Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes when adding/removing tracks from playlist

Solved!

Spotify crashes when adding/removing tracks from playlist

So I'm listening to a Radio, a song comes up that I want to add to a playlist, I click on teh album art and select add to playlist select the playlist then BAM music stops, dissapears. I'm rocking a W7 with plenty of memory (8core) NO reason for it to crash.

Also went to play Que to add the song Still crashes

If you can help it would be appreciated cause I'm getting angry.

[Edit - Title for clarity - Mod]

601 Replies

This is out of control. This is day 7 and still no fix. And to think I have been paying for this. Anyone have a good recommendation for another music program similar to Spotify (but that give a crap about their product)?

@Suicidl wrote:

This is out of control. This is day 7 and still no fix. And to think I have been paying for this. Anyone have a good recommendation for another music program similar to Spotify (but that give a crap about their product)?

I'm trying out a trial of Rdio.com.  It has a web app and is on iOS.  So far it works pretty well.  Google Play Music All Access is another, but it doesn't currently have a native iOS app.  There are a couple of third party iOS apps that supposedly work pretty good with Google and Google is working on an iOS app that is supposed to be released soon.

This seems to mainly affect deleting and when I add it to a playlist through the album work.  If I right-click on the title song and add it to a playlist it doesn't crash, or at least as far as I can tell.  But regardless, I'm chiming in that yes it's happening to me as well, Spotify on Mac OSX.

An update... For context, my problem was deleting tracks from a 3000+ track "heavy-churn" playlist - that is, I'm doing lots of adding and deleting of tracks with this playlist. Yesterday I created a fresh playlist and copied all the tracks from my heavy-churn playlist to it - for the rest of the day I churned away without incident. I opened up Spotify this evening and the 2nd track deletion crashed the client. I've now copied to yet another list and deleted three tracks so far from that without a problem.

So, I continue to suspect the root issue is corruption of playlists, and the workaround for me is if it happens once, copy the playlist and start over...

and... it crashed on the next delete:-(. Maybe it was a mistake to reuse the name of the original problem playlist?

Starting over yet again with a totally fresh playlist name - at least getting in a few deletes between crashes is progress of a sort...

This happens to me too! I just started paying for Spotify Premium so I can have my playlists on my phone. And now spotify crashes EVERYTIME I add anything to any playlist.

HELP!!!!

Still happening to me as well

Nope, only got 2-3 deletes on the new playlist. My luck ran out, the work-around doesn't work for very long.

Anyway, to be fair to Spotify, corruption issues (like I'm assuming this is) are difficult to reproduce and debug. However, to be fair to Spotify users who actively manage their lists, this is a KILLER bug.

I'm having the same problem- I have a Windows; and I'm listening to a Play queue that I added songs to, and when I try to move songs I like to my playlist, my spotify just closes. ;c

I'm having the same issue as everyone else. I don't often need to delete tracks, but I often wish to add them. Spotify crashes almost every time I try to do so. I always have lots of programs open, due to work. I haven't had time to experiment with patterns of adding and deleting. But as others have said, this is incredibly disruptive and needs to be solved ASAP. 

Thank you.

anyone know if the devs are actually doing anything about this?  i have been checking this thread for days for even a work around that helps and nothing has changed.  not looking for a work around.  looking for an update

Yup, I'm having the same thing happen when I try to drag and drop songs to playlist (MAC).

Just adding info in the hopes that Spotify looks into this:

When listening to a play list, and adding a song to that same play list, the Spotify application crashes.

This has been seen with both a mac OS and Windows machine.

This is seen by dragging and dropping, or by right clicking and choosing to add it to a playlist.

This is not seen everytime, but about 85% of the time, using songs from many different artists.

Please fix.

-Heeesh

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one having this problem! Spotify crashes on both my work and home computer which are on Windows 7 when I add a track to a playlist. Hope this gets resolved soon!

It appears to me to be an issue with the latest client. I have Windows client version 0.9.1.57.ge7405149. Has anyone tried installing an older client to see if the crashes stop?  I've crashed well over 100 times on 2 different Windows 7 64 bit laptops as I have lots of playlists which I'm constantly tweaking. Spotify is very fast in releasing new features but it takes them forever to fix bugs which effective millions of users.

@jdengel

Indeed, our developers are looking into this and we hope to be able to push the fix out to everyone as early as next week. We're sorry about the pain this is causing and we'll hopefully have everyone sorted out before long.

Marked as solution

The following, as suggested in the troubleshooting thread, worked for me:

B. Troubleshooting / Uninstalling
Please follow the below troubleshooting steps to see if you can resolve the issue on your own 

1. Make sure that Spotify is no longer running (Spotify » Quit Spotify)
  2. Manually delete these folders:
    ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
    ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify
  3. Delete the Spotify application in the Applications folder
  4. Restart your computer at this point.
  5. Reinstall Spotify (download)

You hope to have it out "as early as next week"? Are you bloody kidding me? This needs to be fixed NOW.

- - -
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
- Jorge Luis Borges

It seems to me that Spotify owes its paying customers a refund for the days that this thing has been dysfunctional.    Perhaps if the software hadn't been loaded up with crap like telling me what I allegedlyy liked in high school this wouldn't have happened.  Spotify has the potential to be great.  It's being turned into junk.

From what I've seen during my time as a customer Spotify doesn't add or fix any of the stuff the community wants. Taking forever to fix something, I've often been thinking about changing to another service...

Suggested posts