Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disk usage?

Disk usage?

Whenever I use spotify it seems to use at least 80% of my disk. It get's quite annoying when I am playing a game, or trying to do anything on my own computer. It's a music application, not a music downloading/saving/writing on your disk application. As I do not have premium, it shouldn't save any songs, or save anything to my disk. As I listen to the same songs, never listen to anything new (I grant YouTube that permission).

But seriously, why do you take up all my disk?

5 Replies

I have the same problem, but it's up to 100%. It's annoying because it causes crashing. I've tried reinstalled the app but nothing happened. I don't know if it's my sound driver.

Hey @DavidBautista and @WyrmSlayer1337

That's really weird, to be honest!

Could you fire up Resource Monitor and open the Disk tab, and then attempt to run Spotify, and then post a screenshot of this here? This program shows what services/processes use up the resources the most.

I do recommend going to Spotify - Preferences, and turn off the local files. Fetching and analysing local files may cause long disk queues and possibly crashing, especially when there's a lot to fetch.

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for your answer. It's weird cause when I first open the app in my Windows (when I turn it on) it consumes lots of hard drive. But now, it's not taking any. I don't think Spotify is causing a problem anymore... But I do think it takes lots of resources when I first open it. I don't know how to explain. On the other hand, where's the exact route to deactive the fletching of local files? I'm using Spotify now and the disk usage is 1 %... 

@DavidBautista

Spotify is a pretty large program. Like any other program this size, when opened, a lot of hard drive traffic will happen when reading program data into memory.
Windows has some interesting methods for storing some previously opened program data somewhere in the faster memory (Superfetch does something like this), so when you reopen the program you used at an earlier point during the session, it will appear faster. However, Windows will clear its cache everytime the computer is restarted or put to sleep.

To remove local files from Spotify:

1. Click in the top-right corner of the app and select Settings.
2. Scroll down to Local Files.
3. Any files in My Music, Downloads, and iTunes folders are automatically selected.

4. Switch off any sources you don't want Spotify to access.
This should keep Spotify off your local music library. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Turning off local files worked for me. Thanks! 🙂

Suggested posts