Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Lossless CD Audio Quality

Solved!

Lossless CD Audio Quality

Spotify is brilliant.

The overall sound v versatility is well thought through and works for most users.

Using it at home, away, in the car or on foot I love the way it works.

However I'm not most users. 

For mid to high end audio the sound quality is poor as the standard has been set by vinyl in the past, then CD. Why do I want to go back to the muddy sound offered by Spotify premium, which I had in the 1970's, pre high end audio?

Here's the options. If Spotify's user market is solely aiming at mobile music users who won't go down the lossless road anyway, then Spotify will progressively lose us high end audio users to Tidal etc.

If Spotify can make a buck from the minority high end users then Spotify will go lossless and won't lose us.

Unless they can go lossless I'll be sadly leaving.

Any thoughts?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Add your comments and kudo to this idea to show your support for lossless:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Lossless-Streaming-16bit-44-1khz-CD-quality/idi-p/700...

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Marked as solution

Add your comments and kudo to this idea to show your support for lossless:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Lossless-Streaming-16bit-44-1khz-CD-quality/idi-p/700...

MattSudaSpotify Star

Spotify has 2015 to upgrade sound quality. If it doesn't sadly I will look at alternatives and change!

I just signed up for TIDAL. It kicks butt. I am loyal to Spotify but #its2015 and I should be getting lossless for my money. 

Not moving to Losseless services anytime soon mainly because

a. they may not have all the songs

b. my playslits , over 50 of em in spotify cant be converted to others as of now 

I am currently on a 3 month trial of Tidal.

However I think an upgrade in hardware will be my next consideration as
whilst I recognise Tidal to be better it's not twice as good as Spotify for
the money!

You can import you playlists to Tidal using http://soundiiz.com  Since the catalog isn't an exact match, you'll get about 90% of you playlist songs imported.  I used Spotify all the time to look for great playlist that I end up using in Tidal.  In the end, I'm really hoping Spotify end up offering lossless instead.

Hi,

that is precisely what I do. Use Spotify to discover and Tidal to listen. It is not cheap though. Tidal discovery funcion is a joke. They just advertize for what they like. Irrespecitvely of the fact that I do not listen to hip hop, this is what I end up being proposed most of the time, so I just ignore all the suggestions on the portal. Some of their playlist are really nice, but many are mediocre accumulation of new stuff, group's best off (as there was no best of ACDC for instance), and often very, very american (how mjany country, post country, indi country and country country playlist)...

A nice alternative to Tidal is Qobuz but the IT part is not their best.

What would really be nice is Spotify going lossless. I would quit Tidal on the spot. I think Spotify also got to make an effort to improve recommandantions. they use to be a central feature, but now they are limited and somewhat hidden in the app.

rds

Vlad

you can convert them with soundiiiz

Just signed up for Spotify Premium expecting to actually get high quality streaming. Nope, almost no difference at all in quality. For soundtracks this is almost unbearable. What a ripoff. iTunes has higher quality music when you buy, even at a lower compression rate. I don't know what's going on here, but I just unsubscribed. There really is no excuse for this when you're advertising higher sound quality as a premium feature. 

It is already 2016 and still no high Quality streaming. When o when will Spotify take high sound quality serious; Until then I will use Tidal. 

simple thing is : IF spotify offer same quality music as tidal = me buying it right away  until then waiting with tidal...

simple thing is : IF spotify offer same quality music as tidal = me buying it right away  until then waiting with ti dal...

Thank you! I thought I had a problem with Spotify in that it sounds more like AM than actual music. I expect more for the premium price and this is July 2017. I don't understand the attraction, it's bad sound!

Good news!

Spotify has announced that later this year lossless quality is coming and it will be called Spotify HiFi

Check out my blog post about it

Check out this news article for more information:

Five Things to Know About Spotify HiFi

MattSudaSpotify Star

No progress and no advancement on this important matter.

Silence means that this is completely forgotten thing now..

Im seriously debating what to do here..if I should wait for eternal time or switch to another service?

Qobuz sounds like beast, it's so detailed and more immersive sound than the flat, lifeless compressed file from Spotify.

Suggested posts