Premium

Country

United states

Device

Desktop (pc)

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Recently I've been looking through my D drive and I see a bunch of 2 digit folders some containing nothing others containing a file that is named gibberish. Upon further search I learned that it was created by spotify and that it was a cashe file. Looking on reddit and such people have told me that you can change the location of the cache file. But my spotify app I got off the microsoft store doesn't have that option. 

as shown.PNG
7 Replies

Hey there @Nigmo,

thanks for posting !

Have you tried the steps provided on this help page ?

Let me know and we'll move forward 😃

You can't change the cache location with Spotify's settings, even if you're supposed to be able to, it just doesn't work, and they don't care about fixing it.

You need to use command line to create "symbolic links" from the directory it's actually using for cache, to the directory you're trying to use for cache. Yes, you literally need to alter the operating system to accomplish what's supposed to be a feature of the app. That's how bad this app ahs become. Oh.... and it's been that way for around 10 years now.

This is just unbelievable! Actually the settings allow you to change "Offline songs Storage" which is different from Cached songs (I guess).
Got 8gb of cached songs and can't move them to my big disk.... what a shame.

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Currently it's not possible to change the Cache folder location on Desktop. You should be able to change the location where downloaded songs are stored from the app settings though. If you cannot see this option in the Advanced Settings > Offline songs storage, we recommend you perform a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this article. Make sure to download the app from our website. You can check this thread for more info on how to clear your Local files folder if it's taking up too much drive space.

If you would like to see the option to change the Cache folder location in the future, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Have a great day!

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This, or an option to clear the cache, is urgently needed.

Hey @Longoon,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

We appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback here. Spotify always aims to improve the experience of users, as well as the functionalities of the app's features. To get your ideas into consideration, you can follow the suggestions given earlier by @Alex. You'll also find all the relevant info about our Idea Exchange and how the Community feedback gets implemented here if you'd like to know more about the topic.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I ran into severe technical issues on my windows installation and had to use a third party app to scan my system drive to see what is actually taking up all this space. Spotify used up 10 GB with it's Cache in Appdata, of course the offline storage folder setting is completely irrelevant.

This is absolutely unacceptable for a service this expensive.

Suggested posts