Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify for Windows Broken?

Spotify for Windows Broken?

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

Asus ROG GL756

Operating System

Windows 10 64bit

My Question or Issue

Hello, after I installed the most recent Windows 10 update my spotify app hasn't been working properly, as such it has constantly been presenting me with a "Spotify failed to migrate your data" pop-up, to remedy this I attempted to unistall the desktop app but it simply gives me the same popup and opens spotify again. The app also will not pull music from my local data folders, and it doesn't change my offline songs location no matter how many times I attempted to tell it to do so and restarted the app AND my computer.

6 Replies

Hi, i have a similar issue.

Everytime i start up Spotify, i get the same pop up message. Spotify then takes a while to start but once it is running, it is extremely slow. I'm talking 30 sec for a playlist to load or 1 min to search for an artist. If i then shut the app down, i get the pop up message: Spotify is not responding and i have to wait for like 1 hour before i can start the Spotify app back upp and then it's works like a charm.

Spotify on my phone works flawlessly so i don't know why this issue occurs but it's really annoying.

No kidding, My phone and tablet are fine, so I think this has to be something on Spotify's end, or it could be due to the most recent windows 10 update messing something up as it always does!

Having the same issue. Really do think it's Windows updates (Windows updates I tell you). 

Won't even work on all 3 of my browsers (Chrome, Firefox and Edge). Extremely frustrating to say the least. 

Hello @4g_1y6-kslfc8 @KnightlyAurora @Callumatic !

There seems to be some bugs with the desktop app recently and Spotify is investigating the issues. The issues you are experiencing is somehow similar to this and there is a workaround for that which seems to be working for some users. Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let me know if you have further questions. This fix is not for the exact problem you are experiencing but it's worth a shot since it seems to be fixing the whole desktop app for most of the users. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon.

Have a nice day 🙂

This Wasn't the solution for my problem, as it isn't a connection problem at all. This is a case of my settings refusing to update properly, and I am unable to uninstall spotify to try and correct this sort of issue entirely.

Thanks. Got it working. Even got the friend activity tab which hadn't been working for a few months. 

Suggested posts