Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Media Overlay

Media Overlay

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Give back the Option to disable this annoying Media Overlay

Why would you remove such a simple thing? Removing Customizationoptions makes nothing better

7 Replies

Hey @DaMueller

Thanks for posting - we’re here to help!        

You can disable the media overlay by accessing Settings and scrolling down to Show desktop overlay when using media keys where you can toggle this option off. 

If you don't see this option, make sure you run a clean reinstall of Spotify on your PC. Once you're done, we recommend downloading Spotify from the Microsoft Store here.  

In case you see no difference after the clean reinstall, check your hosts file for entries that need to be deleted. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.  

Hi,

I have tried both a clean reinstall and downloading it from the Microsoft store and neither gave me the "Show desktop overlay when using media keys" option back. Very annoying to have the media keys overlay back.

There is nothing to clean up in the hosts file either.

spotify.png

Hey @4786e,

Thanks for posting on this thread and trying our suggestions.

Can you let us know the exact Spotify version you're running?

Also, could you try logging in to a different account, like a friend's or relative's, and let us know if the option isn't there either?

We'd also like to know when the option disappeared and if it was after a specific event, such as an update of the app or the OS.

We'll be looking out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

The same for me like 4786e,

Clean install with WinStore gives me Version 1.1.51.380.ga06fdc8d-a

Trying with a new, free account gives me Version 1.1.51.380.ga06fdc8d, which still has the option and also the nice Searchbar on top...

Hey there @DaMueller,

Thanks for posting on this thread.

We can confirm that you're running the New Desktop Experience on your main account, which is still being tested, and we're afraid this option isn't available there. We recommend checking this thread where you can read more about it and give your feedback. 

This is constantly being monitored and discussed by the right folks in order to improve the users' overall experience, and new features and changes are constantly being rolled out based on the feedback provided. You can also Subscribe to it so you can be on top of all the new updates we share about it.

We really appreciate your feedback and we want to hear your thoughts on this.

If you have any questions, give us a shout.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hey DaMueller,

I'm on a crusade to get the option to hide the overlay back. Please give this a vote and tell your friends to do the same:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Desktop-Other-Return-the-option-to-hide-media-keys...

Thanks

Thank you for the work around, but the fact that you can't close it by clicking a little "x" button in the corner of the overlay is terrible design. It kept popping up and blocking my work window, and you can't even drag it out of the way.

Suggested posts