Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

ORGANIZING ALBUMS AND ARTISTS WITH FOLDERS

ORGANIZING ALBUMS AND ARTISTS WITH FOLDERS

I think it would be extremly helpfull to also have the option to make folders in your albums and artists. This option is now only available for playlists. Making it necesary to make a playlist for each album if you want to organize them. 

There should be an option to make folders in your albums overview, and your artists overview to make organizing your music a quick and easy tasks. 

11 Replies

Totally agreed!  "Playlists" are almost useless for my listening needs.  I want to, for example, have a folder of albums by Django Reinhart, or Bach or Sigur Ros. Or an album of top favorite *albums.*  

Without this, it takes many clicks, much typing and a lot of patience to drill down to the content you want to hear.  

Hi @Spot__On,

Thanks for reaching out about this!

What we'd recommend is using the sorting filter to find the artists/albums you'd like to hear easier.

Spotify constantly strives to improve the user experience with its features and the easiest way to achieve this is by regular app updates. That’s why we appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestion with the Community. 

If you think other users might also like this idea to be able to sort albums and artists into folders, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented :slightly_smiling_face: 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

sorting is entirely unhelpful and in no way the same thing as folders. 

it would be very helpful to be able to put albums and artists into folders.

please add this functionality. 

I, too, would very much like to have the option of organising my artists and albums into folders.

Also, and this has been discussed many times over, the option to sort albums per artist in reverse chronological order.

Dear Ovidescu,

If you are very much desiring this option of making folders for albums, just as I do,**bleep**.

I would like to start a marketing campaign in order to achieve this option.

Best regards, Dave

Albums is my place to go in my library when I want to listen to something. And it would be most helpful if I could organize my saved albums in custom folders, e.g. "chill out", "classical", "jazz", "progressive" etc etc. That would really boost my spotify experience. As it is now, I hesitate to save many albums in my library because then it is hard to navigate among many disparate genres/styles. When I'm in a classical mood, it would be great to be able to pick among only such albums of my library, instead of browsing through all of them. Please add this feature!

Hey @Dionysis,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

We appreciate your feedback regarding this function for albums folders. However, a similar idea has already been suggested here - If you want to show your support, feel free to add your vote to it by hitting the "Thumbs up" button! We'd also recommend taking a look at its Status for more info. Any relevant updates about this will be posted there.

If you think your idea should be considered as separate, feel free to submit it again highlighting how your idea is distinct from the existing one.

Cheers!

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I saw that the idea originally presented is now marked as 'case closed' due to not meeting the threshold to be taken forward (see here), which is a real shame as I think it would be a fantastic feature, and one I feel many people would value - I've resubmitted it as an idea here so let's get advocating for this and get the 500+ votes needed for Spotify to reconsider...!!!

Yeah I would like to add my vote to having a way to organize Artists and Albums. Having the album copied as playlist is really just annoying and cumbersome. If you copy an album to a directory it will automatically create a playlist of that album, and if you forget to make the newly created playlist private it adds clutter to all user searches. 
Seriously, this cannot be that hard to implement and it would be very helpful. Not everybody listens to music the same way. In my case, I have both music I listen to and music I use for DnD games. I need these music organized differently. 

I would understand Spotify resistance to implementing this change if it was an entirely new thing, but file organization is pretty straightforward.

Spotify must have a significant understanding of genres. Hence their excellent ability to understand their listener and to identify new interesting music.. But that is where their ability ends. As a result they are nothing but a glorified radio station. Radio stations are still classified this way; Classical, Country, Pop, Alternative Jazz, etc. I listen to all types of music, and when I am determining what I want to hear, it is not my mood I am thinking about, it is what type of music I want, i.e. genre, artist

If you go to a real book library (that’s where the word library comes from) that has hundreds of thousands of books, you will note the sort on the shelves by genre, author, book title, chapters. When there were music stores (before music streaming) they were similarly sorted by genre, artist.

When I used iTunes, they had a basic upfront sort in 3 categories; genre, artist, album. In seconds I could browse through hundred of albums. I didn’t need to have memorized everything in my collection; by a quick scan there was instant recall of everything recorded over many decades.

My current Spotify collection has many hundreds of albums.. Not only is the use of playlists folders cumbersome, but the app itself has become severely limited in its ability to work timely. It just can’t handle a large amount of data.

Much of this could probably be alleviated if they would just allow albums to be stored and grouped in folders, without converting them to playlists. When I only need background music then a radio format is okay. But most serious listeners still listen to albums. And if you have hundreds or thousands of albums identified, then Spotify just doesn’t work.

I like to listen to albums. I’d like to arrange albums by artist instead of alphabetically by name of album which does not make sense at all. So cumbersome to look through all albums just to find one I want and in no specific logical order. No one remembers all album titles 

Suggested posts