Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify constantly buffering/lagging

Spotify constantly buffering/lagging

i use the free version of spotify at work every day on windows 7 and have been using it for a good 6 months now. loved every minute of it until the last week!

the songs are taking forever to load now instead of instantly playing like they used to and even worse they are constantly stopping. i haven't had a song play all the way through for over a week now. it appears that the songs are buffering or similar however nothing on my end has changed lately. same computer, same internet speed (6mb/s from speedtest.net, not amazing but has been sufficient for a long time and can stream videos from youtube perfectly fine), no other new programs or settings.

so far i have been looking on the net for solutions and have so far, based on info i have found, i have tried turning hardware acceleration on/off, disabling my trend micro, doing a complete clean re-installation of spotify (including restarting the computer in between re-installation) and changing our dns server to 8.8.4.8 etc.  Nothing seems to have worked so far so does anybody have any other solutions they have tried and worked or is this not a problem on my end and the servers or something are being over taxed?? help please, this constant pausing/buffering is driving me nuts!!

83 Replies

Yeah I've been having the same hassles for the past few days. The problem seems intermittant and it's not related to my adsl connection which is testing as normal. I'm on a premium (paid) account and I'm not happy to be paying Spotify for nothing. I have sent a complaint in to tech support, so it'll be interesting to see how long it takes them to respond and to see what the response is. I do expect some credit for the crap service if they want to keep me happy, and indeed if they want to keep me as a subscriber.

I'm not filled with confidence when I note that their support form page insists on checking which OS one is using, but doesn't give an option for Windows 8. And this is funny, I hit their spell check button on this message page and it tells me that "spotify" is not found and suggests I that I replace the word with "spotifuggle". Has this company taken it's eye off the ball??

Same issues here. On premium. Only started a few days ago. Prior to this it has been working fine for months.

Song will stop playing/buffering for about 30 seconds. Will repeat this process about 10 times throughout the song. It's basically unusable. Internet connection is fine, been monitoring all data in and out. It is getting quite annoying

Same thing is happening to me, its really annoying having to wait over 30 for about 10 seconds of a song to load, its gotten to the point where I'm having to resort to youtube to listen to music because its actually willing to load it 😕

Ok SPOTIFY... I along with a countless number of your PAID and free subscribers are having this issue with no solution in sight or even a meaningful update. I have a really big thing for poor customer service and that is what I call this. So here is what we are going to do.. I am going to stop paying you for a service i cant and have not been able to use in over a week. I would advise you to come up with a solution and QUICK or someone is going to be out of business. People will not continue to pay for music they are not getting.

Waiting 10 seconds before a song loads to here 10 seconds of that song then buffering for another 20 seconds is UNEXCEPTABLE. 

I need a response, quickly or im cancelling my subscription.

I just upgraded to premium once again (from free) and have been having the exact same problem as soon as I signed up.

Might just lodge a paypal complaint.

Will also be cancelling premium subscription if this is not fixed soon.

On Spotify premium, does this occur only when High Quality Streaming is set to on, or when you are on normal streaming quality too? You can change the value from Edit > Preferences.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

in all modes in all variations (normal, high, extreme qualtity Streaming and Donwload)

This issue JUST started for me today too! EVERY song keeps stopping all through OUT the music start stop... SOME songs can go half way through w/o a 'pause' or buffer or whatever... but NOW every song seems to be doing this!? Uuuge... I'm on a brand new computer that uses Windows 8 and it never had this issue since I've had it. Only today just started this. I'm HOPING it's just a 'Spotify' issue... Funny, SINCE writing this (as I listen to Spotify RIGHT NOW) It hasn't done it ONCE... YET. Just hope there's a FIX soon!

@Shivonne wrote:
This issue JUST started for me today too! EVERY song keeps stopping all through OUT the music start stop... SOME songs can go half way through w/o a 'pause' or buffer or whatever... but NOW every song seems to be doing this!? Uuuge... I'm on a brand new computer that uses Windows 8 and it never had this issue since I've had it. Only today just started this. I'm HOPING it's just a 'Spotify' issue... Funny, SINCE writing this (as I listen to Spotify RIGHT NOW) It hasn't done it ONCE... YET. Just hope there's a FIX soon!

There are several known issues running Spotify on Windows 8, which is why it is still not officially supported. I would suggest you have a read at this topic for fixes and work arounds. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Exactly the same.

Slow buffering in all modes since maybe 2 weeks. For the last few days, it was just unusable, I am now in Offline mode otherwise I can't listen music (infinite buffering, stopping in the middle of a song...).

Premium account // Australia, Melbourne // iinet provider // Windows 7 // I reinstalled Spotify - nothing changed

I love(d) Spotify.

I really want to support you and Irecommendeditveryactivelyforthelastfewyears.

But it became really unusable and I already stopped to recommend it to my friends...

Please, do something, you have a wonderful service, don't waste it like that...

Also with iinet. Have been having this exact issue for a week now.

The beta web player works fine however.

I'm having the same problem now, but it is also locking up my computer in the process. I'll give it another week.

Yep, On iiNet also

I've also just started in the last few days to experience constant buffering problems with spotify. Songs constantly take 10+ seconds to load and those that do load stop after just a few seconds. I keep having to resort to offline play to actually hear any music (though at the moment I'm limited to only listening to those songs I marked for offline play a few weeks ago). I have a friend on the other side of the country that this is also happening to.

As a premium subscriber I find this very annoying.

Same problem on iinet / win7 / win8 / Android !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

Same issue.... Spotify is absolutely unusable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Need a fix quickly.....

Sent over 3 hrs trying to fix this!

Pro Account, iiNet Perth, Mac OSX 10.8.2, re-installed with Cache deleted still not fixed. Works fine on my iPhone from same WiFi. 

SICK OF THIS CRAP!! fix or please refund for the past month as this has been happening for 2 weeks now.

There's a post about this on the whirlpool iinet forums. Seems to be linked to Perth.

However it's running fine tonight.

Edit: Spoke to soon

Suggested posts