Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Yamaha AV Receiver and Android how does it work

Solved!

Yamaha AV Receiver and Android how does it work

Hello, I use an apperently  a spotify enabled yamaha receiver. I need help how to get spotify run at this AV receiver.

I use no apple devices only android phones tabs etc.

Thanks 

122 Replies

End of January before  the test period ends

I might test napster as well, wondering if this is better

The whole cloud idea will only work if we all have realy fast connections.

I life in the so called science city Heidelberg  (approx 40.000 students and employees) and I live close to the center and only get 6 mbits over DSL!   

Germany is very slow with this and Heidelberg particular

Recently (two days ago) I bought a Yamaha RX-V675. After an hour of connecting and installing I was ready to use Spotify Connect. The only reason I traded in my RX-V673 in the first place. You can imagine my suprise and disappointment when I wasn't able to use SC.

I had asked my dealer about their experience with SC and they told me it worked fine.

When I confronted them they told me that they didn't know any better. Based on the information provided by Yamaha, they assumed that the latest firmware already would have been installed.

Just to warn you. It is not.

At this point it is still not clear when the new firmware will be available.

@PeterMerkin wrote:

If you live in Europe, Yamaha Finland has said that it should happen this month. Not sure if that's true of course. But it's something.

Yamaha uk support wrote me a few days ago that there is still no confirmed date and "we hope the firmware should be coming out in the next few weeks".

I don't understand how nobody knows anything, yet they advertise this feature on front page of their website?

Thanks for the update...

In South Germany we have spring today + 17 Celsius!!  So I have time to wait.

Otherwise I like my Yamaha very much espcially the dialouge lift funktion is great, it works ver well w/o front presence speakers and excellent with front presence. 

I am planning to buy a Yamaha RX-V775 but this spotify issue is a real downer. I use spotify on a daily basis which was why this feature was a very big part in the descision finding process.

I really hope they implement this feature as soon as possible. I wish there was some sort of newsletter option by Yamaha regarding this issue.

Noone would miss a possible firmware release.

@PeterMerkin wrote:

Recently (two days ago) I bought a Yamaha RX-V675. After an hour of connecting and installing I was ready to use Spotify Connect. The only reason I traded in my RX-V673 in the first place. You can imagine my suprise and disappointment when I wasn't able to use SC.

I had asked my dealer about their experience with SC and they told me it worked fine.

When I confronted them they told me that they didn't know any better. Based on the information provided by Yamaha, they assumed that the latest firmware already would have been installed.

Just to warn you. It is not.

I believe the firmware may also update on the RX-V673 so you may not have needed to upgrade your hardware. I might be wrong but I'm holding on to my 673 for now.

Thanks for the update. However, it's a bit too late to get it back.

Don't hold me too it.

I just read on a HIFI Seller's website that the 673 will support Spotify with firmware update.

They may just say that to try and get rid of old stock.

You should be good though with the 675. That's definitely a 2013 model and it's on the list of models Yamaha quoted in their press release.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/9/prweb11087437.htm

If the 673 doesn't get updated I'm interested if anyone has rooted their Android phones and installed the AirAudio app? Apparently it intercepts any audio playing on the device and sends to an airplay receiver.

Thanks for letting me know. May be you do not know this yet:

http://www.androidcentral.com/root

jasonpritchie: I'm using AirAudio app, it works OK but the sound quality is not the best. This could be dependent on the device (I'm using N7).

Is there any news about the firmware release that will enable the 2013 AVR series spotify connect feature?

There is a new page on Yamaha USA website (according to Google, this page showed up 4 days ago) > http://usa.yamaha.com/about_yamaha/corporate_information/product_rebates_and_promotions/spotify_conn...

They write: "These models are compatible with Spotify Connect via a firmware update. Click on a model link to begin the download process."

So i got excited and I clicked on all the models listed, but there is no new firmware update for any of the models.

Yes Version 1.20 youcan downlod it.

Version 1.20 is available since june 2013.

@hhrhd wrote:
Yes Version 1.20 youcan downlod it.

V1.20 for x75 series is old (Released June 2013) and it does not include support for Spotify Connect.

I just got an 830. Firmware 1.20. No Sonos Connect. I am really not happy that they have been advertising "Sonos Connect" for their A830 on their websites for weeks or even months, but still have not firmware with Sonos Connect. Not good, Yamaha!

It would have been easier for all parties if Yamaha came clean about why it's taking them so long. Or even better... when we can expect the firmware for this so heavily advertised feature. In this way it is turning into one big clusterf@ck for all of us.

I have asked Yamaha via Twitter when it'll finally come, to put some pressure on this. See https://twitter.com/fredzlux/status/425598024442589184 . Retweet to gain traction 😉

Suggested posts