Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[UPDATED 13/02/15] [HTC M8 on T-Mobile] [HELP] Information request

Solved!

[UPDATED 13/02/15] [HTC M8 on T-Mobile] [HELP] Information request

UPDATE:- HTC & T-Mobile have released the Lollipop update (Android 5.0.1). Some users are reportig that they can now stream sucessfully after applying this update. If you are affeced and have not yet received the update please manually check for updates and apply if available.

There is an increasing number of reports that people using the HTC One M8 on T-Mobile in the US are having issues connecting to Spotify while on mobile data. This is caused by T-Mobile changing to using IPv6 as opposed to the usual IPv4.

Some people have reported success in creating a new APN and setting it as default (instructions below). While others report that this works temporarily, but after some time it defaults back to the original IPv6 supported APN.

If this affects you please can do the below:

1. Create a new APN (or modify your existing APN to: default,mms,supl,admin,hipri)

Spoiler
  • From any Home screen, tap Apps.
  • Tap Settings.
  • Tap Mobile data.
  • Touch Access Point Names.
  • If available, tap the T-Mobile Data (the bullet point fills with green). If not available, tap the Menu key, and then tap New APN
  • Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN:
    • Name: T-Mobile US LTE
    • APN: fast.t-mobile.com
    • Proxy: <Not set>
    • Port: <Not set>
    • Username: <Not set>
    • Password: <Not set>
    • Server: <Not set>
    • MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    • MMS proxy: <Not set>
    • MMS port: <Not set>
    • MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    • MCC: 310
    • MNC: 260
    • Authentication type: <Not set>
    • APN type: default,mms,supl,admin,hipri
    • APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    • APN roaming protocol: IPv4
    • Enable/disable APN: <greyed out unless there are multiple APN's>
    • Bearer: Unspecified
  • Tap the Menu key.
  • Tap Save.
  • Tap the APN profile you just created.
  • The bullet point fills with green next to the APN profile.

2. Ensure this APN is set as your default

3. Wait a couple of days

4. Please come back and complete the below linked form letting me know if you can still connect on mobile data or not. Please only report this for HTC One M8 issues, for all other devices please post in the topic: [Android] T-Mobile No Internet Connection

HTC One M8 connection issues reporting form

Whilst the most ideal scenario is for Spotify to enable IPv6 support, in the mean time we can at least identify the particular models affected by this and I believe that it may be the T-Mobile modified (CID) software that is reverting back to IPv6... and those that have had success I believe would be running a different 'unbranded' software version which hasn't gone through T-Mobile and therefore hasn't been modified by them.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History
33 Replies

My third email to them so far - TO CEO/Head of Product - STILL NO RESPONSE

to support, Nicholas, Charlie, Chug

Hi Team,

I hate to do this again, but it's that time of year.

Where is the update? Where is the communication with the Spotify community. You no doubt know that this is a big issue now with Internet Connectivity.

Can we run through how customer service works again please? I'm the customer and you're supposed to service me/product if something goes wrong, correct?

Is there a reason for the stonewalling? Is it that you don't have it worked out? Is it that you're just trapped under all that money 🙂 and letting your low level employees deal with the blow out?

The solution from ddkurowski worked for me. My question now is what type of timeline Spotify expects for a fix. From what I've seen this issue is specific to the M8 model and the Tmobile network. I'd like to know why other programs handle the IPV4/6 switch with no issues, but Spotify can't seem to get it right.

I really would hate to leave a platform I enjoy due to poor customer service (Because their CS office certainly doesn't understand proper call resolution/handoff ) and an unwillingless to follow through.

Im using my trial of Google Play all acess right now and can I say, I like it a lot. First of all, the app actually works, the design is great, and it has way better radio than spotify. Check it out, its a 30 day free trial.

The only reason I might want to stay with spotify is because of their student discout, I would have to pay twice what im paying now for a music service, but maybe its worth it.

Hello everyone. Staff here. I apologise that this issue has persisted.

Our development team is continuing to work hard on finding a fix for this. We’ll post in this thread as soon as we have an update.

Rorey - Thanks for at least making it known that there's a problem. The others who work for Spotify are not as communicative as you, even though it was a canned response.

Spotify for music is quickly turning into Comcast when it comes to customer service, something I don't think the Customer Service Team would be happy to be labeled as.

I think it's a bit silly that I and others have had to persist on this board for so long to get a short reponse like the one you gave us.

At this point I can probably give a better update than yourself.

Manny told me - 

Dec. 25th - JUST RECIEVED a test HTC ONE M8 Device running on TMOBILE

Dec. 25th - Was finally able to replicate the problem

January 1st/2nd - We're working on it.

How is it that it took you guys THAT LONG to get a tester device to work? I did 80% of the screen shotting and trouble shooting for you. 

Rory - It's not your problem, but I think it's good if you could give us a little more insight into the following three points -

1. Why has it taken so long for a Spotify Response?

2. Will Spotify REFUND ALL USERS FOR THE MONTHS WHERE THE PRODUCT WAS NOT WORKING PROPERLY?

3. How will you prevent something like this from occuring again in the future?

How can Spotify prepare themselves from silly and rash decisions f rom your service provider? 🙂

Hey everyone! We're still investigating this and will report back here as soon as we have an update. The best thread to follow is in the Ongoing Issues board here: "[Android] No Internet Connection"

Okay do not go to that thread it is most certainly not the best one to follow. Follow this one as it already has st3p by step instructions to successfully change the APN settings with them reverting back.

@eastonch - that's a funny comment.

Consider this - we pay Spotify for a service. We are told that it will work on Android/iOS devices, correct? 

Now, what they do behind the scenes is up to them and how they want to handle it. What we have here is a team that's unwilling to address a problem unless it's called out multiple times, and then doesn't respond to their own help board, but leaves it up to rookie posters.

@meredith ...waiting on an update

Hey everyone! If you could follow the steps below to switch to IPV4 it would be a great help (the specific settings below are for a T-Mobile customer). Let us know how this works for you, thanks for your patience while we looked into this for you!

Name: T-MOBILE
APN: fast.tmobile.com

Proxy: <Leave in Blank>
Port: <Leave in Blank>
Username: <Leave in Blank>
Password: <Leave in Blank>
Server: <Leave in Blank>

MMSChttp://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy: <Leave in Blank>
MMS port: <Leave in Blank>
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication type: <Leave in Blank>
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN Protocol: IPv4

1. From the App Drawer in your Android, click Settings.

2. Click Mobile data (on the text).
mobile data.png

3. Click Access point names.

4. Click the menu icon (the three vertical dots at the top), to reveal New APN action, and click New APN.

new apn.png

5. Fill in the APN settings from above.

6. When done, click the menu icon again, and click Save.

7. Activate the new APN, by clicking its radio-button.

radio button.png

8. At this point, your phone will disconnect from the network, and reconnect using the new APN settings. This may take a few seconds.

Hey everyone, just as an FYI we have a Help article on this right here

Please continue to check this thread over here for updates on this issue as we work on resolving it. We'll close this thread for now as all updates will be in the "Ongoing Issues" board. Thanks everyone! 

Can people confirm if the latest update for T-Mobile on the M8 has fixed this issue? The update includes Android 5.0.1 (Lollipop) and it is believed that some users are now able to stream sucessfully.

If you are on T-Mobile and have an HTC One_M8 please check for updates by going to 'Settings - About - Software Update'

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Suggested posts