Country

Finland

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10, version 1909

My Question or Issue

Hello,

My Spotify is kind of bricked at the moment on my desktop, because I can not play any music unless I've started the song from my iPhone while being connected to my PC, but even then I can't change or choose a new song unless I change my device first to phone.

I can search songs, I can browse my playlists, I can do everything but play a song. Something strange is going on because the problem exists also via other devices, like mentioned before.

I have tried the basic fixes, relogging and loggin out of every device, reinstalled program both from web and Windows App Store, cleared cache and appdata. Nothing has solved the issue so far. No Windows updates in last 2 weeks. Problem started yesterday.

I hope someone reads this message.

5 Replies

Hey there @jorkkis9191

Thanks for reaching out - we’re here to help!

Start off by checking the hosts file on your PC. Make sure to clear any entries that need to be removed. Follow the steps described here on how to clean your hosts.  

If you still experience the issue after performing this, it's a good idea to try logging in to a different Spotify account on the affected device just to check if you observe the same. If the issue occurred across multiple devices it might be account related. In case it works with another account, you can follow the steps in this Spotify Answer next. 

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here in case you need any further help with this.  

Hey,

nothing was found in the hosts-file, checked that also before but forgot to mention it. The problem exists with a different accounts with my desktop PC. Web player is fine, but the standalone desktop version does not work in either version from web or Windows App Store. 

I can start a song from other device and listen to it, and the Play-button in the bottom of the player works, but changing songs (choosing from playlist or from previous/next buttons) does not.

Hi again,

I just installed the most recent Windows update (v. 2004), and it fixed the issue. I hope you can provide this info to other users if the same exact problem occurs.

I also heard from other people that their PC:s have had mysterious problems and installing the latest patch fixed their issues.

@jorkkis9191

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

We're happy to hear the issue you experienced was fixed with the latest Windows update. Other users will find this helpful for resolving their issues once they reach this thread and see what helped in your case.   

Don't hesitate to leave us a comment if anything pops up. 

Enjoy your music! 

Suggested posts