Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't open - Windows 7

Solved!

Spotify won't open - Windows 7

Hello, and welcome to another won't open post.

I've seached through many of these threads for a solution, but none exactly match my specs and or problem I'm experiencing.

Basically it either crashes right as its opening, or I get "Spotify has stopped working" and I'm forced to Close program.

So it started about 2 weeks ago and with what little time I have, I haven't found a solution. I only started using Spotify for the first time on my PC 4-6 weeks ago. This seems to have started right after I installed a new Sound card; Creative Sound Blaster Z (PCI-E) Card, and associated drivers and software.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 

Service Pack 1

Spotify Version:

0.9.1.57 (only one available for download)

User Name:

dlxhammer

I have tried multiple times to do a 'Clean Install'

I even tried uninstalling the Sound Card Drivers and Software.

Below is my most recent Application Error Event Log:

Faulting application name: Spotify.exe, version: 0.9.1.57, time stamp: 0x51d2cabf

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18205, time stamp: 0x51db9710

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x000ce753

Faulting process id: 0xe48

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce9af3c39d4c43

Faulting application path: C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 0ba1fa37-06e7-11e3-835e-f46d0440d1f2

Im not at all familiar with an Event Log. I just noticed it being used in other topics. However, when comparing multiple events I noticed tha the 'Faulting module name:' is not always the same; ntdll.dll (as above), spotify.exe and libcef.dll

It's been frustrating (especially with my new sound card) not being able to use Spotify.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

After a quick brows through the most recent posts of THIS very active thread on the subject, I found The Solution!

I did indeed have one or more songs in a playlist that are no longer available.

Once I discovered these song(s) (from the web player/client), I simply deleted them for the playlist(s). The playlists created by 'Following' had to be 'Unfollowed' if they contained unavailable songs (Identified by grey text).

Once that was done, I closed the web client and then successfully opened Spotify!

This should be an easy fix for people reading this and should defiantly be addressed in the next Spotify Update.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

11 Replies

So I am seeing something similar, just the last two days or so. I try to open spotify and the screen pops up that says 'initializing' and then it closes. Spotify.exe is not running on the processor list. I tried reinstalling it, and reinstalling it in safe mode. After a safe mode uninstall, trying to reinstall it and it says 'spotify cannot be started. Error code :17'. Windows 7 64bit.

@DLXHammer Hi, it seems that you're getting a hardware error. Have you checked that you have the latest drivers installed? 

@beandip Can you try following the steps in this post to see if it works for you.

So I ran a few "Required" windows updates and found most of my current drivers to be up to date...

Like:

Graphics Card

Intel Chipset

Sound Card

The only thing requiring an update was my 'Wired Netwoking'

Other than the mentioned, I cant think of any more to check.

I am still having the same exact problem as described in my OP. 

Did you check for newer drivers on Creative's site?

Would you also be able to post your Spotify username? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I had the current drivers already, directly from the Creative's web site. I even tried an older driver and it still crashes every time.

I even went as far as removing the drivers and software AND THE SOUND CARD from my PC.

I then installed my onboard sound driver (Realtek HD) and tried Spotify. It actually started up once. But didn't have any of my playlists and was able to play/sample music from the 'Discover' screen. But once I closed and restarted Spotify it showed my playlists but most were loading when it crashed (which is what it usually does before it crashes/stops working).

It almost seem like that's what's causing Spotify to stop working. It's always loading Playlists and syncing/loading Local Files when it closes/crashes.

I'm going to re install my Sound Card, since it didn't change anything. And will keep playing around with hardware drivers.

Thanks for the input/help so far. Hope it gets resolved soon:(

My user name (dlxhammer) has been added to my OP

Update:

I ran a memory test (memtest86) over night. 7 passes with 0 errors.

Marked as solution

After a quick brows through the most recent posts of THIS very active thread on the subject, I found The Solution!

I did indeed have one or more songs in a playlist that are no longer available.

Once I discovered these song(s) (from the web player/client), I simply deleted them for the playlist(s). The playlists created by 'Following' had to be 'Unfollowed' if they contained unavailable songs (Identified by grey text).

Once that was done, I closed the web client and then successfully opened Spotify!

This should be an easy fix for people reading this and should defiantly be addressed in the next Spotify Update.

Cheers!

I think this might be my problem as well! The only problem is that I don't know how to get to the greyed out songs to delete them because I can't even get Spotify to open anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really miss my music 😞 Thanks so much!

Are you able to accessyour account from spotify browser When i couldnt open mine I used their open browser option off the web.Browse - Featured spotify player link , Hope it works for you.

@Ashtyn wrote:

I think this might be my problem as well! The only problem is that I don't know how to get to the greyed out songs to delete them because I can't even get Spotify to open anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really miss my music 😞 Thanks so much!

Suggested posts