it not?

I tried another account. Same problem

Happens to me all the time. Incredibly annoying and has been going on for years. In fact if I am connected to my any audio device with bluetooth (car, headset, whatever), after I receive a text it start playing the last song. If I force kill the app, it will start itself every f'n time after I get a text or other notification. Dumb as **bleep**.

Why don't you guys ever actually try and fix this instead of all the silly uninstall/reinstall/repair bluetooth suggestions that are a waste of time??

That is iOS, don't know how that works, but for Android I suspect this behaviour to be built in into the OS, since all players (like Google Music when it still existed) would show this behaviour

No, it is not, because it happens to IOS and even with my Toyota media center.

Anyone could fix this annoying bug? For those in brazil, try reclameaqui.com.br

Suggested posts