Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Missing Music...why?

Solved!

Missing Music...why?

Can someone explain why the following albums have recently gone missing:

Pavement - "Brighten The Corners"

Pavement - "Terror Twilight"

Smashing Pumpkins - "Pisces Iscariot"

Smashing Pumpkins - "Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness"

Smashing Pumpkins - "Adore"

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - "The Tyranny Of Distance"

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - "Hearts Of Oak"

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - "Shake The Sheets"

Is there an ETA for the return of any of these?

Also...Is there any chance that the following will be added soon:

Built To Spill - "There Is Nothing Wrong With Love"

Modest Mouse - "This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About"

Modest Mouse - "The Loneseome Crowded West"

Modest Mouse - "Building Nothing Out Of Something"

Genesis - "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"

Peter Gabriel

Pink Floyd

John Lennon

Your competitors seem to have them...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey,

It's become apparently there some titles have been subject to a technical error and have become temporarily unavailable. While we're currently looking into what titles may be effected, rest assured we're doing everything we can to get them back soon.
Airhorn Enthusiast

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Great job on getting the missing Pavement albums back on Spotify and adding Depeche Mode's "Black Celebration."  Now if we can just get The Lemonheads' "Lovey," The Decemberists' "Five Songs EP" and Ted Leo & The Pharmacists catalog back, I'll be a happy camper.

Also...what happened to Michael Jackson's "Bad" album?

View solution in original post

108 Replies

Is there an admin available who can shed any light on this?

Hi Rimbaud76 - 

The answer to your questions regarding disappearing/ not appearing in our library can be found right here on our FAQ page. 

Hopefully they'll all be a part of our library soon. 

Hey guys,

Take a gander at my Community post I've just created on this.

http://tinyurl.com/78aat3f

I understand the explanation, but in the case of Pavement, all of their albums were released by one record label, Matador.  If it was an issue with the label, why would they have chosen just to remove "Brighten The Corners" and "Terror Twilight" and not "Slanted & Enchanted," "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain," and "Wowee Zowee"?  Not trying to be a bother...just looking for some clarification.  Thanks.

Rorey, I don't think your post or Sam's adequately explains why previously available tracks disappear. Maybe that's because you don't want your users to know the awful truth, which is that rights-holders can at anytime request that any of their content (it could be a whole album, it could be an individual track) be removed. They don't have to give any explanation and they have the ability to do this themselves, via a fully automated process, without involving anyone at Spotify. This is why Spotify reps. cannot give any explanation as to why something has been removed. They just don't know, and the rights-holders don't usually give a reason.

This situation is not unique to Spotify and all other streaming services have implemented something similar to allow for rights-holders to remove content. It's just that most streaming services don't usually explain this situation so explicitly, as having your users know that at anytime absolutely any content can disappear without explanation is not really a good selling point

According to President and Co-Owner of Matador Records, Patrick Amory, there is no reason that Pavement's "Brighten The Corners," "Terror Twilight," and "Quarantine The Past" should not be on Spotify (See e-mail correspondence below --  Mr. Amory's comments are in blue).  So...what's the deal, Spotify? 
Begin forwarded message:

Date: March 19, 2012 12:52:27 PM EDT
To: Patrick Amory <patrick@matadorrecords.com>
Cc: Al Harmon <alharmon@beggars.com>, Simon Wheeler <simonwheeler@beggars.com>, Rupert Skellett <rupertskellett@beggars.com>, Brigitte Green <brigittegreen@beggars.com>
Subject: Re: Pavement & Spotify

Hello.  

A delivery order has been prepared sending missing Pavement titles to Spotify.  

Regards
Edward Edwards
Beggars Group 
304 Hudson Street 7th floor, New York, NY 10013
ph: 646-218-1100 ex 1111 | fx: 212-995-5883
4AD • Matador Records • Rough Trade • XL Recordings

On Mar 19, 2012, at 12:41 PM, Patrick Amory wrote:

Hi Al,
It's Edward Edwards - copying him in. There's no reason why these albums should not be on the service.
PA

On Mar 19, 2012, at 12:12 PM, Al Harmon wrote:

Hi Simon/Rupert/PatrickDo you know who delivers materials to Spotify?    I'm not sure how to research this

Begin forwarded message:

Date: March 19, 2012 12:07:06 PM EDT
Subject: Pavement & Spotify

Brigitte / Al,

I've noticed that a few of Pavement's albums ("Brighten The Corners," "Terror Twilight," and "Quarantine The Past") have recently gone missing from the Spotify streaming service.  Is there a reason that these albums are no longer available and is there an ETA for their return?  The rest of Pavement's catalog remains available so I was just curious why these 3 had been pulled.

Thank you for your time,

-Kevon Wilt

We don't tend to take down music for no real reason. It's difficult to look into all these things by a case by case basis as there's rather a lot of tracks on Spotify but if the label themselves said there's no reason for those tracks not to be here, hopefully they should be back soon. I quite like some Stephen Malkmus.

Airhorn Enthusiast

And now Pavement's "Slanted & Enchanted" has been taken down as well.  Will someone please just explain what's going on?

And now The Lemonheads "Lovey" is gone.  If this is something to do with your re-encoding project, fine...just be honest and say so.  But if it's not, have the decency to explain why music is disappearing at such a rapid rate.

Your business is going to fail if you are not honest with the people (like myself) who are paying $9.99 per month for a service that seems to be losing music as fast as it's adding it.

Figure it out, Spotify...and quickly.

Could it have something to do with Matador's new app.? It seems to have been released/announced around the same time these albums went missing.

@rimbaud76 wrote:

And now The Lemonheads "Lovey" is gone.  If this is something to do with your re-encoding project, fine...just be honest and say so.  But if it's not, have the decency to explain why music is disappearing at such a rapid rate.

Hello.

This shouldn't be related to re-encoding - The tracks should actually remain accessible during that process. 

The best description for why tracks might be disappearing would have been this FAQ post that Meredith linked to earlier. 

In relation to Pavement,  I can actually still find a version of Slanted And Enchanted. Although bare in mind that I'm in the UK - This version appears to have been released by Domino.

Airhorn Enthusiast

Does anyone have any news on the return of Pavement's catalog?  As of right now, only "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" and "Wowee Zowee" are available in the US.  Through e-mail correspondence with folks at Matador, it isn't a content takedown issue and that all of Pavement's albums shoould be available.  So...what's going on?

With the 20th anniversary of the release of "Slanted & Enchanted" coming up tomorow, it sure would be nice to have these albums back...

Marked as solution

Hey,

It's become apparently there some titles have been subject to a technical error and have become temporarily unavailable. While we're currently looking into what titles may be effected, rest assured we're doing everything we can to get them back soon.
Airhorn Enthusiast
Marked as solution

Great job on getting the missing Pavement albums back on Spotify and adding Depeche Mode's "Black Celebration."  Now if we can just get The Lemonheads' "Lovey," The Decemberists' "Five Songs EP" and Ted Leo & The Pharmacists catalog back, I'll be a happy camper.

Also...what happened to Michael Jackson's "Bad" album?

At the request of the Michael Jackson estate the album BAD has been temporarily removed from all streaming services in the United States.  All other Michael Jackson tracks remain available.

the Peter Gabriel: Scratch My Back Album is still missing.

All of Afro Celt Sound System's albums have disappeared.  Please bring them back.

Unkle Album 'Never, Never Land' not available on Spotify 😞

One of my favorite albums has gone missing. Tortured Soul - Introducing Tortured Soul (2007)

PLS. Try to get it back online. 

Suggested posts