Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Missing Music...why?

Solved!

Missing Music...why?

Can someone explain why the following albums have recently gone missing:

Pavement - "Brighten The Corners"

Pavement - "Terror Twilight"

Smashing Pumpkins - "Pisces Iscariot"

Smashing Pumpkins - "Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness"

Smashing Pumpkins - "Adore"

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - "The Tyranny Of Distance"

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - "Hearts Of Oak"

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - "Shake The Sheets"

Is there an ETA for the return of any of these?

Also...Is there any chance that the following will be added soon:

Built To Spill - "There Is Nothing Wrong With Love"

Modest Mouse - "This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About"

Modest Mouse - "The Loneseome Crowded West"

Modest Mouse - "Building Nothing Out Of Something"

Genesis - "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"

Peter Gabriel

Pink Floyd

John Lennon

Your competitors seem to have them...

108 Replies

Hey, I wasn't sure where to post this, but does anyone know why the album "Prehistoricisms" by Intronaut is not uploaded?  It was released under Century Media, and while it may have been removed when Century Media originally pulled its music, it apparently never got re-added, even though Intronaut's other albums did.  Does anyone know the answer to this?

Hey, I received an album from Crystal Lake (Zooland Records) and here some tracks are not in Spotify.

However I would like especially this track to Spotify!!!

UK ManiaxRhythm of my discosound

2013-02-06_13-37-38_507.jpg

CHVRCHES seem to have been taken off Spotify; there's only one song there now. What's going on? 😞

@amilaj wrote:

CHVRCHES seem to have been taken off Spotify; there's only one song there now. What's going on? 😞

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

Any content that has disappeared or been removed (the tracks will still be in your playlist, just hidden because they unplayable) is normally down to the record label or rights holder. Sometimes content is removed due to licensing changes, transfer of ownership or due to a request from the content owner. Normally tracks will reappear at some point in the future s keep an eye out 😉

Spotify upload all music which is made available to them for our enjoyment!

I would suggest you have a read at the missing content FAQ as it will probably answer most of your questions!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thank you! I was looking at the wrong FAQ, it seems. I've dropped a line to the band, hope they'll be back soon.

OK BUT it is very frustrating to realize that some albums are available on Deezer and not on Spotify. I can give plenty of examples for big artists as well as small ones (Unkle, Adele, ive and sophie) the for which more albums are available on Deezer.

Well I just joined Spotify Premium a moment ago.  The very first album I searched for isn't available.  It's been out since November.  Neil Young with Crazy Horse, the album title is Psychedelic Pill.

I understand that not everything is available, but it doesn't really help when a Spotify Admin simply directs us the FAQ page and says "hopefully it will be part of our Library soon".

Sigh.  I hope this isn't a regular occurrence.  I'm just a bit worried, since my very first search hit a blank, how much other music may be unavailable.

--Gerry

Well.... I had my wallet out ready to pay for premium, but knowing that a good chunk of music I'm looking for isn't available and after reading this thread, I think i'll stick to radio and my local music files.

Even if your explanation that it is down to rights holders removing content holds true in all these cases, it does not solve the deeper issue of content disappearing while people are paying for access to this content. It is great to have a database of thousands of musicians, but if only one or two tracks are available from each of them, there is no point in using Spotify; there are plenty of sampling services.

Either it is a technical issue and it is up to Spotify to repair it, or the rights holders are removing content at will - or at random, if you will -  and it is up to Spotify to negotiate with them to stop this. Without reliable access to entire albums, there is no real reason for people to continue paying for access, or suffering through advertisements (if they cannot pay or do not wish to). It is Spotify's business model and, ultimately, Spotify's livelihood that is at stake here, so either way, it is up to Spotify to resolve the issue!

There are situations such as rights switching to a new owner which can't be controlled really and, I suspect, that this accounts for a significant portion of disappearing music. It would certainly be interesting to get some official, quantitative feedback though.

I think the main problem is spotify giving the same answer all the time, "the one they probably have written down to give", and that is sometimes labels remove rights etc but they should give more specific answers.

For example a lot of Belinda Carlisle's back catalog went missing in the UK recently, if someone had asked about it on here spotify's answer would be the same old one where a better answer would be "demon now have the rights to her back catalog and reissuing her albums at end of August. They actually became avalaible on Monday. i've known about this for about a month.

Ofcause there won't be specific answers for all bands/singers movin content but when there is spotify should give that answer

Paul McCartney - "Ram" (1971)

(its actually credited to Paul & Linda McCartney)

its the only one of his albums that seems to be missing, and its his best.  Its available on both Deezer and Rdio.

Actually it's not Wingspan and All The Best were missing in the UK last time I checked, both on all other UK streaming sites

you're right, there's a few Wings albums missing as well (in Ireland at least)

London Town

Back to the Egg

At the speed of sound

Yes and they are on other streaming sites as well

Hello,

I was referred to the community pages to find out why songs from an artist aren't available; don't play although they are listed. i followed your link but was un able to find an answer. Could you send me some information on this topic?

Best,

Naeem

Where are they listed? What device are you using and what operating system? Are you using the desktop client or the web player? Do you see tracks which are greyed-out and do you get an error message when you try to  play them?

Hi Joe,

I'm on a Windows desktop(Windows 7 professional) at work. I'm using the desktop client software; that's automatically opened when I start the computer. The band called the Quaker City Nighthawks have a few albumns and the tracks are not greyed out. It looks like they're just missing. There's no associated error message from clicking on them. It just doesn't play. About half of the band's songs behave this way.

Thanks,

Naeem

Hey Naeem. It sounds like a problem with the cache on the desktop computer. Have you tried reinstalling spotify following the instructions here?

Thanks, Joe! It works like a charm now. Re-installing Spotify solved the problem.

Best,

Naeem

Suggested posts