Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Duplicate tracks in library

Solved!

Duplicate tracks in library

Hey, I have an odd issue. In my library, some of the tracks are duplicated. However, one can see from this picture that both versions of each track are present locally. When I right-click and tell it to show the file in windows explorer, it opens to the same file for both versions of a track.

Is there any way to get Spotify to realize that these are, in fact, the same tracks? It really should already know that, considering that each version is linked to the same local file.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I believe that both versions played.

The duplicates have now disappeared, though. No idea what fixed it.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

That is definitely a strange one!

Do you have more than 1 source for local files selected in Edit > Preferences > Local Files which might be causing them to be imported twice?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Nope. The only source is iTunes.

@Bromista wrote:

Nope. The only source is iTunes.

If you right click on the duplicate tracks in Spotify, and select "Open Containing Folder" are there two copies of each track in that folder?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

There is only one file for each song in the folder.

Do these duplicate songs play? Or fail to play?

Marked as solution

I believe that both versions played.

The duplicates have now disappeared, though. No idea what fixed it.

Oh, well that's great news!

Peter, I am having the same problem. All of the sudden ALL of my library has dupes and when I go the the folder containing the first one it goes to the track in the "replay" program file and there is only one. When I clicked on the second one it just takes me to "Laptop"-the main file under "user". When I try to play the second one(s) from the library they do not play. Do you know how to fix? I did the recent update after I found the issue hoping it would fix it, but it didn't.

Are you using Network Magic from Cisco?

Thanks for the response, No I am not. I ended up searching the community and found the answer. I had both WMP and Windows Music Library boxes ticked in the "Preferences" tab. I unchecked the WMP and it solved the problem. Thanks again!

Wow, I'd not even thought of that, but the Network Magic issue is similar.  It will sometimes show two copies of shared folders in Windows Explorer.  Glad you got it straightened out.

Suggested posts