New desktop UI, how do I change it back to the old?

New desktop UI, how do I change it back to the old?

KingGodCurse
Music Fan

Plan

Premium

Country

US 

Operating System

Windows 10 

My Question or Issue

After I changed my password, I signed out of all accounts and came back to my desktop app looking like the Web Player Version, when right before it was the old interface. I can't stand this new interface and have already tried to change it in the "prefs" file, but I may not have entered it right. Is there any way I can get back to the old UI, I despise this one as a frequent Spotify Desktop user since 2013. This UI is much more difficult to roam. 

27 Replies

ndlozano1990
Visitor

I really don't know how long I'll keep using Spotify with this horrible user interface. From last update the mod in prefs don't work.

SugarPopBuny
Visitor

i found if you go down in all the album pictures the is a link "view discography" then click the 3 lines in the upper right. you'll have to click discography for every artist you go to, but only have to hit the 3 lines the first time. Its super annoying but good lust on getting them to change it back. Its a work around.

Jazzerlimp
Visitor
Thank you for that tip, but unfortunately it's only partial workaround. You can not choose to play albums and singles & Ep's at the same time, you can only choose one or the other. Autoplay doesn't work when all songs have been played, even though this setting is set to "on" on my account.

So we still lack fundamental features of spotify after this update.

saturninesoul
Music Fan

This is really a disgrace. At least give us the chance to use the old one.

Nonoyerbiznez
Casual Listener
It appears when you make the change to the mac version and save the file and reopen Spotify, it removes the newly added ui.experience_override="classic" from that file. This is sucking so bad.

MochaRosee
Visitor

Spotify has one of the worst UI's right now. It doesn't even work anymore, It used too. I miss the classic spotify. Much cleaner, Easier to use.

KingGodCurse
Music Fan

Same on Microsoft. Spotify is so nasty to their users sometimes. I really wish they’d give us an option on whether or not we wanted this update. I have never more wanted to switch to another service. 

multi
Music Fan

Yeah it seems they blocked this workaround.

Nice going Spotify. Nobody likes the new UI and now you force feed it to us.

kevloral
Visitor

My Spotify app just auto updated itself and now the ui.experience_override workaround does not work any more. What a shame and what a complete lack of respect for your clients. Time to look for an alternative streaming service.

tn1197
Visitor

And for those who installed from Microsoft Store:

%localappdata%\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0\LocalState\Spotify\prefs

tlh119
Music Fan

I, too, switched back to Classic mode.  I would list out everything I despise about the new UI but I don't have all day.  I'm sure the developers will remove the ability to use classic mode soon  (Spotify is good at removing features).  I will just have to enjoy it while it lasts.

bluntestpick
Casual Listener
I loath the new UI too. Why approve such a downgrade, Spotify? I hope that workaround posted won't be blocked.

IAmGilipe

As this board is preventing my from sharing a URL, Google "reverting_to_the_classic_desktop_ui" to find the answer.

CheckTheFlo
Casual Listener

Ahah THAAAAAAANKS!! It works!! 🙂

sbebiwan
Casual Listener
Thanks a lot !

KingGodCurse
Music Fan

Thanks for that! This works. 

dinomight
Rock Star 11
Rock Star 11

Hey there @KingGodCurse, your feedback on the UI is appreciated, but I'm sorry to say there is not a way to revert to the previous design. Please feel free to continue to comment on any changes you'd like to see, and especially to vote on or submit ideas about the new UI here

dinomightRock Star 11
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

RealNC
Casual Listener

That is not correct. You can switch to the classic UI in the prefs configuration file.

acidjunkie
Regular

How does that work? 

I love Spotify but this new UI is absolutely garbage.

Search functionality often fails.

Super difficult to find out what albums an artist has. 

RealNC
Casual Listener
I added this line:

ui.experience_override="classic"

To the "prefs" file of Spotify. On Linux, the file is in the folder:

~/.config/spotify/

On Windows, it should be in:

%APPDATA%\Spotify
SUGGESTED POSTS