NEXT STEP

Volume SPIKES (and my world explodes!)

Volume SPIKES (and my world explodes!)

Plan : Premium

Country USA

Spotify version: 8.5.50.916

Device: Google Pixel2

Operating System (Android 10)

WiFi Speakers: Sonos Playbar and Samsung Soundbar Q90R (firmware: HW-Q90RWWB-1008.0)

I have a MAJOR problem with the Volume Control of either Spotify or Google Android that has damaged expensive sound equipment!
For some reason the "Media Volume" on my Phone is ALWAYS at 50% when I first try to adjust the volume when playing music! It starts at its lowest setting and somehow SPIKES up to 50%.
THIS HAS TO BE FIXED. NO EXCUSES! NO PASSING THE BUCK! SOMEONE FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD, FIX THIS!. TAKE SOME INITIATIVE AND DO IT. DON'T WAIT. DON'T PROCRASTINATE. JUST DO IT NOWWWWWWWW!!!!!

To be clear, 50% volume is NOT where the volume was set. And it is NOT the volume level that the music first begins playing at. BUT as soon as the volume on the phone is adjusted AT ALL it SUDDENLY BLASTS the music at 50% and BLOWS OUT SPEAKERS!
FOR EXAMPLE, the phone's "Media Volume" is at 1 tick, it's lowest setting (out of 25 ticks.) Spotify is launched and the Media Volume is still at 1 tick. Music can be played and the volume can be adjust up or down no problem (the volume remains low.) Good so far...
Then I turn on my WiFi speaker (Samsung Q90R.) It show the volume is at 7 on the speaker (out of 100) on its display. It is not playing music, yet. I use Spotify to connect to an alternate listening device ("Devices Available" option) and pick the WiFi speaker. The music begins playing over the WiFi speaker and the volume is still relatively low at 7. I can use the remote control for the WiFi speaker to adjust the volume up or down (1% at a time), no problem. It adjusts smoothly up and down starting at the low level (7) it was at. Still going good...
Then as soon as I accidentally (by habit) use the phone's volume rocker (instead of the WiFi speaker's remote) to adjust the volume down slightly, KABOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE VOLUME SHOOTS WAY UP TO 50% ON THE PHONE'S "MEDIA VOLUME" ICON AND THEN ALSO ON THE WIFI SPEAKER DISPLAY, BLOWING OUT THE SPEAKERS, BREAKING WINDOWS AND WAKING THE DEAD AROUND THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!! (You don't wanna wake the dead, trust me... It sounds like fun, but it's not!)

WHAT THE **bleep** IS WRONG WITH YOU PROGRAMMERS AND TESTERS?! DOESN'T ANYONE TEST THIS **bleep** OUT? HOLY HORSECRAP!!!!
10 to 20 on my WiFi speaker is pretty loud. 50?!!!! 50 is like a massive comet streaking out of gawd's **bleep** crack straight into my eardrum at Mach 50. IT'S LOUD!!!! And it's HORSECRAP! It should never happen SUDDENLY!
SOUND LEVELS ON ANY DEVICE OR SPEAKER SYSTEM SHOULD NEVER JUMP INSTANTLY FROM 1 to 50 WITHOUT ALSO PASSING THRU 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, and 49 ON THE VOLUME DIAL.
IT SHOULD BE A GAWDAMN SAFETY FEATURE, YOU NITS! So, the way I count it, you **bleep** up at least 49 times, IN A ROW!
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE FIX THIS BEFORE THE WORLD SHATTERS!
And NO, I'm not going to test this **bleep** out for you unless you want to keep buying me new speaker systems! Just make it work properly... Thanks!

This seems to be a Spotify or Android bug of some type. It doesn't appear to be related to my WiFi Speakers/Sound Systems as it's happened to multiple devices. My best guess is it's a bug with Android as it's the "Media Volume" that shoots up when the Android Volume rocker on the side of the phone is touched. But it could also be some weird interaction between Spotify and Android or even the WiFi speakers. But since it happens when using Spotify and nothing else, I'm posting here first.

I've tried playing around with various audio setting in Spotify and Android, but can't find any setting that seems relevant and that can fix the problem.
I can't find any posts with a suggested fix. Just old ones like, Android-Volume-spike-when-using-Connect  that claim it's already "fixed."
But it's NOT! Or it's back? What the **bleep**!

Thanks.

Fix it for the kittens. They're counting on you!

But seriously, someone should be fired for this. It's a horrible mistake that appears to be years old and reoccuring. It should be fixed in multiple ways so volume can never jump so severly. Damaging equipment is infuriating, but you can seriously injure peoples' hearing doing this! Fix it once and for all or I will (by deinstalling and cancelling spotify.) Don't make me do it. My finger's hovering over the cancel button... I'll do it.... Trust me, I'll do it.... I'm about to do it... Just watch... It's gonna happen...

18 Replies

I agree 100%. Having a coronary episode should not be part of the spotify experience. It's either risk burn in on the OLED by having the spotify static app display on the screen (by connecting via spotify app --> TV --> soundbar) or replace the windows every time I adjust the volume in the normal way (with the phone volume control, by connecting spotify app directly to soundbar).

Please address, it does seem like a ridiculous and dangerous oversight.

I have the same issue: when choosing my Cocktail Audio X35 in the Spotify Connect app, the device starts playing on normal volume.  When I touch the volume button on my phone (Motorola G8 power on Android 10) the volume played by the speakers suddenly increases to 48 which scared not only myself but also my sleeping neighbours like **bleep**!!!! Hope my KEF speakers survived this stupid and totally unacceptable issue, but if not Spotify obviously will receive the bill...

