Premium

Country

Singapore 

Device

Galaxy A51

Operating System

Android version 11

My Question or Issue

I currently have two notifications on my phone everytime I play music? If I want to get rid of the Spotify notification on my notification bar, it always requires me to swipe twice. The first "page", it will show the song that is currently playing with Playing on this phone, but the next page is a fixed song that is always there even if I'm not playing it. I don't understand why this is happening, and it is quite annoying.

72 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @tzexin7chew

Can you check if toggling Background App Refresh on/off for Spotify in your OS settings removes the second notification? Also, it's good to restart your device after each change to make sure they actually take effect. 

Also, it's a good idea to check if the Spotify app is excluded from any battery or Storage optimization services. Even though you may not have them installed, some devices have them pre-installed. You can contact the manufacturer regarding the preset configuration. 

Spotify recently rolled out a new version of the app, so it's a good idea to check for the update and download it or do another clean reinstall of the app

Let me know how everything goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I'm having exactly this problem here. I just came to the community to talk about it and see your post haha. It looks be a Spotify trouble with the Android 11. 

Thanks a lot! Just restarted my phone and it's back to one notification... Not really sure which step it was that led it back to that but I wasn't aware I had to restart my phone after each step. Again, thanks for the help!

Hey @tzexin7chew

You’re welcome! I’m happy to hear that. If you need help with anything in the future, you can reply here or you can always start a new topic and the Community will be happy to help.

@vctgomes,

Can you try following the steps provided in my earlier replies, and let me know what happens for each step?

Keep me posted.

Billy-JSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have tried this and it does not work. I have a Samsung S20 Ultra. It is super annoying and frustrating it literally does not go away unless I restart my phone. I have tried every single piece of advice that has been given and it still does not stop. I tried alao disabling all notifications and having playback only and it was working for a bit but then it stopped!! How can I fix this?? It's driving me insane. This issue has been unsolved since April, I see a bunch of people on reddit post about this too.

I have done clean install, tried different profiles, different phones and it still happens on the samsung phone. How can I stop spotify from having multiple sessions and just stick to 1??? 

Screenshot_20210629-081827_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210629-081832_Chrome.jpg

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for your post on this thread.

Just to confirm, does it only happen on your Samsung device? Does it persist when using different accounts? Additionally, let us know the OS version of the affected device, along with the Spotify version you're running.

Also, can you let us know if that only happens when using Bluetooth headphones or buds, or if it also happens when listening directly from the phone's speaker?

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

How do I remove the multiple playback cards from my notifications? Only one works, the others just resume the song from the card that works. They can't be removed normally.

SmartSelect_20210714-121239_Gallery.gif
SmartSelect_20210714-121336_Gallery.gif

Thank you for the reply, but since then this has still been happening to every user that has experienced it. I confirmed with a bunch of people on reddit that it's still going on.

I have an S20 Ultra, running Android 11. I confirmed with other people on reddit and it happens to a bunch of devices even Google Pixels. I have tried everything at this point and it's just frustrating that it's still not fixed. It randomly does it to be honest. With bluetooth or no bluetooth it always has a chance. I've seen it say "Playing on this device" even though I'm playing something else

Hi @Uuultra,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We've moved your post to this thread as it's related to your report and there's some info here that might be useful.

Could you try the steps shared by @Billy-J and let us know what happens? 

If this doesn't do the trick, please send us the make, model and OS version of your phone, along with the Spotify version you're running.

Keep us posted!

JulianModerator

Hi @user-removed,

Thanks for getting back in touch

To help us narrow down the possible cause of this issue and check if it's account-related, can you confirm if you've already tried logging in to a different account on your phone? Does the issue persist?

Also, remember to let us know the Spotify version you're running.

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Hi, so I am able to verify that even with a different account it still happens and it happens randomly. I have to restart for it to get fixed, even stopping spotify from running doesn't fix it. And the restart only works sometimes for a couple of hours and it comes back.

Hey there @user-removed, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

It seems that this has been solved for other users so we think it might be an issue specific to your ROM version.

In this case, you can reach out to our Support team through any of these channels so they can take a closer look at this. Make sure to send them this thread's link so they can be aware of what we've already tried. 

If you need help with anything else, just let us know. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I was having this issue too and decided to check my notification permissions. There was two instances of spotify and external applications in the permissions for the app. Reinstalling the app removed the second instance. I will edit this post if this fixes the issue permanently. I am running android 11 on an s10

Hey @advtech,

Thanks for letting us know what worked for you 🙂

Keep us posted how it goes.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I can confirm that this issue is not solved on Samsung devices, I get it occurring almost every day. I'm using an S10, fully up to date on the standard firmware, no custom ROM or anything. Spotify app fully updated.

Also can you please confirm what instructions you mean when referring to Billy J's post - I scrolled back through the thread and the instructions refer to "Background App Refresh " which appears to be a setting for iPhones.  My Samsung S10 at least does not have a setting with this name.

Just to reiterate - myself and @Uuultra, are talking about the issue occurring on Android.

Thanks

Hi there @Retro83,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you try the following:

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap General.
  3. Tap Background App Refresh.
  4. From the list of apps shown, use the toggle Background App Refresh on with Spotify .

Keep us posted.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thanks, but I think those are the same iPhone instructions I was referring to.

There is no "General" option under Settings. There is "General Settings" however there is no "Background App Refresh" option under that.

The phone is a Samsung S10

Hey @Retro83,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Sorry for the misunderstanding. In this case, could you please try the following steps to see if anything changes?

1. Exit the app.
  2. Open "Settings"
  3. Select App(Applications)/Application Manager from the setting List.
  4. Select Spotify
  5. Select Force Stop/Clear Cache and Clear Data.
  6. Reopen the app from the home screen.

In case you're using any battery optimization or power saving apps, it's a good idea to deactivate them for Spotify. Does that make a difference?

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Jeremy,

I am dealing with the same problems described by others here. It also drives me crazy! I will get sometimes 5 Spotify "notifications" to swipe thru on my notifications bar. Right now I have 3. If I want to get rid of them, the only "solution" is to go into Settings>Apps>Spotify>Force stop>delete app> turn phone off an on. Even that is a temporary solution that lasts a few hours before I have 2 tabs again. Do you know a permanent solution?

I notice the multiple Spotify tabs get worse after I have connected to a Bluetooth speaker, headphones, my car. I believe I've tried all of the solutions on here that I could figure out...

Do you have an idea of what is wrong? And how to fix it- permanently? Forcing the app to stop, deleting the app, and restarting my phone is just a big daily hassle.

Thank you for your support!

Hi no difference I'm afraid. The double notification was back this morning 😔

Suggested posts