Spotify crashes immediatly

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Whenever I open the Spotify app on my laptop it crashes. It shows that its open in the taskbar and the icon shows up for a split second in the tray. If I hover over it in the taskbar the window is blank and closes right after. It worked previously but I had to uninstall due to other issues. Now after I reinstalled it wont work. I have tried to use the win7-8.1 installation but that didnt work either.

The laptop is from school and managed so I do not have administrative permissions and the Microsoft Store is blocked. So the only option I have is the web and desktop from spotify.com. And the web doesn't work as good.

I also know this has been posted previously but none of those solutions worked.

12 Replies

Hi there @Krankenztein,

Thanks for reaching out. You mentioned Windows 7-8.1 installations - these are no longer supported. Also please do not try to install older versions of Spotify as this cannot be done in any legimitate manner and only the latest version is officially supported. Also be advised that when it comes to school/company laptops, the local restrictions can cause several issues. If necessary, you can discuss this with the IT administration of your school so that they can help you manage things. 

Regarding the issue itself. Does the webplayer work as expected? Can you log into your account normally in the browser? If you haven't tried yet, try performing a clean reinstall, this is much different from the regular one and can solve a multitude of issues. Again, if necessary, reach out to the IT department so they can help you with the steps.

Hope this helps.

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same here. Tried clean reinstall, resetting app, repairing... Can't use it at all. Webplayer does fine. I think the new and awful UI can't load my content and thus crashes.

Hey @Korsin,

As a next step, can you please check your hosts file using these steps?

Let us know how it goes.

MihailYModerator

Followed the steps and didn't work. I have the same issue as @Krankenztein

Hey @Huothar,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We'd also recommend giving this a try on a different network, for example you can start a hotspot of your phone and use that network to test if the app behaves the same way.

If the issue persists, it might be a good idea to turn off VPN if you're using one. It's worth mentioning that the private tunnels and VPN's re-route network traffic and that might interfere with the app's performance on your device.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes and give us a shout if you have any further questions 🙂 

LyubkaModerator

Ok, with all due respect, that’s nonsense and it actually tells me you don’t have an answer, at least for now.

I guess I’ll have to wait some update. Thanks.

Hey @Huothar,

Thanks for your reply.

We understand where you're coming from; nevertheless, all the info we've asked helps us rule out and isolate different things to help resolve this inconvenience. Rest assured, we're doing our best to help you with this odd behavior.

On another note, do you use a VPN? We've asked above because Spotify doesn't officially support VPNs. This means that issues with the app while using a VPN are expected. So, if you use one, we'd suggest switching it off to see if you notice any difference.

Just to confirm, have you tried using a different network as suggested by @Lyubka above? If you haven't, we'd recommend giving it a shot.

At the moment, it's possible to download the app from both the Microsoft Store and our Web page here. So in this case, if you install the desktop app from the web page, try to uninstall that version and try installing the one from the Microsoft one or vice versa.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

@AlejaR

Yes, I've reinstalled from both sources and tried opening from different networks. And no, I don't use VPN.

I really think it's the new UI vs my profile because I can open the app if I'm not logged in.

Hey @Huothar,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the info shared.

To check if it could be account-related as you suspected, it would be great if you could have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a friend or a family member, to see if the issue persists.

Lastly, would you mind including in your next response the make, model, and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running to continue investigating the case?

We appreciate your cooperation. Let us know how it goes.

OscarDCModerator

I haven't been able to find someone to log their account in my pc but today I realised there's also loading problems on the library viewer on the web player.

App version is 1.211.916.0. HP Laptop 15-bs0xx, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

PD: I could find someone. Her account logged in and the app didn't crash. I've confirmed now that I just can't use my account on the new useless and horrible UI. I've been here since 2012 and I never saw an update so awful and unnecessary.

Hey @Huothar,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

It seems in this case that this could be account-related. That being said, we'd suggest you to create a new free account and test for a couple of days.

If everything is working as it should on the new account, we suggest you continue using that one. You can unify both your old and new account by transferring all your music. You can find the steps to do it here.

Keep in mind you can also reach out to our Customer Support team, so they can help you transfer all your playlists and music to the new account. If you have a Premium plan active, they can also provide some further suggestion on how to proceed. You can find out how to contact them here.

We hope you found this helpful. Let us know if you need anything else.

AlejaRModerator

Is NOT account related. On mobile all my library loads. It's related to this latest update. UI can't load properly. I'll add screenshot of the web player.

I definitely will not be the only one with this issue.

ps: If I must make a new account it definitely won't be here.

shitify.jpg

Suggested posts