Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy S10+

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

I've noticed when connected to my car via bluetooth (no android auto), the video part of any podcast will not load. The audio will work, but it seems the video doesn't even attempt to load. This happens both when podcasts are downloaded and not downloaded so it can't be an internet issue. I'm unsure if this is intentional or not by Spotify, but messing around in the settings I could not find anything either. Hope there's an easy fix somewhere, thanks!

61 Replies

Rogan needs to go back to youtube for sure.

spotifys trash for videos.

This isn't the solution, the link doesnt apply to spotify video playing audio through bluetooth. Having the same issues as everyone else. I'm on Galaxy S10+ trying to watch Rogan, trying to not regret paying for spotify to listen. (No rewind or ffwd in free spotify. another complaint in itself)

Is this another issue that's going to take 5+ years to fix like adding organizing playlists on Android? F**** sake.

• That's ridiculous. I hope Joe Rogan doesn't have a long contract with you guys so it can go back on YouTube witch gives the people what they want. I don't need spotify policing my life.

That link is completely irrelevant. Everyone is having the same issue, it is not related to audio - it is the VIDEO stopping (JRE Podcast specifically) on spotify app on mobile whenever the phone is connected to bluetooth. It happens in my car with my samsung s10 and also my iphone xr on my bluetooth speaker. Whenever the phone is connected to something on bluetooth the video is black. When BT disconnects the video comes back straight away.  

Update: Recently upgraded to a OnePlus 9 Pro from my previous S10+ and still having the same issue in my 2018 Nissan Altima. 

Please stop ignoring this issue and make a meaningful response and fix it already.  

Why is Spotify blocking the video when I connect to bluetooth? No other app has this problem. At least be honest about this Admins. 

Hi folks,

Thanks for your posts.

We understand your frustration from not being able to access the full range of app features while driving.

Many on-board systems do not allow videos to be played on certain apps, while connected to the car via BT/cable, this is why the Video option gets automatically disabled on some vehicles. 

Driving responsibly and with as few distractions as possible is very important.

If you do feel like this policy should change, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Im sorry but that is such a cop out of a reply. 

You can play games on a Tesla if you click that you are the passenger, whilst the car is driving. 
Spotify does not even give you an option. There can be multiple passengers sitting in the back that want to watch the podcast and its impossible. 

This is not a thought out feature at all. 

Spotify is losing its quality. Lets not mention all the issues from the recent update. 

Truely disapointing. 

The Bluetooth video issue has nothing to do with infotainment systems blocking video on the app. 

1) The video does not work on Bluetooth in general, not just in vehicles.  I also cannot watch videos when hooked up to a Bluetooth headset. 

2)The feature works fine on the iOS app, in vehicles and otherwise. 

This is an issue with your android app, plain and simple.  Spotify does not seem to prioritize the user experience on their android app and are reluctant to acknowledge issues there.

The responses that are pawning this off as a safety issue are condescending and tone def.  Your users are explaining a legitimate issue across the android platform and you are treating them like children.  

Hi @scottlocascio

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Since the issue you mention is a bit different from the original post's topic, we suggest that you create a new thread here. We'll be happy to help you there. 

Have a nice day!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

His issue is basically the same issue I've been having for months and is the same issue stated in my original post. We still have not had a clear answer to videos not working while connected to certain sources on android. It's been months.

Here is a solution that works 100% of the time on my galaxy s10. I have a Bluetooth headset to use as hands free device. I use vehicle audio for music. You will need to bring a phone audio device with you in the vehicle. 

Step 1: have vehicle set for just media do this in your Bluetooth settings on your phone. Then have your calls with only turned on the settings on headset. 

Step 2: start podcast and after you start the podcast bring Bluetooth settings up amd you should have 2 devices connected. Bring the headphones/ headset device up and turn on the media setting then wait 3 seconds and turn it off. The end result is the media will now be playing in the car and video will have been started and will continue to play. If this confused anyone idk what to tell you.

Basically you need it connected to car for media only and need a set of headphones with microphone capabilities and have it set to calls only then after you start podcast go to Bluetooth settings on your phone and turn on media on headphones then turn media off. It unlocks video.

I know its a bunch of **bleep** to go through but it works every time and after you do it a few times it takes 2 minutes or less

When Joe Rogan first moved to Spotify I got extremely frustrated with trying to play content, especially when trying to play or even find video. As a result, I just stopped trying for months.

I recently decided to try again while my girlfriend was driving me. She likes to listen on the car speakers while I watch the video. At first the podcast wouldn't even play and it showed it was playing 0:00 of 0:00 of the episode. I restarted the app after turning off car play and downloading the episode.

When it finally started playing, I assumed the podcast was still having issues on your platform with playing video so I decided to look up the problem.

After finding this thread, i decided to test turning off blue tooth to see if video would pop up. As soon as I turned Bluetooth off, the video could play. I am not a child and have not been in an accident for over 22 years. If I want to listen to audio through my car speakers and watch video while riding in the car, I should be able to do so.

The only reason I've been a subscriber for the past 4 or so years is that my family is on my plan. Otherwise, there is no good reason considering I have barely used the app in years. I've had numerous issues and took to just using YouTube or YouTube music when I could otherwise use this app.

You made an exclusive deal with JRE and that was smart because it's the only reason I even opened the app again. I get that you're trying to be responsible, but there is a difference between being responsible and being a bad provider. I am writing this right now while the car is parked and the video is disabled.

You've obviously set the app to check what Bluetooth connection its on, or maybe even you're using some type of location check to see if I'm at home.

You're taking liberties with my personal use of my devices by doing this. I didn't ask or expect you to be checking what devices my phone is connecting to. I am not angry or upset so much as I am disappointed that you've chosen to invade my personal life like this.

I agree. Spotify's lack of transparency has been aggravating.

I appreciate you sharing solutions, but if I'm being quite honest I don't want to go through that much effort to use something I am paying for. I would sooner just rip the video and play it in a different app. I know I could figure that out with little effort, but I'm not doing that either.

I'll still listen to JRE when there's a guest I want to listen to like recently occurred. However, I won't keep checking the app for it. I'm also likely going to ask my family to sign up for their own Spotify account(s) and cancel if stuff like this keeps happening. I didn't subscribe to be treated like I can't make decisions for myself.

I appreciate the sincere and polite tone you are using with this message. However, if Spotify wants me to minimize the amount of "distractions" that occur while a user is *driving* then program your app to address that specific problem.

I am once again parked in the car and unless I turn Bluetooth off on my phone I can't watch a video on your app. I am sitting in my car and waiting for someone and it's been about twenty minutes. This isn't keeping me safer while driving, it's just a company choosing a sloppy solution for a problem I am not paying them to fix.

I haven't tried connecting to Bluetooth devices at home to listen to Spotify, but if the speakers in my house work and the car doesn't then your company is choosing to check what Bluetooth devices I am connected to. It is then deciding which ones I should be allowed to watch video while connected to.

That your company is deciding this about my car, what prevents you from deciding I can only connect to beats or JBL? This is over reach by your company and I didn't realize until now how much data you might be collecting while I am using or not using your app.

It's not that I need to watch video while driving because I don't care to do that anyway. When driving, I drive my car. When I'm parked or a passenger I use my phone to distract myself when I feel it's appropriate to do so. Your company shouldn't be checking what devices I'm connected to just as it shouldn't be telling me what devices I should be allowed to use services with in this manner. 

This is unacceptable.

Yes i dint listen like i used to either. I think its dumb to have to
workaround it. If i cant just click and video come up i just don't care
anymore. I hope he doesn't resign.

Suggested posts