Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

File is in an unsupported format...

Solved!

File is in an unsupported format...

I have been trying to listen to Linkin Parks Minutes to Midnight album, however it keeps bringing up the 'file is in an unsupported format' error. Its not a local file so im not sure why this is the case. All other albums appear to be working. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Actually, going through this exercise has caused me to figure out the problem. I have a cached iTunes library hidden away on my Windows computer - I don't have iTunes music program installed, and I haven't used it in years, but it's still there in the bowels of my file folders, and Spotify found it somehow, despite it not being an option in my "Local Files" preferences. I unchecked all Local Files locations in the preferences (Windows Media Player, Downloads, Windows Music Library), and the problem vanished.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hey! Can you try the steps here for us? They should help with this: https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify/.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Hi, I have the same message coming up on tracks that are on spotify. I've looked through your link and nothing corresponds to the message apart from local files which they are not.

Options?

I'm having the same problem. 

Uninstalled and re-installed. There are still a bunch of songs that won't play due to being unsupported format, but they're not local files. I don't have any music on my laptop - I only listen to spotify. 

What gives?

I am also having the same problem. I'm running Windows 8.1 64 bit, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify endless times including this morning (version 0.915.27.G87EFE634) , and I'm still getting the message. The tracks I'm trying to play are not local files, they're just Spotify's own music, but I keep getting the "File Not Supported" error message. Any idea what's causing this?

I'll add that those very files will play if I add them to a playlist and stream them on my 8.1 Windows phone - it's just my desktop and laptop (both running 8.1) that give the "file format unsupported" error message.

Hello: @Orphos

Can you provide your listening location and maybe a couple of links to some of those spotify content tracks where you get that error showing up?

Marked as solution

Actually, going through this exercise has caused me to figure out the problem. I have a cached iTunes library hidden away on my Windows computer - I don't have iTunes music program installed, and I haven't used it in years, but it's still there in the bowels of my file folders, and Spotify found it somehow, despite it not being an option in my "Local Files" preferences. I unchecked all Local Files locations in the preferences (Windows Media Player, Downloads, Windows Music Library), and the problem vanished.

Fantastic. Yeah I do not add music folder resources either. For one I have duplicate music files already on the spotify service I use first, and second dragging and dropping local files gives better quicker adjustment to local files, as the spotify app auto links anything it finds in the service based on your music file tags. Sometimes this works well other times it ties the local file to something totally different like a fanzy band or something doing a cover of the original song you have. Unlinking the local music files is quicker this way rather than going through 3k of local music files from a total system music scan for everything, and checking all of it, and seeing what is correct and what it messed up. But glad you figured it out. Blaze away with the tunes maaaan!!!!.

Do you have the steps to this?  I'm not sure where to find my preferences and have been trying to solve this for over an hour now. 

Suggested posts