I expect an immediate and thoroughly investigation and solution of this issue by Spotify, seen the fact it is a general issue (on several devices apparently) and as it is indeed not solved as Spotify claims in another message.

Another issue: my Cocktail X35 is more NOT showing on the Spotify Connect app than showing, allthough it is for sure in the same network.  Please fix this as well.  If you want users to connect through the app, make sure it is approachable and has no bugs as described above!!

Spotify version 8.5.62.904

Cocktail Audio X35 with latest firmware installed

KEF IQ90 speakers

Motorola G8 Power on Android 10 - version QPE30.79-75

Here the same with Samsung Soundbar Q80R.

Same issue for me.

Samsung Q90R soundbar. Firmware HW-Q90RWWB-1010.5 128R
iPHone XS. iOS 14 Public Beta 14.5

Made the mistake twice to set volume using iPhone. Actually scared to use Spotify a the moment. Which is silly because using spotify with the Soundbar is a must have feature for me. And getting the Soundbar remote for adjusting volume when I use my phone is not logical and not practical.

Same here with brandnew Samsung Q80R soundbar.

Terrifying for my neighbors and dangerous for my ears!

Please fix it!

Same problem here... (brand new HW-Q86R)

If you have a smart TV, you might run the Spotify app from that TV directly, no sound explodes, all good.

I'm having the same problem with Q90R. Actually afraid to use Spotify Connect on the soundbar currently because it really gets insanely loud with this issue! Disappointing that no one from Spotify has acknowledged this problem...

Just had this happen, but the volume increased to 100% and got stuck there. App kept cranking the volume back up to max until I closed the app completely and cleared the cache.

It seems like most of you experiencing this bug have a Samsung system.

I have almost the same problem with Samsung HW-Q950T soundbar surround system when playing through Spotify Connect from my iPhone.

The volume settings on my phone stay as they were, BUT the volume is WAY too high relative to any other source.

Volume setting 10 of 100 sounds like volume setting 50 on any other source such as Bluetooth, TV through HDMI eARC, optical etc. This also means that changing the volume is extremely sensitive.

I'm positive that this can be fixed in a software update from either Samsung and/or Spotify.

I've tried to get attention from Samsung on their Samsung Community forum, without luck.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/audio-video/hw-q950t-extremely-loud-volume-from-spotify-connect/...

Let's try to get some more attention in order for this to be fixed 😀

Well... this issue exists for more than one YEAR now and nobody seems to care about it.
Yes, i would like to have this fixed as well, but i think neither Samsung nor Spotify will take any action to take care of that.  It's just BAD service.

Too bad 😩 I’m sure it would be easy to fix it!

I used to have this issue on my Samsung Q80R but it seems to be fixed now as of some time. I have the latest firmware and the latest version of Spotify for Android. I'm still a bit scared to use the rocker, PTSD from the previous episodes of volume jumping to a deafening 50

A similar yet different issue here. Samsung HW61A soundbar, iPhone, Spotify Connect. The phone‘s rocker increases and decreases the volume like that: 0 > 5 > 10 > 15, etc. So at least no sudden, dangerous spikes, but I‘d prefer a finer control. If I try to adjust the volume with the soundbar‘s remote, it changes in steps of 1. However, after a short moment, it jumps back to the previous value. 😐 It seems someone‘s been trying to fix this but did not really get it right. 

Forgot to say: the values given in my previous post were obtained from the SmartThings app.

I just tested the issue further by using Spotify Connect on a HAMA device. Similar issues there, for example, jumping back to a previous volume.

Back to the Samsung soundbar: it behaves like it‘s supposed to when I use the Spotify app on the connected Samsung TV. Both remote controls go up and down in steps of 1. When I do this, the volume change is displayed on the iPhone! 🫤 Unless I end the Spotify app by swiping up. Conclusion: this appears to be an issue with Spotify Connect, either the software that is part of the iOS app or the software that enables wifi speakers to use this type of connection. Whether it is one or the other it seems clear who is in charge of fixing this. Let me know what you think. 

When using the spotify app on Android and connecting to my Teufel sound bar the volume increments are terrible. From 0 to 7 to 14 to 21, aka silent to quiet to slightly OK to insanely loud.

Please fix the increments of the volume in the android app. This has been an issue for years with you. External apps are available for this on Android, but not in combination action with Spotify connect.

It's a minor change, change increments from large steps to single steps, 0 to 100 in 100 steps.

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy s21+

Operating System

Android v13 / One UI 5.1

My Question or Issue

Lately the Spotify app has been giving me issue with the volume.  It seems to randomly dampen the volume and then suddenly spike it back to the original volume while I'm using the app (Note: the phones system volume doesn't change, just Spotify's output).  It's very unpredictable, but I notice it happens the most when I change songs or open other apps on my phone.  This issue persists along all my Bluetooth audio devices (not sure if its an issue through native speakers).  This is only a problem on Spotify's Google Play application, and NOT on the Spotify mobile website.  I appreciate anyone who can help!  It's been happening for about a month now.

List of troubleshooting I've already tried:

• Restarting my phone
  • Reinstalling Spotify
  • Turning of "Normalize Volume"
  • Setting equalizer settings to their default
  • Turning of "Dolby Atmos" and "Adaptive Sound"

Still no reply? 

I'm experiencing this issue on my S23.

Suggested posts