Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files not playing at all

Solved!

Local files not playing at all

Since a few weeks ago my local files haven't been working at all (.mp3-files) if play the files with another player they work but when I add them to spotify playlist, nothing at all happens when i click on it. It doesn't show any error nor even trying to play the song. It just stops at 0:00 and is not moving.

This happens as well when I'm listning on a playlist with streamed songs and a local files comes up, it just stops at the local file and nothing happens and everything went quiet.

On my mobile devices everything works perfectly.

I have a premium account and are running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium, I also have the latest spotify version: 0.8.2.572.geb65f9ac

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Christer

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey guys,

Sorry to hear you're having problems playing your local files - this isn't something we see very often. Let's try and get it sorted asap.

Is everyone having this problem a Windows 7 user? I'd just like to narrow down the circumstances in which the problem occurs.

As for things to try, downloading Quicktime would work for .m4a files as jjs6791 says above, but might not be much help for .mp3s.

You could also try downloading a new codec but really you shouldn't have to. Are the files stored anywhere that Spotify might have trouble finding, like an external hard drive or anything like that?

In the meantime I'll ask around for any known issues - let me know how you all get on.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Similar problem here on an "up-to-date" Windows XP (Home edition) system, but it only seems to affect AAC/M4A files. This is quite puzzling as I am almost certain these were working fine a couple of days ago. 

Installing Apple Quicktime 7 and re-launching Spotify fixed this issue for me.

iTunes (version 10.6.1.7) was already installed on the system.

UPDATE: I believe I may have had the issue with MP3 files as well. I had tried to play a number of local songs by random and all of them failed. Checking the forum, I saw the MP3 codecs mentioned above and installed them. That, however, did not seem to change anything. Then I noticed that the files I was trying to play were actually M4A files. So, I can now not be sure whether installing the MP3 codecs fixed the MP3 problem, as I can't be sure I was trying to play MP3 files in the first place, prior to installing the MP3 codecs.  In any case: with both the MP3 codecs and Quicktime in place, all formats seem to be working again.

View solution in original post

27 Replies

Are you sure they are mp3 files? I just had the same thing with files I bought from itunes (m4a). I had to download quicktime

"Rolling In The Deep (Adele Cover).mp3" - playable with everything else except spotify.

Also I have quicktime installed.

I have the same problem.  They all worked before, but suddenly stopped.  I'm not on the Premium version, but have the same result.

Same problem here... + I can only stream songs if I do NOT have them available locally.

Premium version here. It has happened for a few days now.

Looks like more people are having this issue... can someone from Spotify support or development team maybe pick the issue up?

Would be great if I could get some feedback from the company itself about the issue.

Thanks!

Marked as solution

Hey guys,

Sorry to hear you're having problems playing your local files - this isn't something we see very often. Let's try and get it sorted asap.

Is everyone having this problem a Windows 7 user? I'd just like to narrow down the circumstances in which the problem occurs.

As for things to try, downloading Quicktime would work for .m4a files as jjs6791 says above, but might not be much help for .mp3s.

You could also try downloading a new codec but really you shouldn't have to. Are the files stored anywhere that Spotify might have trouble finding, like an external hard drive or anything like that?

In the meantime I'll ask around for any known issues - let me know how you all get on.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

I'm using Windows 7 on one computer and the new Windows 8 Consumer Preview on another -- both are having the same issues.

My details:

- I'm using Windows 7 x64.
- All songs are MP3.
- Songs are on the same hard drive, I haven't moved them since last version (when I could play them with Spotify).
- Haven't changed any codecs at all. Spotify was able to play the local songs perfectly before the latest update (the one with the crossfade between songs) and all other music players (iTunes, Windows Media Player, Winamp).

Now I cannot even stream these songs from Spotify. Example: If I'm online and I want to stream "The Cranberries - Zombie", Spotify will only allow me to do so IF I don't have that same song among my local files. If I deactivate local files, the I can stream the song normally.

I meant that all other media players can play these songs with no problems. I haven't installed any other media player since Spotify was installed for the first time (no other software is messing around with the codecs)

Ok, it looks like there's a few people experiencing similar problems now. So I'll investigate further and keep you updated with any progress.

Someone in a different thread said that all it takes is a Quicktime update.  I tried this, and it worked for me.  Hopefully this works for other people too!

hello everyone,

i am also having this same problem as well. like stated earlier, prior to one of the recent spotify updates my local files have stopped working.

i had tried plenty of solutions to get working but found no luck. the most recent update i heard was to update  quicktime, i  didnt have quicktime installed, but tried that and that hasnt worked either.

what surprises me is that i have spotify on two computers, and the other computer plays local files just fine.

i tried reinstalled, removing all local files and readding, and even using different accounts. none have been sucessful.

@Richard wrote:

Hey guys,

I tried install the above codec... and reboot spotify then my local files works again! Thanks for that!

Installing the codecs as linked by Richard (solution) and restarting Spotify fixed it for me!

Windows Vista x64

Music on external hard drive.

Marked as solution

Similar problem here on an "up-to-date" Windows XP (Home edition) system, but it only seems to affect AAC/M4A files. This is quite puzzling as I am almost certain these were working fine a couple of days ago. 

Installing Apple Quicktime 7 and re-launching Spotify fixed this issue for me.

iTunes (version 10.6.1.7) was already installed on the system.

UPDATE: I believe I may have had the issue with MP3 files as well. I had tried to play a number of local songs by random and all of them failed. Checking the forum, I saw the MP3 codecs mentioned above and installed them. That, however, did not seem to change anything. Then I noticed that the files I was trying to play were actually M4A files. So, I can now not be sure whether installing the MP3 codecs fixed the MP3 problem, as I can't be sure I was trying to play MP3 files in the first place, prior to installing the MP3 codecs.  In any case: with both the MP3 codecs and Quicktime in place, all formats seem to be working again.

Installed the codecs that Richard gave and restarted Spotify... fixed!!

Using Windows 7 x64

Music in local harddrive

I noticed the problem started after i did a manual clean up. possible I deleted these codecs accidentally not knowing what it was for lol *noob* 😛

Hey - I had this problem, and it turned out it was because I needed to update the Local Files preferences: 

Edit > Preferences > Local Files section of the page 

I selected the checkboxes next to all options that were not already checked (iTunes, Windows Music library), and then I tried playing the music again a few minutes later and it worked. 

Great . it fixed 

Update to Quicktime worked for me.

Suggested posts