Free

Country

USA

Device

Chromebook

Operating System

Chrome OS

My Question or Issue

My song will play regularly, but stops at 9 seconds, pauses for like 5 seconds, then plays again. I've tried signing out, restarting my computer, even using a whole other browser.

48 Replies

Marianne, sorry you are still have the the Spotify hiccup problem. I am
also 60, so much of the techno stuff is beyond me. But I did find
accessing Crosh was very easy, just a little typing. Google Play store
will easily install Android apps for free, and yes, you CAN remove them. I
haven't had any problem when I removed others. I found a lot of useful
Android apps and use them frequently, especially sound equalizers. Maybe
there is someone you know (a youngster?) whom you can consult to help you.
Terry

Plan

Family

Country

UK

Device

Acer Chromebook 14 CB3-431

Operating System

Chrome OS Version 76.0.3809.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)

My Issue

Playlists start normally but randomly pause at different intervals for various lengths of time, usually for seconds at a time but on the odd occasion, just won't come back on at all. Have cleared history, can't use another browser since it's a Chromebook, rebooted the machine, still happens.  

Hello,
Sorry you are having the interruption issue with Spotify. If your
Chromebook can run Android apps, (many of the newer Chromebooks can run
Android) you could try installing the Spotify Android app from Google Play
Store. That worked for me--I run Spotify 24/7 with no issues at all. I
had previously tried all the suggested remedies, clearing the cache,
signing out and restarting, etc. to no avail. The Android app works well
and I think it sounds better. * (I'm an audio engineer.)*
Terry

Cheers for your reply, @terrydpirate, I didn't even see that there was previous replies to the original post.
Doesn't make for great experience not seeing what was said before.
While I'mnNot a fan of the Google Play inclusion on Chrome OS, mainly due the fact that the apps are optimised for mobile devices than a 14" laptop, I've reinstalled the Spotify app.
Oddly enough, Spotify now thinks my Nokia 7.1 is a tablet? I use the phone as a remote, makes it easier to skip tunes while looking for new tunes to download and also stream. 

Hi all,

I have the same problem, but on phone. I am using Samsung Galaxy Note 9 with the latest android update. My Spotify version is also the latest version. Usually I am using Spotify with mobile network and I always have 4G internet connection (It cannot be a network issue, because I have been using spotify for more than a year via mobile network). It is randomly stop the songs, however the "Pause" button still visible (not the "Play " button), so the application knows that its currently playing a song (but it does not emmit any sound). This issue is still exist when I am listening to music via bluetooth headset or without any plugged equipement. I did not want to delete the application beacause I think If a software does not work properly than the solution cannot be the reinstall of the application. But now I am going to reinstall the application and I will share my experiences, but If a bug once come up to the ground It will also come up in the future.

Best regards,
Máté Farkas

Hey folks,

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.

We’ve passed your info on to the relevant team, who are currently looking into it.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to click + VOTE.

Could you make sure to provide us with the following info, if you haven’t already:

• Chromebook model + OS version
  • Does downloading the Android app from the Google Play Store work?

Thanks! We’ll keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

Using an Acer Chromebook & have the same issue:  All songs on all playlists pause briefly at the 10-second mark.  This happened for a while a few months ago, resolved on its own & then started back up a couple days ago.  Which is annoying since I just signed up for Premium for the first time.  

When I say they "pause," I mean they just shut off & then there's dead silence for a few seconds before picking up where they left off.  It's at the 10-second mark every time.  Recently cleared my cache, rebooted & no change.  

I don't have a different device or phone so switching is not an option.  Thanks~

Hey @Tha_Equalizer,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Have you tried to troubleshoot your network?

If possible, could you try a different network connection to see if it makes a difference?

Keep us posted 🙂

Dell chromebook. Chrome OS Version 77.0.3865.77 (Official Build) beta (64-bit).

Hi @Peter my whole grade is having this problem. They are school computers so the app from google play is blocked. Computer: HP Chromebook 11 G4, Operating system: Version 76.0.3809.136 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Hi @jheeres24, your school authorities should have an internal chromebook support team to report this issue with, as given that they're school machines, the policies set will be hugely different to standard chromebooks that the general public uses. 

Hi @docr2k3, I appreciate your help but this is a Spotify problem not my school so my school cannot fix this but Spotify can. The school could not care less about us using Spotify.

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks for your reports on this.

We've spoken to the relevant team, and we've concluded that this is an issue which is specific to users' individual networks.

As a result, we suggest you reach out to your network manager and ask them to look into this further on their end.

Make sure to check out this Spotify Answer which answers some frequently asked questions about using Spotify on a Chromebook.

If you're experiencing any issues or have any further questions, make sure to start a thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks again!

Hi @Peter

I understand why you would say that but then why when I play Spotify on an iPhone it never stops but when I play it on a Chromebook it stops at 9 seconds. It is connected to the same network.

I have been experiencing this problem as well. Any and every track I play on the web version on my Chromebook will pause at 9 seconds then resume play a few seconds later. This began recently, only happens on my Chromebook, and happens no matter which wifi network I am logged in to. 

I never experience this when listening through the Android app on my phone or when I listen through the desktop version on my work PC. It is only and constantly my Chromebook. 

There are 34 posts here talking about songs stopping at 9 seconds on Chrome OS, and the solution is to say it's everybody's network and mark it as solved? That's insane.

Same boat here. Plays fine on the SAME NETWORK here on my other devices. Just the web player on Chrome OS stops at EXACTLY 9 seconds. I can play the same songs on the same account on the same network but using my phone app and I experience these pauses zero times.

For people in here, I made a new post here that they hopefully don't prematurely close again: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Songs-stop-for-about-5-seconds-9-seco...

I was totally frustrated with the 9 second stutter on Spotify Then I
installed the Android version on my Chromebook (from Google Play Store),
and it worked perfectly. Also I think it sounds slightly better, even with
highest quality playback selected. Many newer Chromebooks can run Android
apps, so possibly a solution for you?

Thanks, but the Android version is much less feature rich for me than the Web player.  I am now forced to use it, but I am astonished that a service I pay for cant fix a basic bug like this affecting virtually every Chromebook user...

I have the same problem for a while now. Finally start Googling for a solution and yes, a zillion million topics about the 9 seconds glitch, but where is the soltution??? I hope it will show up on this post one day. Please please Spotify get on top of this, many thnx in advance

🙂

Suggested posts