Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect + Downloaded music = data usage?

Solved!

Spotify Connect + Downloaded music = data usage?

My Samsung Galaxy has a bunch of downloaded/synced music on it. I can play these songs in Spotify offline mode.

I want to play this same music through my computer speakers, so I found Spotify Connect.

I am doing this through mobile data + mobile hotspot connection, so I must keep my data usage to a minimum.

My question: If I use Spotify Connect, and play DOWNLOADED / offline songs from my Galaxy phone to my PC, will my desktop Spotify stream the songs in their full data size, or will data usage from Spotify desktop be almost zero, because I have the songs downloaded on my phone?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @akti88,

Welcome to Spotify Community!

Spotify connect is only for control purposes. Your Desktop is going to stream the content and it will not be affected by the fact that you've downloaded the songs on your mobile 🙂

TL:DR  Your desktop Spotify will stream the songs in their full data size 🙂

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello @akti88,

Welcome to Spotify Community!

Spotify connect is only for control purposes. Your Desktop is going to stream the content and it will not be affected by the fact that you've downloaded the songs on your mobile 🙂

TL:DR  Your desktop Spotify will stream the songs in their full data size 🙂

Hi @dreadlord, thanks for your confirmation, even though I'm disappointed to hear that 🙂

Do you know of any way possible to achieve what I am looking for? I'm not interested in bluetooth sound streaming (for quality reasons). I know that I can simply plug my cellphone into an audio jack in my computer, but that would only process the sound through my computer speakers, not through my computer's sound card itself.

Basically, I am looking for a zero-data usage way of streaming my offline Spotify music through my computer's sound card (so that I can adjust the sound effects with Realtek drivers and Viper4Windows).

Do you think streaming over an offline LAN would do the trick? Is that possible?

Edit: Now that I think about it, I could just use my device's Viper4Android equalizer to control the sound coming out of my PC speakers, after connecting my phone to my computer. Its not ideal but it would work if nothing else. But my absolutely ideal scenario would be streaming music from my mobile Spotify, with no data usage, to my computer, and have my computer's audio drivers process that sound, not just the speakers attached to the computer.

Edit 2: I'm beginning to think this is possible with the LAN route, I will mark this thread as solution'd because further troubleshooting is probably beyond the scope of these forums.

Hi

I know it's an old post, but can't you just download the same playlist on your computer and it will use the offline files there when playing it through Spotify Connect?

Suggested posts