Premium Family

Country

Australia

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

So I've only just discovered the fullscreen option recently and this has become how I like to listen to Spotify now as I was able to throw it up on my second monitor and just see what song is currently playing and the media control. Like so

nfbyrne_0-1629373778325.png

But just now I've gone fullscreen and after a couple seconds all of this just fades away to show just a background image. If I move my mouse it all comes back. I'd like to be able to see all this info just there without having to do anything.

nfbyrne_1-1629373812081.png

53 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Windows 10 PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

In full screen mode, the artist artwork shows up but the title of the song and the artist/album are hidden after a couple seconds and dont show up until you move the mouse. The titles used to display all the time, so something in a recent update caused this bug.

Same here, really annoying. Hope this get fixed in an update soon.

@Jeremy - Has there been any movement on this? I'm confused why the accepted solution is to request a new "feature". The "feature" was already in the product, the change after the 7/22/21 version of Spotify seems to very clearly be a bug. Can you clarify whether this was an intentional or unintentional change? If unintentional why are we all voting for a "new feature" to bring back this basic, old functionality?

Hey mate, I'm not the Spotify Admin but I am the OP. I set the accepted solution as the comments with requests to revert to the original as it seems that the people over at Spotify don't particularly care about this issue. They told us that the change was an intentional change, just one that no one like and many people including myself mistook for a bug because it was that bad. The only suggestion was to vote for it to be put back in so Spotify can measure how many people they made unhappy with the change and see if it is worth their effort.

I'm willing to bet Spotify made this change to try and "fix" some internal engagement metric.
"Let's spend resources to mess up the listener experience and see how much noise they make, our usage metrics/data are more important than user frustration. Also, if those who are frustrated aren't bothered to come and engage on our community platform then they don't matter." 

Hey Jeremy,

why did you remove such a nice feature? Destroying something this useful is NEVER a good idea, and everyone agrees with this. I can understand making it a toggle, but not removing it completely. Bring that back.

The distribution must look something like this:

- Do you want to see the song info at all times when fullscreen is enabled?
· Yes: 97%
· No: 3%

Yet they chose to disable that. It's so infuriating.

I am starting to wonder if it is some weird commercial decision. Like maybe they don't have to pay some fee if they don't show the song name and title in fullscreen mode? It is the most bizarre UI decision for a long time. Completely unnecessary and easy to fix and they're sticking to it making themselves look foolish. Money usually drives such odd decisions.

Speaking as a web developer, it seems like a bug to me. In the old version, after a couple seconds of no mouse movement, the play bar, pause, rewind and fast forward controls would all fade away but the title and artist would still show. Now in this current version everything fades away leaving only the album art. I don't think this is an intentional decision, it would serve no purpose. Its probably one line of code that someone overlooked and just needs to be reverted. The problem IMO seems to be a disconnect between the support team here and the development team. Its an unacceptable level of support to let bugs like this sit with vague responses for as long as this has, especially for a 44 Billion Dollar company. 

But the support team, in this thread, said they "checked backstage" and it is by design. Unless the support team couldn't be bothered and said they did, or they talked to someone backstage who didn't know what they were talking about and just wanted to close the query quickly.
I still can't help but wonder if marketing stumbled across this they would be like "uh why is our product failing to show the free advertising of our own product, on itself, in fullscreen on TVs and monitors all over the world?"
Devs: *shrug*
Support: *closes ticket*

Hi folks,

Thanks for your posts and feedback.

As previously mentioned, this is expected behavior of the current client release. 

If you have any ideas on how to make the app better and think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work. We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.

@casewindow, as Community moderators, we have access only to official information released by Spotify. We help the developer teams by gathering user feedback regarding app issues and developments. We've reached out to the developer teams and have been informed that this is not an issue with the app, but a designed feature.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Reminder to others, voting location here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Other-Let-us-choose-to-pin-or-don-t-the-song-det...

according to the 'ideas exchange guidelines' ( https://community.spotify.com/t5/FAQs/Idea-Exchange-Guidelines-How-does-my-feedback-reach-Spotify/ta...

Live Idea 

Ideas that have gathered 180 +Votes in under 6 months get this status and they are brought to the attention of the Spotify team.

so hopefully looked at soon as we are already at 228 at time of writing since opening on 2021-08-23 🙂

more votes the better though! and hopefully we'll get a toggle to remove this 'feature' 😄

What I honestly do not understand... In cases like these, why isn't a feature treated as an OPTION (for example, in Preferences) rather than an imposition? Developers would save a lot of time in this way.

Marked as solution

Hey everyone! 

Coming to this thread with an update on this. As mentioned in the Idea thread this functionality should be back now!

We appreciate your comments and support for the idea. If you're not able to see the title and artist you can post a new thread in our Help boards and we'll do our best to help out.

Have a lovely day!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts