Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play current song on desktop app and webplayer

Solved!

Can't play current song on desktop app and webplayer

Plan

Premium

Country

uk

Device

Desktop pc

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

No idea why the previous time posting this is got marked as fixed Link , its not its now worse.

Music will play for anywhere from 5 seconds to 20 or not at all and just stop and come up with "can't play current song". The only time I can get anything to play is with a VPN and I connect to anywhere else, I am with Virgin media and other people that have had issues seem to be from the uk with virgin media also.

I have tried everything, re-installing, logging out and back in, tried re-installing browsers for the webplayer, changing passwords this has been on going for a month now.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Turned out my problem was with Cloudflare dns once I had switched to google dns or VM dns everything was back to normal.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

just copy and pasting from the previous post before a mod comes in and asks the same question for the 10th time

• Device + OS version
    windows 10 on personal desktop pc
  • Browser + Version
    Chrome 64bit Version 89.0.4389.114 Firefox 87.0 (64-bit)
  • Does it happen on newest versions of Edge or Firefox?
    yes
  • In case the firewall is enabled, does the issue persist after disabling it?
    Tried both still stops
  • Unload any extensions or Add-Ons, including ad-blockers. Are there any changes?
    no adblockers, no extensions no add ons no changes
  • Do you use a VPN or a Proxy
    I do not use a VPN or Proxy
  • We saw a work laptop being mentioned, are the network and browser settings managed by a different administrator or a company policy?
    personal pc
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried so far
    everything, (reset spotify after all these steps) cleared cache, changed muisc quality to every setting inc auto, changed crossfade, changed my password, cleared all devices attached to spotify, logged out of all devices, completly deleted everything and fresh download and re-install, tried deleteing and re-installing browsers

Just to add my voice to this issue. I'm seeing this on Windows 10 (desktop, latest version), web player (latest Firefox and Edge) and on web with Firefox v86 on Linux.

Spotify Connect to a Denon AV and the Spotty plugin for Squeezebox seem to be unaffected. SC from a phone to the desktop client does not work.

However, both desktop and web player DO appear to work when being routed over a VPN.

I've also been through the various troubleshooting steps (including logging out and a clean reinstall) to no effect.

I'm in the UK with Virgin Media as my ISP.

Edit: The Android app seems to work as well.

I am with Virgin Media as well, I can not get anything to play for more than 10 seconds before "can't play current song" the odd things my phone will play just fine and thats connected to the same connection. This is a recent thing for me, which I had put down to an update but I have seen more and more people with the same problem who are with VM as well. So is it a spotify or a VM problem? All I know is it is annoying as all **bleep**.

Hey folks,

Thanks for taking the time to open another thread, we appreciate it.

What we can do on our end is to pass this info on to the Networking teams, however we strongly recommend getting in touch with your ISP to report this. It does sound like there're some routing or networking issues using this ISP and the team at Virgin will be best equipped to address this.

If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

So after nearly a month of paying you for not being able to listen to music I now have to pay to ring up my internet service provider to ask them to sort this out?

I know exactly how that phone call will go, they will just say its not their problem its your's and ill be back on here with the exact same issue. So how can we get someone at spotify to actually do something about something they have changed, because I doubt that virgin media have suddenly blocked you guys.

Why are the mods on this not helpful in the slightest you just say its our fault (when it clearly isn't) and try and blame everyone else rather than actually do something about it?

I have already contacted VM and they say its a problem on spotify's end, so its gone exactly as you say it has. Our subs we pay for and currently don't get use of is one big game of hot potato and no one wants to catch it. This is just not good enough. Some one from Spotify needs to contact Virgin Media to get answers if it is indeed them that have the problem, it will be better from you than it would be from us.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We understand that being forwarded to another party could lead to a bounce-back. Trust us, we see it all the time with our CS team.

We will raise awareness about it with the right teams that can take a closer look. This is what we can do as moderators on our Community.

From our end though, we can also confirm we have not suddenly blocked any Virgin Media users to access our service. So it is not about us blaming anyone or saying someone is at fault, rather, from the available data and the fact that only Virgin customers are experiencing this, it seems likely that this should be investigated on that end to in turn have a better chance on resolving it.

We'll forward this and keep you posted, but to reiterate: We really don't have much more influence on this than you folks.

Stay tuned!

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

By any chance are you using a different DNS than VM own?

still not working

Marked as solution

Turned out my problem was with Cloudflare dns once I had switched to google dns or VM dns everything was back to normal.

Can confirm that changing the DNS server address from cloudflare (1.1.1.1) to googles 8.8.8.8 worked.

Thanks for figuring that out when spotify couldn't help.

Suggested posts