Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Crash on startup

Crash on startup

After today' update, spotify crashes on startup (specifically right after login).

Steps to reproduce

1. open spotify

Windows 7, 64-bit, premium account, already tried all the re-installation troubleshooting. Works fine on my android phone.

11 Replies

I have the same problem. But I am using windows 10 64 bits. The actualization started the problem. The version of spotify is: 1.0.44.100.ga60c0ce1

Forgot to mention the version, but same one (1.0.44.100.ga60c0ce1)

Hello! Have you been able to open it in the past hours since you posted? Maybe Hardware Acceleration is the problem? Do you try running it with every other program closed? How much RAM do you have?

I tried a lot of times. Have 8gb of RAM.

I am having the same issue with the iPad version and the iPhone version. I have found that I can have it stay open if I take it off-line. But the second he goes online the program crashes

Ok, I am sorry to hear about this ongoing issue. Does Spotify show a black window before crashing? If it does, please try one of the three methods below: 

Method 1 - Compatibility Settings

1. Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Spotify
  2. Right click your Spotify.exe and go to properties.
  3. Click on Compatibility tab.
  4. Make sure the option "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" is disabled.
  5. If it is disabled, try enabling "Run this program as an administrator" and see what happens. If nothing is changed, return to normal settings.
  6. Verify with the same procedure if SpotifyLauncher.exe has the same issue

Method 2 - GPU

In this case, you have to verify that you have the latest drivers for your graphics card. Depending on your GPU it can either be Nvidia GeForce Experience (or its' Nvidia equivalent software), AMD Catalyst or any other program of your graphics card.

Method 3 - Start Spotify with command (Thanks Peter!)

1. Press Start.
  2. Type "Run" (without quotation marks) and hit Enter.
  3. As long as the Spotify directory hasn't been changed, copy and paste this command: 
    %APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background
  4. Press OK. Now Spotify should launch.

Please try all three methods before responding. We need to ensure if any of those are causing the issue!

Good luck!

@Mgriego wrote:

I am having the same issue with the iPad version and the iPhone version. I have found that I can have it stay open if I take it off-line. But the second he goes online the program crashes

This is not an iPhone/iPad/MacOS forum. This is for Windows/Linux/WebPlayer users. Please post your issue in the forum that it belongs so experienced users in the area can assist you. I am sorry mate but I can't help you because I don't have knowledge about the iOS-Spotify situation.

Still no fix, I've tried the suggested workarounds except for running as administrator as this is a work machine.

Spotify worked great until this update, you guys failed to test your software properly.

Please fix it or I'm dropping it.

Run as admin worked here, but that is not an acceptable solution. It started just fine before I upgraded.

In addition to my previous post, while none of the above methods worked for me. It does show a black screen before crashing.

Suggested posts